Verizon Officially Announces the Nokia Lumia 928

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by cereal killer, May 10, 2013.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Well folks this is where I jump off into WP8 land. The Lumia is a pretty hot phone (in my opinion) and I'm looking to expand my horizons :big smile: My Nexus Tablet will keep my love of Android afloat but it's time to take on another OS. For those of you who want to get rid of me here, I'm not going anywhere :)

Anyway, here's the announcement for those that care (which is probably not anyone hahaha) $100 on contract after $50.00 mail in rebate is a steal plus they are giving a $25 credit for the Windows Store.

Introducing the Nokia Lumia 928 ? a new expression of the world?s most innovative smartphone » Nokia ? Press
  2. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Seems pretty cool, especially for a new os.. Let us know how you like it..
  3. cereal killer

Here are a couple of great videos that showcase this handset really well....

4. cereal killer

5. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

Oh man...and I thought I had cemented my choice in the s4 for my upgrade
  6. cereal killer

Me 2 :) I was sure I was going to wait, but I can't resist anymore. It's been gnawing at me for some time. Sometimes you just have to go for it :big smile: Tapatalk is coming to WP so I'm all set. That app is a must have for me
  7. dezymond

I didn't think it was launching so soon too, May 16th (for those who want cliffs, lol) if I read that article correctly.

I am definitely going to check it out, but to jump off the Android ship would be something to consider for me.
  8. dezymond

9. cereal killer

I hear you man. It's a big decision when one has essentially been there every step of the way as an OS grew from a toddler into a full fledged adult.
  10. dezymond

Seems like too good of a phone to pass up on. Maybe I'll just eat the restocking fee and demo it for a few days. Think that's the only reasonable way to find out if it's worth switching to or not.
  11. indee2025

indee2025 Member

I know this is an old post but like you I had tried other OS devices, flipping from Android to iOS and back and wanted to try something new without falling off a cliff (looking at you black berry OS) so I really like the idea of the WP tiles that WP8 has going on and after looking at the lumia icon, lumia 928 I really like the HTC 8X...I couldn't even believe the modern looking Verizon corporate store even had an 8X on display but they did and I'm thinking of going for it. (Off contract of course)

I mostly watch videos/shows that I have downloaded via windows 7 PC and typically transfer them to my phone for viewing on the go. Is it fairly easy to transfer movies/shows to WP8? Is there a VLC player app or something comparable?

Any real complaints about the WP8 beyond a poor app market environment? I noticed the app store for WP8 is not monitored, several apps that have been posted that appear to be legitimate apps that are not actually the correct app such as 'Simpsons Tapped Out' there are six versions in the WP8 store none of which are legitimate.
  12. cereal killer

Its really easy to transfer movies/show from your PC to the handset. Connect via USB and away you go.

I do not know about a VLC player to be perfectly honest.

Any real complaints about WP8? Yes, lack of a notification light is my major complaint. I'm now on the Lumia Icon and I'd highly suggest you'd pick one up for a couple reasons. Owning a Lumia device is sort of like like owning a Nexus device in that Nokia pumps out updates to their native apps to the handset regularly. Lumia Cyan (exclusive to Lumias) is another firmware update that is going to hit Lumias soon as well. Cyan will enable unique Lumia features like the PureView camera, Living Images and an updated Creative Studio editing app. It will also optimize the battery, performance, Bluetooth 4.0 LE, and a revised Camera app and general telephony functions.

You're not going to find this support on the 8X BUT I'd just thought I'd throw it out there in case you are unaware. Lumia support is phenomenal and you won't find that on the 8X.

Poor ecosystem is subjective. I'm not an app whore and the ones I use and need are already present in the WP store. So apps aren't an issue at all. I will say the WP apps look and run 100x better on WP8 than Android. There is no comparison.

You're getting into WP at a good time because WP 8.1 w/ Cortana is right around the corner, Update 1 is right around the corner and Update 2 is scheduled for November. There's a lot of exciting things going on with WP and I think you will be VERY pleased once you get settled in and set up. It's a phenomenal OS.
  13. dezymond

I've seen a few 928s go for about $150 around my area...so very tempted to pick one up.
    indee2025 likes this.
  14. indee2025

indee2025 Member

Not an app whore here either, I keep on the device what I use nearly daily and nothing else, use my device mostly for loading up shows/movies for when I'm on the go, texting, directions/maps, random google (i guess now bing) searches for answers to things I need to know etc.

My biggest complaint about Android was how some apps that are cross platform just function poorly on my droid. App looks good on iOS but looks or works terrible on android OS. It's good to know the cross platform apps I use a lot such as ebay are good to go on WP8.

That's a lot of good info, especially regarding the Lumia line...I was not aware...I could go for a 928 or the icon but I'm really liking the look and feel of the 8X. I'll have to give that some thought as support is important.

I did hear about 8.1 and cortana so that will be nice. IT seems as if WP has come a long way so I think it's time to feel that OS out for a bit. Thanks again for the info.
    If anyone has anything else to add, pros or cons, let me know.
  15. cereal killer

HERE Maps, HERE Drive + (Navigation apps) and Local Scout (uses camera to look around whats near you--malls, restaurants etc) on WP8 are AWESOME.

I like the speed alerts when using HERE Drive+. You can turn them off or customize them to alert you when you're going over the speed limit or 5, 10 etc miles over it. I also like the ability to download State specific maps and not need to turn on GPS to get directions to places. I like the navigation features with these apps (HERE). You can do some very cool things with them.

You won't get turn-by-turn directions mind you but you'll get the route.
  16. indee2025

indee2025 Member

I heard you can download the maps for offline usage so that's a plus provided it's a true statement.
Search tags for this page
another os on nokia lumia
cerealkiller
cortana lumia 928
good apps nokia lumia 928
how to change my nokia 928 windows verizon phone into prepaid

when will lumia cyan be released for lumia 928

will 928 get cortana