Verizon Offers Your Choice Of Gear S2 or Gear VR With Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge Pre-Order

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
2016-02-241-168x300.jpg

Verizon appears to be going all in on the Galaxy S7 launch. Samsung had already announced that they would offer free Gear VR headsets for those pre-ordering either of the new Galaxy phones. Now Verizon is 1 upping Samsung. They will give you the choice between a Gear VR and a Gear S2 smart watch. The Gear S2 is worth $300 and is an awesome bonus if you chose this.

It appears from the pre-order site that these two options are only available to those of you either choosing a payment plan or upgrading. This offer does not seem to be valid for anyone paying full retail who is trying to keep unlimited. When I called to place my pre-order I was not offered either option. This may be an online only deal.

Keep in mind that if you are going to pre-order via Verizon's pre-order website remember that you get a free Gear VR through Samsung's promo site. If I had the choice I would claim the Gear S2 from Verizon, and later claim the Gear VR from Samsung.

via Verizon

Thanks @DJSpikezz

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Wow, that will be huge for a lot of people here.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
You do have to be out of contract and paying that additional $20/month for unlimited that took effect in Nov, but it's totally possible. I did an upgrade for someone a few weeks ago and it worked perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

angelman

Reaction score
I did the pre order yesterday in store and they told me it wasn't a free gear watch but $100 off a watch... maybe it's different online (which would be a bummer since I did mine in store). I did get $100 UPGRADE discount (for paying monthly) and I should get $100 off for tradein and then the $100 gear VR. All in all looking to be a pretty good deal for pre orders. I am happy to pay monthly for $100 discount (even if I have to stick around for 2 years). Kind of like a negative interest rate on a financing deal really!

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I hope they offer up some good stuff like this on the Note 6.

How does pre order work on the Edge payment? What do they charge you up front? Taxes and first month like normal?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I hope they offer up some good stuff like this on the Note 6.

How does pre order work on the Edge payment? What do they charge you up front? Taxes and first month like normal?

I know in-store, it is just local sales tax on full retail and then your device payments are on the bill, no first month payment upfront. I would hope online purchases follow the same.

Reactions: cr6

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
pretty good deal....

get the gear s2 even if you don't want it... then sell it for 350 (50 off retail) and then buy a gear VR for 99 and you're officially winning.

I've got 4 lines all out of contract 2 unlimited and 2 not... eligible for upgrades.... this is very tempting, love my Moto X pure... wouldn't mind this deal at all though.

Reactions: cr6

bastosero

Reaction score
Can anyone else confirm that has done this online more recently with the Gear VR or Gear S2 promo without losing their unlimited data? I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly online and don't want to lose my UDP.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
From what I've read, yes, you can keep your UD. Simply choose "keep existing plan". What I would do is log onto the VZW site and do a "chat" with a Verizon rep to confirm. Then save the chat log. (It will give you the option to save the chat log once you're done) This way you'll have confirmation in writing, if by chance your plan changes a month or two down the road.

S5 tap'n

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Can anyone else confirm that has done this online more recently with the Gear VR or Gear S2 promo without losing their unlimited data? I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly online and don't want to lose my UDP.
So long as your bill is showing $49.99 for unlimited data, and you are doing device payments, you will keep your unlimited

bastosero

Reaction score
Well, I've pre-ordered my S7 Edge, received it a couple of days ago, and filed my claim to receive either the Gear VR or Gear 2 watch (I chose the Gear 2). I put all the necessary info they needed and submitted a .JPG file of my receipt that basically shows all the info of the transaction. But today, I get an email from Samsung telling me that I'm missing something.

The message says:

"Your submission isn’t quite complete, but you’re almost there!
Here’s what’s missing:
Your receipt doesn’t show a qualifying device purchase.

Your information has already been saved. Please finalize your Offer claim at the below link.

Resubmissions must be received by
March 31, 2016 11:59 EST PM to be considered valid. "

What do they mean in showing a qualifying device purchase exactly?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Well, I've pre-ordered my S7 Edge, received it a couple of days ago, and filed my claim to receive either the Gear VR or Gear 2 watch (I chose the Gear 2). I put all the necessary info they needed and submitted a .JPG file of my receipt that basically shows all the info of the transaction. But today, I get an email from Samsung telling me that I'm missing something.

The message says:

"Your submission isn’t quite complete, but you’re almost there!
Here’s what’s missing:
Your receipt doesn’t show a qualifying device purchase.

Your information has already been saved. Please finalize your Offer claim at the below link.

Resubmissions must be received by
March 31, 2016 11:59 EST PM to be considered valid. "

What do they mean in showing a qualifying device purchase exactly?
Could it be because the phone has only been ordered and not actually activated yet?

bastosero

Reaction score
Could it be because the phone has only been ordered and not actually activated yet?

I activated my S7 Edge once I received it and before I filed my claim. So I can't see that being the problem.