Verizon Plans to Stop Unsanctioned Tethering that Uses Unofficial Apps

bplewis24

Reaction score
It's probably not surprising, but what do you guys think of this development?

Source: SlashGear

What do I think? I think it's more unsubstantiated speculation. I traced the source of the original article (through 5! different links) back to a MobileDia and Forbes article which gives no specific statement from the company, but instead relies on the evidence of people using Jailbroken Tethering apps being redirected to a Verizon Sign-up page for their Hot Spot services. However, I just attempted to tether now with Wireless Tether and it worked fine.

What does this mean? It could mean a few different things:

1) This is only specific to certain Jailbroken apps (meaning iPhone users)
2) This could eventually catch up to all unauthorized tethering apps.
3) Verizon has already done all it can do to stop unauthorized tethering, so if you can still tether, there is nothing to worry about unless you are in the top 5-15% of data abusers.

There are other things it could mean, but I'm not wasting time speculating on it until more concrete evidence shows up.

Brandon

Yeah just a rumor until were hear it from vzw themselves, but if they do have a way to detect tethering I see no reason why they wouldn't implement something like this...we'll see...

It all depends on how they go about detecting it. Front-end (like the DX Gingerbread update) where it's built into the OS, or back-end by using some type of IP filtering? Do they simply target specific apps? We don't know any of that stuff yet so it's just a guessing game until then.

I'm not too worried because other than my trip to Vegas (where hotel wifi was $5/night), I never tether unless it's an emergency. But I still like the option to be there.

Brandon

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
how would vzw know you are tethering? I stream movies and music to my phone. and burn thru 4-5gig a cycle.

I don't know if they can tell when you use a third party app but from the way they were keeping track of my data usage when I signed up for tethering through Verizon they have some way to tell.
It might be that when they turn the tethering on to your phone there is some kind of different address or something so they can break the regular data apart from the tethering data.

The only reason I looked at the date usage is because I got an email from Verizon stating that I had used 900 mb in 4 days and that I was on track to go over 2 gb for the month. Of course I was furious that I was even getting this message since I am grandfathered into unlimited data & could not imagine that I was going to use that much in a month since I was not doing anything different than previous months with my usage.

I called Verizon & the rep confirmed that I was on unlimited data but could not tell me why I got the notice. He had to check with someone else & by the time he got back to me I saw there was the two different data & tethering usage breakdowns. When he came back on the phone he confirmed that it was the tethering option that the data usage email was sent for.

I send allot of 640x480 low res photos from my phone over the internet for work so the unlimited data plan is huge for me. I dont know what we are going to do as we add company phones.

The tethering for 4 days was work related to approve photos on the company server, print invoices & check/answer work emails, so it kind of surprised me as to how quick the data adds up & I had not done much.

Any one else get one of the Verizon data usage email yet ?
since I got one with so little data used (per there terms of service) I would think if they could tell you were using a third party app & sucking up 4-5 gb a month that you would get the same email pronto.

sranger

Reaction score
Verizon said my Droid is not capable of Wifi Tethering. Motorola said my Droid cannot Wifi tether.

Therefor Verizon has nothing to complain about to me unless they admit that they lied to me first.... ;)

sranger

Reaction score
What do I think? I think it's more unsubstantiated speculation. I traced the source of the original article (through 5! different links) back to a MobileDia and Forbes article which gives no specific statement from the company, but instead relies on the evidence of people using Jailbroken Tethering apps being redirected to a Verizon Sign-up page for their Hot Spot services. However, I just attempted to tether now with Wireless Tether and it worked fine.

What does this mean? It could mean a few different things:

1) This is only specific to certain Jailbroken apps (meaning iPhone users)
2) This could eventually catch up to all unauthorized tethering apps.
3) Verizon has already done all it can do to stop unauthorized tethering, so if you can still tether, there is nothing to worry about unless you are in the top 5-15% of data abusers.

There are other things it could mean, but I'm not wasting time speculating on it until more concrete evidence shows up.

