Verizon price change question

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can always talk to VZW and change your plan. You don't need to be a new customer to take advantage :)

Spectral

Reaction score
yeah you just need to call in and it can be taken care of for you.

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
Well, you won't see a change unless you change your plan. And nothing is official until you see it on the VZ website.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Found the thread on page 3. Man, you leave this place for a few hours and miss alot.

edit - I think the 9.99 mandatory data plan on 3g capable phones is appauling. We were going to add a line for my 10yr old son, and one of the phones he wanted was the Moto Rival. Before it would only cost $10 for an extra line. Now it will be $20 for that phone or basically any decent phone besides some crappy flip phone. We ended up getting him a pre-paid phone to see how he did with it and looks like we will stay with that now. If VZW is doing forcing people to do this so they stop getting angry customers whos kids run up but bills with data, give us the ability to lock that off the device.

Last edited:

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Found the thread on page 3. Man, you leave this place for a few hours and miss alot.

edit - I think the 9.99 mandatory data plan on 3g capable phones is appauling. We were going to add a line for my 10yr old son, and one of the phones he wanted was the Moto Rival. Before it would only cost $10 for an extra line. Now it will be $20 for that phone or basically any decent phone besides some crappy flip phone. We ended up getting him a pre-paid phone to see how he did with it and looks like we will stay with that now. If VZW is doing forcing people to do this so they stop getting angry customers whos kids run up but bills with data, give us the ability to lock that off the device.

Yeah I think it is a load of crap too. We just switched over from AT&T. The only phone my daughter really liked was the enV Touch. Had to ad the $10 data plan just to get it. My wife got the enV3 and now that is going to require a data plan when we renew.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
With my 4 kids, They all have cells.....They get what I give them, it makes calls and does text. If they want a smart phone, they can get their own contract and pay for it themselves...Comes down to who's the parent IMO....

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
With my 4 kids, They all have cells.....They get what I give them, it makes calls and does text. If they want a smart phone, they can get their own contract and pay for it themselves...Comes down to who's the parent IMO....

I think thats a little short sighted. Many phones that arent smart phones are now requiring a $10/mo data plan on top of the $10 add a line.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Amen brother. If my 15 yr. old gets a new phone, he will pay for the data plan if he has to have data on a dumbphone. With age comes responsibility and with responsibility comes time to start paying the bills for the things he wants. I guess I'm a tough parent. I don't want him going through life thinking everything should just be handed to them like our government wants us to do.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I think thats a little short sighted. Many phones that arent smart phones are now requiring a $10/mo data plan on top of the $10 add a line.
I can think of many phones that won't require data. Read my comment to Backnblack.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score

I can think of many phones that won't require data. Read my comment to Backnblack.

It has nothing to do with wanting a data plan on a phone and/or making the kid pay for it. I have a 10yr old that has no desire for a data plan. On the pre-paid phone he has now he has access to data but does not use it. We were considering getting him a phone through VZW so its all free txt + mobile to mobile but now many phones that he would like also will require a $10/mo data plan EVEN IF HE DOESNT USE IT.

JFDroid

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this new data structure is to cover Verizon's ass from the FCC. The FCC was all upset about Verizon charging people for 1 megabyte of data on their "dumbphones" or "multimedia" phones by accidentally clicking on the web browser or other web feature. These people of course don't have data plans, so they get charged $1.99. Maybe this change isn't entirely because of this issue with the FCC, but I don't see it hurting Verizon Wireless' case.

For many, this does suck, but this will also help eliminate people getting charged the $1.99 charge. For the people who were getting the $1.99 charge every month, it's really only about an $8 increase, and while that isn't nothing, it isn't a ton of money, either. Regardless, I think requiring things is the way of the future, so we might as well get used to it.

If you want to buy a phone that can (even if you don't intend to use the feature) browse the web for your kid, you are going to have to pay to be allowed to use that feature, whether you use it or not.

I guess I look at phones like cars at this point. If you need a car for your kid that is simple, gets them from point A to point B, and isn't fancy or does anything extra, getting a used Ford Focus or something like that will do. A lot of kids in high school and college drive these, and they don't upgrade to nicer cars that are more fancy, reliable, and have bigger engines until they get out of high school or college and start their own lives and get into the professional world. Obviously, you won't trust them in your BMW or something, because your BMW is expensive and you probably can't afford one for you and for them. If you can, you have too much money and are wasting it on things your kid doesn't need at that age.

My point is that if you don't use the feature, instead of getting something that is capable of such a feature you aren't intending to use, get something that isn't even able to have that feature you won't use and you won't have to worry about paying for it!

It's the same with phones. If your kid just needs a way to call and text, maybe you should be looking at a 'dumb' phone that can do those things and that's it. Wanting a feature phone is just that... wanting a phone that has FEATURES. Features are extras, non-necessities, and they cost money to use. The data you suck up has to be paid by your wireless carrier some way, and you can bet they are going to charge you for the usage and then try to make some money off of it at the same time. That's business.

People get caught up in what looks "pretty" and "nice" and think that they should be allowed to have that without having to pay for the features on the phone.

You can go ahead and *****, but it won't change anything to Verizon. They have the smallest revenue from data of any carrier, so it's really about increasing revenue from data. Verizon is always the last to enact charges (i.e. $35 restocking fee... they didn't charge this until EVERY competitor did it first, and then they jumped on board to keep up). Verizon charges people the least they have to to make a decent amount of money and stay in business.

Most people are lucky, because Verizon DEEPLY subsidizes phones to make them cheaper for consumers, and yeah contracts aren't fun, but would you rather be under contract or shell out $500 for every new phone you get and STILL have to pay the same monthly bill? I think the fact that the Nexus One has barely sold at all shows that the "unlocked, unsubsidized" pricing model blows completely, not because it's a horrible deal, but because people are spoiled and used to getting something really nice for really cheap.

Verizon has the best network, the best customer service, and is starting to have one of the best selection of phones. And once more phones come out and the years go by, Verizon's 4G network is only going to be even better.

The internet isn't cheap. If you want high-speed, desktop class browsing on-the-go, you must pay for it. If you want anything at all, you have to pay for it. That's life, I don't see the point in complaining.