Verizon Officially Announces Their Edge Upgrade Program With Few Details

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
If you've got unlimited data I'd bet the farm they'll bend over backwards to get you onto the new plan starting yesterday.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Yep this, I am eligible for an upgrade as of this month. VZW reps have been calling my house twice a day for the last week trying to sell me on a upgrade. I keep telling them no thank you but I plan on buying one off contract so I can keep my unlimited data.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I keep telling them no thank you but I plan on buying one off contract so I can keep my unlimited data.

Yeah, I've finally found a need for my unlimited data. I travel quite a bit, and even aside from the airplane coverage can be spotty. I've found a few news apps that download content for offline viewing automatically every 12-24 hours and, needless to say, by itself that can burn thru 1 gig a week. I don't need to do it, but why not? Now I always have something to read on the plane.

Sure, I could do that on wifi, from the hotel or other free hotspots...but isn't that sort of the point of having my OWN mobile data?

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Yep this, I am eligible for an upgrade as of this month. VZW reps have been calling my house twice a day for the last week trying to sell me on a upgrade. I keep telling them no thank you but I plan on buying one off contract so I can keep my unlimited data.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

I get bombarded with emails all day, letters too. My "early" upgrade was on the 11th.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Gosh darn it I was reporting spam, poo.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
So I called Verizon about this and got some info

So if your currently on a plan. You cannot go to the edge plan unless you upgrade eligible(24 months).
You have to sign a new contract in order to participate in the edge program. You loose your unlimited if you have it.
You have to turn in your phone every time you upgrade(unless its paid for).

I can confirm all of this after an online chat session with a VZW associate. In addition, I asked about the $30 "upgrade fee", and was told that it does not apply when upgrading with the Edge program since you're not getting the subsidized price.