Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
This is true. If you go in every 12 months you will be able to "trade up" your device. After 12 months you've paid your 50%

Proudly from Beer Tent Capital of the World

skennelly

Reaction score
Well all I know is if they expect the phone back after I pay I won't be taking part in this every 6 months..... I might do it once.. It all depends on the details of re-signing my contract.

You pay off 50% of the phone, then decide it's time to upgrade. You take the phone to Verizon and trade that in. They, in turn, sell it as refurbished and recoup the other 50% and you begin paying off your new phone.

Tell me why you think you can keep a phone that never fully purchased?

equake

Reaction score
They never mention anything about a "trade" only upgrade so unless they change the definition of upgrade you keep the old phone

My 2 cents

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
People do it every day. It's also known as an auto lease. Then there's the rent to own furniture/computer/tv store. Those same mindset people will probably fall all over themselves taking advantage of the awesome deal Verizon and company now offer.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post
Exactly, I think the VZW Edge is actually an EXCELLENT program for those that want to take advantage of 6 month upgrades. They got it right on this one. Bravo Verizon! (never thought I'd say that one )

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
If you know you're not going to leave Verizon and you know you can't go more than 6-12 months without changing devices, and you have a device to sell outright up front to cover the costs, it's really not a bad deal. You could, theoretically, go an entire year with a few of the latest/greatest devices and pay nothing out of pocket if you play your cards right.

The way I see it, this is a way for the phone-swappers to help spread and mitigate the cost of their "hobby", and really doesn't change much for them besides that. For those that are used to being stuck with a phone for 2 years, this will be something that will tempt them to the swapper's way of life, which will obviously increase revenue for Verizon...

I like this idea. We basically pay for the phone at "upgrade" pricing but no contract. I'm sure it'll be easy to sell the phone for about $300ish to pay off the remaining balance of the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like this idea. We basically pay for the phone at "upgrade" pricing but no contract. I'm sure it'll be easy to sell the phone for about $300ish to pay off the remaining balance of the phone.

Well in my scenario I was thinking sell the phone you've got now, or get one on a traditional upgrade and sell it, then use the $$ from that to pay for the new Edge plan. Once you're on the Edge plan, you have to turn your current phone in to get the new one. Maybe that's what you meant, but I just wanted to clarify.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I'm keeping my galaxy nexus as a backup just in case. And I feel like which ever device I do choose next will be locked down :/ so to be able to tinker with the nexus on the side is cool.

bigdad63

Reaction score
Doesn't make a squat bit of difference to me, I'm holding on to my unlimited data until they pry it from me. At which point, I will take my 4 lines and go to one of the other companies that are rapidly catching up with Verizon in terms of 4G network coverage.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Well in my scenario I was thinking sell the phone you've got now, or get one on a traditional upgrade and sell it, then use the $$ from that to pay for the new Edge plan. Once you're on the Edge plan, you have to turn your current phone in to get the new one. Maybe that's what you meant, but I just wanted to clarify.

Let's try this again..... Has anyone seen in print you have to give your other device back? I have been searching and see nothing from vzw saying that.....

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I think this could be a good option, but just like the Share Everything plan, it's not meant for everyone.
Side note: did I miss the place where they said they would take away unlimited data with this option? You're not signing a service contract, which is when they would take it away.

stonecaster

Reaction score
You pay off 50% of the phone, then decide it's time to upgrade. You take the phone to Verizon and trade that in. They, in turn, sell it as refurbished and recoup the other 50% and you begin paying off your new phone.

Tell me why you think you can keep a phone that never fully purchased?

I gurantee you they will recoup more than just the other 50%

Rhino94

Reaction score
Let's try this again..... Has anyone seen in print you have to give your other device back? I have been searching and see nothing from vzw saying that.....

I was wondering where the hell people on this forum came up the with that. I was reading and reading and then just a random idea popped into the conversation and everyone got scared over something that isn't even in writing from Verizon. Everyone who has been with Verizon for more than 3 years or so should know that if it isn't in writing from Verizon that you don't know when or if it will happen.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I think this could be a good option, but just like the Share Everything plan, it's not meant for everyone.
Side note: did I miss the place where they said they would take away unlimited data with this option? You're not signing a service contract, which is when they would take it away.

I think people are making that assumption since the article says that it's available for those on a share everything plan starting Aug 25th

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Think about it. Right now if you want to go month to month you have to pay full price for a phone (about $600). With the new plan, you are month to month, but buy the phone over 24 months instead of paying up front. Do you really think that Verizon is going to allow you to pay about $300 less (half of $600 phone) than what you pay now if you want no contract? How likely is it that Verizon is going to be so generous that they are willing to lose $300 per year for each person who wants to sign up for this plan? I guess we'll have to wait and see, but doesn't AT&T require you to return the phone?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Think about it. Right now if you want to go month to month you have to pay full price for a phone (about $600). With the new plan, you are month to month, but buy the phone over 24 months instead of paying up front. Do you really think that Verizon is going to allow you to pay about $300 less (half of $600 phone) than what you pay now if you want no contract? How likely is it that Verizon is going to be so generous that they are willing to lose $300 per year for each person who wants to sign up for this plan? I guess we'll have to wait and see, but doesn't AT&T require you to return the phone?

See this is something else that needs to be clarified... It says month to month but is going to be available to share everything members.... So if it's month to month then what happens to our existing contracts?

The way I read it is the phone payment is a month to month deal but you will still have to sign a 2 year service contract.....