Verizon OTA

tdetroit

Reaction score
Question...will the Verizon Update UN-root my TB, or will it even work if the phone is rooted...OR..is it even needed since I did the manual RUU Update when it came out ten days ago. Thanks.....

Immolate

Reaction score
I'm not authoritative, but by version number the RUU should already be on your phone from the manual 1.13.605.7. I do not believe you'll get the OTA with root. These are things I've heard smarter people than I say.

Hateslinger

Reaction score
The devs haven't had a chance to examine the latest ruu from Verizon. I along with many others are on the latest ruu leak. However, once the devs examine the new ruu, we'll know whether or not changes have been made and what radio combo they're using if any.

If you're rooted then hbooting any signed ruu will unroot device.

Just wait for the devs to chop it up if in fact it's worth chopping.

Sent from Verizon in Phoenix, AZ, running a rooted Thunderbolt, with Lightning Rom v3.3.1 / Adrynalyne 4.4.3

efeyeesh

Reaction score
I just ordered my Thunderbolt and plan to root after the possible OTA in the next couple of weeks. Would it be better to root beforehand just in case the root methods not longer work after the OTA or am I misunderstanding what an OTA actually does?

Immolate

Reaction score
The root already has the OTA built in. The phone won't update if you have root, so no real reason to wait. If that changes and they slip something into the OTA that we weren't aware of, it won't be long before that's handled and available to us as well (think hours, not days).

efeyeesh

Reaction score
The root already has the OTA built in. The phone won't update if you have root, so no real reason to wait. If that changes and they slip something into the OTA that we weren't aware of, it won't be long before that's handled and available to us as well (think hours, not days).

Thanks. Just out of curiosity, what method do you recommend I use to root? I have never used adb.