Verizon Plans to Shutter Its App Store in January; They Have an App Store?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
vzwappstore620pxhedimg.jpeg

Just in case you didn't know this, Verizon apparently has its own app store, or at least it will have it for a couple more months. Apparently, the Verizon App Store hasn't done so well, and much to the chagrin of the two whole people who ever used it <sarcasm>, Verizon plans to shutter it in January 2013.

If you are like us, you probably went out of your way to avoid all the bloatware that Verizon puts on their devices and never really noticed they had an app store. Furthermore, it's not like it really ever got much press. In fact, we have to admit, it is possible we actually did a story on it sometime last year, but since then have completely forgotten about it. Obviously, we can't say we are sad to see it go, because we didn't even remember it was here...

Here's a quote with a few more details,

If you're a developer worried about what's gonna happen to your app, the company says you'll retain all your app metrics, reporting, and payments throughout the closure. We're also reassured that the developer community's support won't be going away in the future, post-closure, with Verizon's David Sandberg telling Engadget, "The developer community -- that website and the folks who work with developers -- they'll still be there. We'll still be providing them with support." The closure also won't affect any employee positions, Sandberg says.

Well, at least it's good to see that the impact the Verizon app store will have when it closes is just about as minimal as it had when it was open.

Thanks for the tip, NoStopN!

Source: Engadget

BaSHa

Reaction score
lol I'm personally surprised to see the word free in those pics. Kind of like VZ Navigation for $10 a month or Google Navigation for free.......... not a hard choice.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
No surprise. It lost the only thing it had going for it. Carrier billing. Now that you can charge app purchases to your vzw account from the play store there is zero value in keeping this available.

jfkansas

Reaction score
It didn't help that most of the apps on Verizon's store wanted a 4.99 or more monthly fee to use. F that, my monthly bills are high enough, I don't need their overpriced software that bad.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea I went to it once in a blue moon. I have ring back tones so I do use some Verizon services, apps. I will admit it came a long way from Get It Now.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Get It Now was Verizon's original app store, for non smartphones. I hated it. That was one of the biggest reasons I went to the Droid 1, so that I could install apps I bought outright, instead of paying monthly fee for some half @$$ed crack app. What kind of BS is that? So alas my freedom came from the good ole Android Market. Long live the liberator Google.:D

Lastdaze

Reaction score
they should issue a patch OTA to remove this from my phone