Verizon Plans to Stop Unsanctioned Tethering that Uses Unofficial Apps

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
So those of us that have unlimited data & do not tether but use allot of data are now going to be slowed down when we hit 2 GB.
I have several phones that we use for work that have unlimited data & the main use of the phones is to take photos in the field with the phone & the GPS stamp. Than an application that has been developed for this sends them automatically to our servers for review & billing. By doing it this way we can guarantee the photos were taken at the location.
We take hundreds of photos a day at the smallest resolution the phone will allow & routinely go over the 2GB of data.
Now the delivery of the photos to our servers are going to get slowed down when we hit 2GB.
Sounds to me like I have a lawsuit in the making.
I paid for unlimited data & they are throttling it which is going to effect my lively hood.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I paid for unlimited data & they are throttling it which is going to effect my lively hood.

They've never guaranteed speeds, and the right to throttle I believe is explicitly stated in the TOS. "Unlimited" data in the context of no caps still applies. "Speed" is technically changing the terms and context. So, no, you don't have a lawsuit in the making.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So those of us that have unlimited data & do not tether but use allot of data are now going to be slowed down when we hit 2 GB.
I have several phones that we use for work that have unlimited data & the main use of the phones is to take photos in the field with the phone & the GPS stamp. Than an application that has been developed for this sends them automatically to our servers for review & billing. By doing it this way we can guarantee the photos were taken at the location.
We take hundreds of photos a day at the smallest resolution the phone will allow & routinely go over the 2GB of data.
Now the delivery of the photos to our servers are going to get slowed down when we hit 2GB.

Not sure if you have grounds though. You pay for unlimited data, but you don't don't for unlimited data at a specific connection speed. I'm sure their TOS includes a clause that says they are only required to provide a connection "at a reasonable transfer rate as deemed by the company".