Brandon

Yeah just a rumor until were hear it from vzw themselves, but if they do have a way to detect tethering I see no reason why they wouldn't implement something like this...we'll see...

It all depends on how they go about detecting it. Front-end (like the DX Gingerbread update) where it's built into the OS, or back-end by using some type of IP filtering? Do they simply target specific apps? We don't know any of that stuff yet so it's just a guessing game until then.

I'm not too worried because other than my trip to Vegas (where hotel wifi was $5/night), I never tether unless it's an emergency. But I still like the option to be there.

Brandon

It is not built into the OS, it is build into the device drivers that are part of the bootloader. That is why Verizon does not want to allow unlocked bootloaders....

9wire

Reaction score
I tethered to my ps3 to watch Netflix on the TV, since my HDMI doesn't work on cm7. I would have used it, or watched on the phone, data is data, so why would tethering be bad in that case? I would have used the same amount of data regardless.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with it no matter how much others will try and justify a problem with it. It's unlimited data processed through your phone that they originally sold you, and you are using just that.

donzz

Reaction score
If you're tethering over 5gb per month you deserve a kick in the Azz!
All you've done is ruined it for the rest of us.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I tether over 5GB a month (actually more like anywhere from 3GB-6GB) and I gladly pay all of the applicable fees. That's why I pay for it. The luxury to tether my tablet and/or laptop when ever I need it, where ever I am. I don't use it as my home internet connection, I just tend to use a lot of data.

Does that make me the "bad guy"?

bplewis24

Reaction score
The only reason I looked at the date usage is because I got an email from Verizon stating that I had used 900 mb in 4 days and that I was on track to go over 2 gb for the month.

I imagine they can tell your specific usage because you're using the Mobile Hotspot plan that is authorized through Verizon. I believe some of those hotspot plans are not unlimited, and so you can probably only tether up to 2GB.

Anyway, that's probably why they can tell the difference.

Brandon

Reaction score
Can anyone with actual technological knowledge of verizon/cell phones/cell technology tell us with 100% conviction if there is a way for verizon to know when you are accessing data via a 3rd party wireless tether app? I've read through all of these messages and I have not found one person who can explain in detail or from a technological stand point whether it is possible for verizon to be able to tell when someone is using a 3rd party wireless tether app. Now I can see how verizon would be able to monitor data if you are using their tether service because it is in fact their wireless tether "function" that you are using so I'm sure they have designed it so that they can monitor that stuff. But for 3rd party developers, I'm still not convinced that verizon has found a way to monitor that. Of course, as many have said, there are the obvious signs like HUGE data usage. But beyond that, I'm still waiting for someone to explain exactly how verizon can monitor 3rd party app usage before I begin to freak out.

Reaction score
Sure they can take the apps out of the market. It still won't stop devs from just hosting the .sdk file on some media hosting website. Verizon greed is just seeping from the pores.

Sent from my Charge using DroidForums

johnd09

Reaction score
Well if a website on the other end can tell what kind of device you are using, I'm sure sure Verizon can tell what kind of device is transmitting data over their network. In case you didn't know, a website can tell what OS and browser you are using along with a few other things. And I'm sure Verizon can catch you device reporting this to determine its not the phone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

captain howdy

Reaction score
Well if a website on the other end can tell what kind of device you are using, I'm sure sure Verizon can tell what kind of device is transmitting data over their network. In case you didn't know, a website can tell what OS and browser you are using along with a few other things. And I'm sure Verizon can catch you device reporting this to determine its not the phone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

I agree. Every computer has a mac address that can be saved in a log file and if your using Verizon's servers you can bet the can record and monitor all activity and types of devices being used thru your phone.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

91LudeSiT

Reaction score
I'd be impressed to see how they would detect an app such as wireless tether, especially if you are not using a vzw rom and rather something built from source such as cyanogenmod. The way wireless tether works is that it leaves the phones data connection open and just works as a NAT to transmit traffic from wifi connected devices. On Verizon's end that would be pretty hard to detect unless you have software built into the phone to do so, much like the latest round of updates for the DX and D2.