1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Verizon rep says 2.1 in q1 2010 to hack 2.1 on or not...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by EvilWays, Feb 4, 2010.

1. EvilWays

EvilWays Banned

ok, so i just got on the droid bandwagon, the rep at the store said 2.1 as coming at this point within a matter of weeks. i consider myself a preety good googler but i havent found anything to support the reps claims, i see some custom roms on here with 2.1, some of which even overclocking the processor and hiding some of the useless stuff, so should i hack, or should i just kick back and wait for verizon?
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  2. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

First off welcome aboard. Second the 2.1 ROMS out are a little buggy right now, the overclocked ROMS. Are 2.0.1 ROMS. They have some of the 2.1 apps included. So reallyit comes down to how patient you want to be. I rooted last week, had mine since mid Nov. and am not looking back. 2.1 is a minor update really and I'm sure will be rooted soon after its official. I like the freedom of a rooted droid so its a personal choice right now.
  3. Moondonkey

Moondonkey New Member

Whats a gooler?
  4. lockman

lockman New Member

Well, since you're a preety good gooler, you should know we've been hearing this for a while. I'd stick it out if I were you.
  5. EvilWays

EvilWays Banned

i see theres tether apps out, pinch and zoom and various other bits, im mostly looking toward an overclock to 800mhz and the optimizations that B¡tchin' Bægel speaks of in their post here. im new to droid in general, i had the pre on sprint prior so i didnt really pay attention to what was going on in this community. but in terms of googling answers to my own question, i see there was alot of rumors of a jan 22 release witch ended up being the service updat to 2.0.1 but havent seen any firm confirmation of a 2.1 release. dunno...
  6. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    First it was January 21st, then the end of January, now sometime in the first quarter. Seriously, you are going to wait forever for this app and then more so before it gets rooted.

Do what you want, but you still will be missing things when OTA 2.1 comes out. Sure, you will have Flash (I would rarely use this anyhow), but that is thought to be available as an app download at that point. Furthermore you will still be missing the multitouch browers and maps and whatnot. So what will you have with OTA 2.1 that you can't have right now (except for Flash, which like I said is rumored to be an app download at that point)?
  7. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

:welcome:
    The first thing to consider is that the rep from the store doesn't know JACK!!! There are several tech and CS reps on this board and they will all tell you that they (and store employees) will be the LAST to know anything...

Second, even IF h3ll froze over and he had a legit knowledge Q1 means it can be between now and the end of April (so 2-3 more months).

Third, there are several AMAZING cooked 2.0.1 ROMs that are already running BETTER than the official/OTA 2.1 will when it's first released so you're better off, IMHO flashing now (Bugless Beast .7.4 is AWESOME). If you don't believe it look deeper into the failure (I me launch) of the Nexus 1. Most of those issues are stemming from problems from 2.1... so Moto has to work all those out (or wait for Google to work them out) before it can release anything decent for us (see point number 2).

Of course it's your call but you WON'T be sorry if you do decide to tinker of the next few months.

www.rootyoudroid.info
  8. EvilWays

EvilWays Banned

yeah, i think thats good advice warrior, now, is returning the phone back to stock possible after its been modded? thats something i never even considered with the pre. mat, as far as flash being a downloadable app, i cant see that happening anytime soon and flash is something i am looking forward to (i have an hour and a half commute to work everyday so hulu would be nice.)
  9. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Yes you can return it to stock
  10. EvilWays

EvilWays Banned

thanks dude, wow im gonna like it here, it used to take days to get this many responses on the pre forums...
  11. HMJB

HMJB New Member

Yeeeeah Flash..... streaming videos.. Hula..

lol cant wait for that to come to the Droid.

Yeah go ahead hack it up. When 2.1 comes out, you can easily go back to stock to get the update if you are impatient or you could just relax and wait for the people who make roms to hack it up for us (they are pretty quick)
  12. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Well, I'm a post whore. I hit "new posts" probably 400 times a day.
  13. Moondonkey

Moondonkey New Member

of course we are fast at responding, have you seen our kickass phone?!!
  14. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

I don't respond a lot from my phone, the hardware keyboard lags like a ***** on this forum.
  15. Mars

Mars New Member

when 2.1 comes out the great developers will come up with something new so while ur waiting might as well ROOT and overclock..

dont miss out on the fun
  16. EvilWays

EvilWays Banned

yeah, rooted...that was easy enough... going with bugless beauty. so tethering... verizon doesnt know about this and i wont get charged for it as if i had the pre plus with the hotspot app??? my girl will kill me if i add to our bill...
  17. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Do a search on the Wifi tethering and you will see people have talked and debated about it over and over again.
  18. Techenigma

Techenigma New Member

I voted to hack the hell out of it. I myself am running Bugless Beast, currently in v. 0.7.4. I'm overclocked to 1 Ghz. I have all the 2.1 apps, multitouch in Google Maps/Navigation, Media Gallery, and in my browser (Thanks to the Milestone ports)

It runs fast, looks exactly how I want it to (Thanks to Metamorph) and stands out to all those running their stock Droid ROM's.

I blocked all the OTA (Over-the-Air) updates because even when 2.1 is pushed out I don't want it. At least until it is rooted, deodexed, and there are new app ports available for it. Then I'll start this whole thing over again. To me the Droid is the enthusiast superphone. If I wanted to run stock, controlled apps in a locked down operating system I'd own an iPhone. I own a Droid because I love VZW and their superior network and because I want to have it living on the bleeding edge of its capabilities.

But hey to each his own....
  19. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

I kept it simple and did the Sholes Updater app root and flash. Very easy. Then OC'd to 800mhz. Droid is like a new phone. Forget waiting, enjoy it now. :) You can always update when it comes out :)
  20. phreek

phreek New Member

Welcome, I was in the same boat you were. I got mine in December and decided to root and install Bugless Beast today. I'm not overclocked to 800mhz and having WiFi tethering rocks! I can wait a while until 2.1 comes out and gets hacked.

As far as Flash and Hulu, there's a TV.com app that's so-so.