Verizon Plans to Stop Unsanctioned Tethering that Uses Unofficial Apps

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
Don't you just love paying for data twice? This is just dumb. What's it difference between downloading 5 GB on my phone or 5 GB on my laptop, tether'd with my phone? Pretty lame that we have to pay to use a native feature on our phones, that uses something we already pay for...

QFT!!

That's my point! There is no difference At all in the data you pulled down. What makes them think it's OK is; the general public rolling over and saying OK Verizon just be gentle this time. I for one will not go down without a fight. I'm going to continue to look to Tether data anyway I can.

davishusband

Reaction score
I use 20 gigabytes a month and I don't tether, but that's a great idea. So much data so little time...:D

Proud of my bloated D3, I don't miss unstable roms on my D1 at all!

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I use 20 gigabytes a month and I don't tether, but that's a great idea. So much data so little time...:D

Proud of my bloated D3, I don't miss unstable roms on my D1 at all!
o.o I've used 2GB so far, and this is probably the most I've ever used lol. I'm sure once I get a LTE phone my data usage will soar!

Insidious

Reaction score
someone make an app that masks the IP of whatever site youre visiting to show up as the facebook app... that way even if verizon was like "hmm this guy used 42 gigs of facebook.apk..lets give him a call" and you'd be like "get off my jock, i just like facebook a lot"

Lol yes! I agree the very few times I need tethering it comes in handy.

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
Why do u want to keep stealing? Don't you have some morals and want to party for what you consume and if you don't like the price just don't don't do it

That's just it... It's NOT stealing.. What the providers are doing is stealing from the customer. They are already PAYING for the Data..... The Provider is charging for that same data twice. You pay 30.00 a month for Unlimited data (Grandfather'd plan), Verizon/AT&t want to charge you another 20-30.00 for data Tethering.... So in the end; you are paying 60.00 a month for that Unlimited data. I wish people would stop defending the providers and start standing up with the rest of the consumer market for honest and fair billing practices.

sb1831

Reaction score
hmmm wonder if VZW would go so far as to stop sideloading apps like AT&T originally did to prevent non market apps being installed.

pistacio

Reaction score
hmmm wonder if VZW would go so far as to stop sideloading apps like AT&T originally did to prevent non market apps being installed.

.... then that would make us feel like iPhone owners, zinga!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums App

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I brought this up back when the debate for having to pay for tether was required to use a data connection on a lapdock on AT&T (and there was fear it would be the same on Verizon):

Using data on my phone is the same as using data on my phone while using HDMI out.
Using data on my phone with HDMI out is the same as using data on my phone with HDMI out and a bluetooth keyboard/mouse.
Using data on my phone with HDMI out and bluetooth keyboard/mouse is the same as using data on my phone through a lapdock.
Using data on my phone through my lapdock is the same as using data on my phone through my laptop.

I wouldn't pay an extra fee to use regular data on my phone or to be able to use my HDMI out function; therefore I don't feel the need to pay extra to display that data on my laptop screen either.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I brought this up back when the debate for having to pay for tether was required to use a data connection on a lapdock on AT&T (and there was fear it would be the same on Verizon):

Using data on my phone is the same as using data on my phone while using HDMI out.
Using data on my phone with HDMI out is the same as using data on my phone with HDMI out and a bluetooth keyboard/mouse.
Using data on my phone with HDMI out and bluetooth keyboard/mouse is the same as using data on my phone through a lapdock.
Using data on my phone through my lapdock is the same as using data on my phone through my laptop.

I wouldn't pay an extra fee to use regular data on my phone or to be able to use my HDMI out function; therefore I don't feel the need to pay extra to display that data on my laptop screen either.

while I don't disagree about being able to use data as seen fit but HDMI is just a mirror, it's not really using data to establish a secondary connection.

I don't think anyone would argue the fact we should be able to tether with our plans but the fact still is we can't, so when you go outside of that to tether (as crappy as this is) you are violating the contract you knowingly signed. That is where the disconnect is from both sides of the argument here. I don't think they should charge but they do so if I tether outside of their plan and get caught, it's completely on me.

chowyenfats

Reaction score
I think the people they are going after are the people that have replaced there home internet service with there phone and are using large amount of data.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I personally don't think they are going after anyone, I think it's all scare tactics but we will see. Doesn't mean people should feel free to tether without being caught because the possibility I suppose is always there but I have yet to see anything that makes me believe they are trying to act on this.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
while I don't disagree about being able to use data as seen fit but HDMI is just a mirror, it's not really using data to establish a secondary connection.

I don't think anyone would argue the fact we should be able to tether with our plans but the fact still is we can't, so when you go outside of that to tether (as crappy as this is) you are violating the contract you knowingly signed. That is where the disconnect is from both sides of the argument here. I don't think they should charge but they do so if I tether outside of their plan and get caught, it's completely on me.

I fully realize that I am stepping across that line and prepared to deal with the consequences, but like you, doubt there will be any for those of use who use it minimally.