Verizon Plans to Discontinue 1-year Contracts Effective April 17

tmal2

Reaction score
Well, after 41 minutes on the phone I was able to get a 1 year contract and my new Thunderbolt is on the way.
I really hope I like this phone.

Good luck to anyone else trying to get a one year contract with an online or telesales purchase.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!! I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH A VERIZON REP AND, AFTER CHECKING WITH HER MANAGER, ASSURED ME THAT ONE YEAR CONTRACTS WILL MOST DEFINITELY REMAIN AVAILABLE AND WILL NOT STOP ON APRIL 17th. She even notated on my account that she told me this under the consent of the manager!!!! She says that its all a mix up with annual upgrade. No rush now, so now i guess ill be waiting on the Bionic after all.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

vzdroid13, I just hung up with customer service and was told that the one year contracts will go away on April 17th for customers at the retail stores and after midnight tonight one year contracts will no longer be available for purchases made through Verizonwireless.com.

I guess I'll be ordering a Thunderbolt tonight before midnight.
Well I dont know what to say. I thought they would be going away too but she was absolutely sure the one-years would NOT be going away. She notated what she told me on my account, so whatever happens, I can honestly say that I was assured by a Verizon Rep that I would be able to purchase a Droid Bionic or any other phone on a one year contract whenever they are available if I so choose, and I plan to do so.

Beka27

Reaction score
It might be worth it to take a drive to your local store (or call and speak with a different supervisor) and see if that note IS on your account and if that person (in-store or on phone) would have the authority to honor that after April 17th. I have found that some CSRs will do/say ANYTHING to make a person happy, but the follow-up is not always there.

cj1896

Reaction score
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!! I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH A VERIZON REP AND, AFTER CHECKING WITH HER MANAGER, ASSURED ME THAT ONE YEAR CONTRACTS WILL MOST DEFINITELY REMAIN AVAILABLE AND WILL NOT STOP ON APRIL 17th. She even notated on my account that she told me this under the consent of the manager!!!! She says that its all a mix up with annual upgrade. No rush now, so now i guess ill be waiting on the Bionic after all.

vzdroid13, I just hung up with customer service and was told that the one year contracts will go away on April 17th for customers at the retail stores and after midnight tonight one year contracts will no longer be available for purchases made through Verizonwireless.com.

I guess I'll be ordering a Thunderbolt tonight before midnight.
Well I dont know what to say. I thought they would be going away too but she was absolutely sure the one-years would NOT be going away. She notated what she told me on my account, so whatever happens, I can honestly say that I was assured by a Verizon Rep that I would be able to purchase a Droid Bionic or any other phone on a one year contract whenever they are available if I so choose, and I plan to do so.

Verizon is trying to trick you into a 2 year deal, or the rep is a moron. Enough Said

creaky

Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if I signed a 1-yr contract, got a phone, and returned it, reverting back to my old phone until, say the Bionic drops. Could I lock in the 1-yr contract that way without being "stuck" with the TB?

tmal2

Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if I signed a 1-yr contract, got a phone, and returned it, reverting back to my old phone until, say the Bionic drops. Could I lock in the 1-yr contract that way without being "stuck" with the TB?

I could be wrong but I don't think so. When you agree to the new contract it now becomes a 4G contract. If you return a 4G device I would think you have to keep a 4G device on that contract to keep it valid.

I'm sure Verizon has thought of every loophole possible and planned for it.

vzdroid13

Reaction score

Can't you can sign a contract without even using the promotional phone prices? if you can, just do that and get the Bionic when it comes

creaky

Reaction score

Can't you can sign a contract without even using the promotional phone prices? if you can, just do that and get the Bionic when it comes

Good point! I will look into that.... Anybody else tried this?

tmal2

Reaction score

You probably can but when the Bionic finally does come out you'll have to get into a new 2 year contract to get it at a discounted price.

creaky

Reaction score
Just received this email from VZW:

"I am unable to provide information regarding when the Droid Bionic's release date as this may raise expectations that may not be met. When the Droid Bionic wireless phone is available, the discounted price is contingent upon you accepting a new two year Customer Agreement. I invite you to view our current phone selection as a possible alternative."

This seems to suggest to me that the only way you'll get a discount is by signing a 2-yr contract. Otherwise, stay month-to-month and pay full price. Darn....

beargold23

Reaction score
This really sucks. I returned the thunderbolt because it was just aright, and i had major GPS issues, not to mention the 4.3" screen took some getting use 2. Now it looks like i will have to just buy it again to get my last 1 yr contract. I think what i may do is buy and sell it once something comes out that i really want.

helix139

Reaction score
If they hadn't discontinued annual upgrades I wouldn't care, but 2 years is too long to keep a phone and retail prices are ridiculous. My plan was to buy the Bionic on a 1-year deal, but I guess that's out. My 2-year contact isn't up until Sept, otherwise I'd go ahead and get the Thunderbolt now on a 1-year and upgrade to something else later. As it is, I'll probably just end up going month-to-month and getting my phones on ebay. It sucks that no other carrier has a competitive network to allow me to vote with my wallet. That is literally the only thing Verizon has going for them, as other carriers are both cheaper and have better hardware available. At this point, I'm really tempted to give Sprint and the Evo 3D a try when it is available.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
This sucks to hear. Looks like I'll be going month to month.

Inverse

Reaction score
With all the changes Verizon has dropped in the last few months, I seriously doubt I will be sticking with them, regardless of their network speeds or quality. I'll give my money to another company~ most likely Sprint. With enough people doing the same, competitors will be able to better support their markets anyway. I really don't care what their service quality is, when their business model laughs at my face.