Verizon OTA on rooted droid

fishacura

Reaction score
Just got the large OTA S4 update from VZ. My phone is rooted. It's installing now. What surprised me is that when I clicked OK to install, it brought me into TWRP...is this normal?

reebz

Reaction score
I think I've read that the OTA update will fail to install if there's a custom recovery on your phone. What happened with the update?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah pretty sure you have to go back to stock recovery to do the OTA. You can update while only rooted and lose root, but don't think it will flash without stock recovery. Let us know if it works though.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Yeah pretty sure you have to go back to stock recovery to do the OTA. You can update while only rooted and lose root, but don't think it will flash without stock recovery. Let us know if it works though.
What I'll do tonight is:1. Flash stock recovery2. Manually get the OTA (if it doesn't come OTA again). I think there's a procedure for doing it using a PC3. Re-root (or at least attempt to re-root). Not sure about #3. I was worried about rooting too soon anyway so I may not. Will let you know how it goes.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
What I'll do tonight is:1. Flash stock recovery2. Manually get the OTA (if it doesn't come OTA again). I think there's a procedure for doing it using a PC3. Re-root (or at least attempt to re-root). Not sure about #3. I was worried about rooting too soon anyway so I may not. Will let you know how it goes.

Well currently there is no way to root the new OTA, or unlock the bootloader. So if root is a priority I would avoid the OTA for now if it is not too late.

zero7404

Reaction score
im rooted with twrp installed ... so if i hit accept will wont flash because of twrp ... is there another way to get rid of the update (i renamed 2 files in the system/app folder) ... it been nagging me for days

Sent from my SCH-I545

gimpy1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
Do you wish to get rid of the update itself or the notification of the update? To get rid of the notification, you can "freeze" it in titanium backup. Do you have it (titanium backup) installed. I think you need the "pro" version (paid version). I'm not sure of the app you freeze. I think it is "SDP" or "SMP" or similar.

zero7404

Reaction score
i have titanium pro ... so which one of the 2 do i need to freeze ?

Sent from my SCH-I545

zero7404

Reaction score
done ... thanks.

so the prompt shouldnt come back until i unfreeze. it gets hungup when i go touch Software Update in About .... thats fine w me. does that module do anything else on the fone other than administer updates ?

Sent from my SCH-I545

zero7404

Reaction score
there's a root method out for the new verizon update .... but i'm not able to install the update because i have twrp. is there a way to set the phone to reboot into stock recovery or to do it in twrp ?