Verizon Plans to Stop Unsanctioned Tethering that Uses Unofficial Apps

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 9, 2011.

1. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They feel like they are getting what they pay for, more than getting a leg up I would say.

2. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Silver Member

Ratings:
    +280
    He has a point. Half the people do it just because they can. If they had to pay for it, they wouldn't because they really don't need it.

Which kinda takes away some of the bite about VZW whining that they are losing revenue from people tethering. I mean, for you to show a loss, you have to show that they are taking what they otherwise would be paying for.

But most of us would never pay for it in the first place because we really don't need it, so if there was no alternate way to tether, it isn't like VZW would suddenly see all that revenue as people signed up for it.

3. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They are doing it because they can. I am also willing to bet that when they do it they feel they are getting what they pay for more than having to pay an extra $20 to tether, and be hard capped.

4. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Silver Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I would support something in the middle... Like they include tethering in the tiered plans. Think about it... You pay $30 for 2 gigs... If you use that all up tethering because it chews it up faster, than you pay the overage fees. 2GB is 2GB, if that is the allotment that I am PAYING for, then I should be able to eat that data with a fork or a spoon, my choice. If my tethering causes me to use up the food faster, then I get dinged for the extra data that I eat.

For the unlimited plans, charge the $20 fee. The guy paying for the 2 gig plan and tethers, isn't going to abuse it because he is going to get raped on the overage charges...

But for many of us that just use the phone most of the time, are on Wifi 80% of the time anyway, it just doesn't make sense to shell out the extra cash for a feature that will rarely be used... I never come close to 2GB on my DX.

So it really isn't fair for people that might pay $30 for data, use a fraction of that data that they payed for, and then have to pay for that data a second time because a fraction of that was used on their tablet through the phone.

It's shady. Putting it in the contract that you sign may make it legal, but it is still shady.

5. chumunga

chumunga New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    how would they know that your using an illegal app to tether anyways, other then to monitor you up stream and downstream and check what sites your view, hell i run pandora and youtube to death on my phone probably more then people who tether to surf the web.

6. Brockjava

Brockjava New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    YES LOL of course haha

7. chumunga

chumunga New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well my question wasn't will they, its obvious they will, but the HOW... what is there approach to detecting the user?

8. Tuktanuk

Tuktanuk Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I totally disagree!!! We are already PAYING for UNLIMITED DATA!!!! Stop siding with the companies damn it! UNLIMITED MEANS UNLIMITED!! Why in the hell should they care HOW I use my UNLIMITED data!??? Weather I use it on my phone or through my phone should be no different! Any company charging a person to Tether is just raping the customer for some total B.S. "service" Don't let them get away with this!! Our rights as consumers and legal citizens just keeps downsizing and no one seems to give a crap...

9. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Don't you just love paying for data twice? This is just dumb. What's it difference between downloading 5 GB on my phone or 5 GB on my laptop, tether'd with my phone? Pretty lame that we have to pay to use a native feature on our phones, that uses something we already pay for...

10. davishusband

davishusband Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ha ha this was funny

Proud of my bloated D3, I don't miss unstable roms on my D1 at all!

11. Tuktanuk

Tuktanuk Member

Ratings:
    +5
    QFT!!

That's my point! There is no difference At all in the data you pulled down. What makes them think it's OK is; the general public rolling over and saying OK Verizon just be gentle this time. I for one will not go down without a fight. I'm going to continue to look to Tether data anyway I can.

12. davishusband

davishusband Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I use 20 gigabytes a month and I don't tether, but that's a great idea. So much data so little time...:D

Proud of my bloated D3, I don't miss unstable roms on my D1 at all!

Search tags for this page

razr hd google wallet