Verizon OTA Notification Question...

CashClay

Reaction score
First and foremost... redirect my post if my question would fall into an existing thread. I looked but couldn't find the answer to my question.

I'm running Liberty 2.0.1 Froyo and have my Droid2 running so nicely, that the only reason I would willingly want to SBF back to stock is to move up to Offical VZW GB, then re-root, boot strap and move onto Liberty GB. My question then becomes, how can I know when my OTA is available to me, without running Stock? Can I check without SBFing? Someone wiser than I will know for sure, as I suspect I'm screwed until the Droid 2 OTA's are hitting the masses, at which point I might be willing to revert back, just to see... but am I off base on that thinking? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

FillTheVoid

Reaction score
^^That was posted in march. If I'm not mistaken D2 will be getting GB by Q3. The question for me is will TBH pre-root and deodex it causdeas far as I know there is no other way yet to gain root with the OTA GB. Patiently waiting and very jealous of DX'ers and their GB.

Liberated Droid 2 Epic Blue

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Why would VZW restrict the Gingerbread OTA to only certain phones? It makes no sense to me at all.

Microsoft doesn't restrict updates to only certain models and year of different models. So why would VZW do that?

These people need to change their damn attitudes towards us users. We buy into their products. We buy into their unnecessary accessories for our phones. We pay a couple hundred to a few hundred dollars to buy a phone from them. We spend thousands upon thousands of dollars each year for their plans and services. We give and give and we only receive barely a little to nothing back for being such a money-throwing, loyal customer.

I still have $404.84 unaccounted for that VZW blatantly tells me they never received, yet it's posted on my statements that they took the money. Plus $195.04. That's a few cents shy of $600 unaccounted for the past 3 months yet they nag me to pay up.

I sure am getting sick of this B.S. and getting shafted left to right. The least someone could do is offer a little goody to us D2 users so we can join the big, growing crowd of new GB users.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know, it does suck. Thank god though we have the gb rooted leak (monster update file) . At least we can get on liberty gb (0.7 is out for d2 now. Dl as we speak)

Droid 2 liberated gingerbread v0.5

BRAINFIRE

Reaction score
FillTheVoid: "D2 will be getting GB by Q3."

This is based on unverified information that was pulled a little after it was posted.
Hope it's correct though.
:)

TheSwaggeR: Why would VZW restrict the Gingerbread OTA to only certain phones?

A T-Mobile insider said this: Samsung has NOT allowed us to push the update OTA for 2.2 because they feel it will decrease the value of the upcoming Vibrant4G +.

Also unconfirmed. We may never know what goes on behind the scene in these deals between carrier/ Manufacturer.

OP
CashClay

CashClay

Reaction score
I have kind of taken a step back and thought about my temptation to jump into GB early, and I reallized that it wouldn't improve how happy I am with my device "all that much" and could possible even make using my Droid a bit tedious. I mean, I see everyone testing these nightlies and reporting back bugs as they go and while I do understand the value of such a role... I don't know if I have the time to deal with my phone not being fully functional like that. I mean, not to sound ungreatful to the dev teams that provide truly inspired, fantastic work, but I need my phone to be as stable as possible. Now, I have been involved in many beta testing scenarios when I had my Eris and have given plenty of feedback in the past and contributed as much as possible, but I just feel like this time around... time may actually be on my side. If I just wait till the official ota, reroot and catch up to the dev community after the fact... most of those bugs will have already been addressed by those with the time to give quality feedback, thereby creating ROMs much more stable and worth using. Does that make sense?

Sent from my Liberated CashDroid2

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
To be honest the bugs on liberty gb are minimal. My phone functions great. Its faster, smoother and looks great. The bugs i experience are minimal and i report them for the sake of the devs, to fine tune the rom. It really is quite stable and i didn't think gb would bring that much difference but it does. I would totally go for it. I'm so glad I did

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

BRAINFIRE

Reaction score
CashClay: Agree totally. Like you, I've spent countless hours testing and
tweaking every possible variable. I now need to balance that
with work and family.
And it seems like these iterations of Android are evolutionary,
not revolutionary. So it doesn't hurt to step off the bleeding edge.

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
The bugs issue are definitely minimal. It is stable enough, off of the official GB OTA from the DX, to function as it should. Everything you asked for, balancing between work, friends, and family is nothing to worry about. The Customizer allows you to change up a lot of stuff between Blur and AOSP. So, if one thing isn't working right just yet then switch to Blur or AOSP, whichever you chose first. You'll be pleased at the end result, trust me.

OP
CashClay

CashClay

Reaction score
Thoughts...

Ya know, honestly... I'm more tempted to give the Gingerbread install a try in order to get an SBF under my belt and get used to the RSD Lite process, just in case. If I am planning on playing around with my phones from here on out, and I have a feeling I will be, I might as well have gained the knowledge needed to recover from any mistakes/issues I may encounter. I honestly wish there was a step by step account for this so that I could learn how to flash these ROMs and SBF without being all paranoid about it.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Once you do your 1st sbf, it will give you a new found confidence to truly own your phone and make it how you want. GB is worth it. Trust me

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.7

ultrastigi

Reaction score
I used youtube for my sbf. There is a lot on there. Step by step. After that it becomes easier and easier to do it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
CashClay

CashClay

Reaction score
Resources...?

So, I tried hooking up RSD Lite last night, but I think it was only version 4.7, I'm going to install the newest? 4.9 tonight and see if it will recognize my device. Been having to get past those simple issues first, then maybe I will try the SBF... my question for you guys is this:

What is the best, all around tutorial/walkthrough/resource for taking this plunge? I have gotten as far as looking at that page on Droid Life with the "Monster.zip" file, but even those instructions seem confusing to me. Like where it states:

*Note* - If you didn’t jump the gun and flash the non-rooted version and are still running something like say, Liberty ROM, all you have to do is flash the .zip file below just as you would any other ROM.

*Note Again* – If you have not already upgraded to Gingerbread, simply download the .zip file, flash it like you normally would a ROM, and ignore this entire process.

I mean, flashing this "Monster.zip" file would be easy enough, if that were all it took... which those sentences alude to, IMO. But I have no resources for confirming or denying that 100%. Anyone have any other links to better source of info or further advice?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
The directions are correct. I'm on a d2 and was on liberty 2.0.1. Just go into cw do a wipe, mount system and mount data (i do this just to be safe, but i dont think it's necessary), then install the monster leak. Simple and awesome
If on liberty 2.0.1, you don't have to sbf to get on the leak. Just do the wipe and install. Unless you want to sbf.
I'll post the tbh triple threat link
Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.7