Verizon Plans to Discontinue 1-year Contracts Effective April 17

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Preach2k, Apr 7, 2011.

1. LT*

LT* Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately, each and every move they have made as of late disputes that claim. How does canceling one year contracts prevent network abuse?

2. TheOldFart

TheOldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I'm eligible for an early upgrade for $20 right now too, or I can wait until the end of July for my NE2. However, from what I have read, both of those are the last that I will even get under what Verizon has announced so far.

3. apl3

apl3 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    my take

I have been with Verizon since they were Bell Atlantic early 90's ? Anyway I have thought about hopping ship once or twice. Then I look at the crappy coverage that sprint has or I hear from other engineers who use AT&t and complain about dropped calls. I hope that Verizon lowers the cost of there plans. The thing is since this is a work phone I cannot have any problems. Thing is you cant beat Verizons coverage and service, yes I wish they would lower their prices.I have used my phone for work all over the US and you know what it always works.

4. Kryptyk

Kryptyk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it doesn't. It just makes it easier for them to sell more phones instead of helping a customer out by letting them upgrade year to year...lol.

5. scarrz

scarrz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Beardface, you must not have read that they have done away with the early upgrade for $20. This was mentioned in a previous post. Along with Verizon Ends New Every Two and Early Upgrades - SmartMoney.com

I do think this is a bad move on big reds part and Greed is the main factor. For $30 more than the 2 year new phone price I could purchase a 1 year contract and after one year I have the option of getting a new phone. Like others have mentioned phones are coming out so quickly now days I think its absurd to force the consumer into sticking with the same phone for 2 years. There is no benefit for the consumer, only Verizon.

6. marcfogel

marcfogel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now that Verizon has the iPhone it should be interesting to see if they continue to have the best Androids. Sprint is getting the Nexus S which is attractive to me. I don't want to be in a two year contract anymore. Way too long now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

7. cj1896

cj1896 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Goodbye Verizon, Hello Sprint

8. marcfogel

marcfogel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am seriously considering this too. Verizon keeps making the decision easier.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

9. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    First of all, they'll always have the early upgrades, because it extends your contract for another year and get an additional fee out of you. They lock you in, and they lock you into the plan that is available at the time. This isn't the NE2 that they are eliminating, this is just an early renewal. In fact, Verizon was the ones who informed me about my ability to renew. And then afterwards, they have gone through hoops to contact me to congratulate me for my TBolt purchase. I have come away from the process feeling VERY satisfied.

And to be honest, I've never had a 1 year contract. Have always had the 2 year contracts, going back about 10 years or so. And when I look back, I've actually had 4 phones over the past 3 years. (LG Chocolate, LG Navigator, the Droid when that broke, and now the TBolt)

And lastly, to everyone freaking out over this affecting their Bionic purchase. You are going to be disappointed. Yeah, it has 2 cores. Whoopee. It comes with bloatware, it comes with Blur, and its incredibly locked down, do good luck rooting it to remove the bloat, Blur, and overclocking it from whatever Moto underclocks it to. Remember, the Droid was originally underclocked to 500Ghz. Almost 1/3 of its true power. Whereas the TBolt doesn't have those issues as its already been rooted, overclocked, and ROMs are being worked on for it.

10. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Oh, well... whatever...

I have 4G unlimited locked in and will be paying $80 a month til the contract runs out. I have no need to upgrade early. And I stand by my beliefs that the TBolt may likely be one of the last true GREAT phones before you're stuck with what Verizon and the manufacturers give you. I'm happy with my purchase.

11. Stelv

Stelv Silver Member

Ratings:
    +8
    So one question. Does every major cellphone provider now require 2 year contracts to get a phone for less than $300? I think Sprint, TMobile and AT&T all require 2 year contracts right?

All I gotta say is luckily there is ebay, swappa and best buys buy back program.

12. apl3

apl3 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Where do you live for sprint to be an alternative ?Most of Connecticut for their network is roaming.

Search tags for this page
are verizon phone cards being discountinued
outhtrigh
verizon discontinuing 2 yr plans
verizon discontinuing prepaid cards
verizon new plan april 17

verizon phone cards discontinued

verizon prepaid phone cards discontinued

verizon wireless printable contract