Verizon Note 8 just received Android 9!

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Today my phone informed me that it was waiting to install the "latest" android version 9. Just installed it and wondered if anyone had any issues or other interesting things I should know. So far the phone received a call fine but I have little other experience yet. Of course all the icons look different so that will take some getting used to.

OP
zinethar

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
OK I now have my first frustration with this "upgrade". When working at my desk I leave my phone on its wireless charger and use it as my desk clock. It used to display the time on the screen always when the screen was off (sleeping?). It now only shows when I touch it making it useless. Anyone know how to fix this back to what it was? I want always on to be just that.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Do you have in display then screen saver in your menu then tap to show always... I'm going by my phone don't have the Note

S10+ Tapatalk

OP
zinethar

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Thanks for the response - I had the always on display turned on BUT didn't know there was another page where I had to select ALWAYS instead of tap to show. All fixed now.

stevenlf82

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
@stevenlf512
I'm really digging the update,I'm glad we have night mode again.

OP
zinethar

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I'm really digging the update,I'm glad we have night mode again.
Me too so far. It has been so long since looking at a different android update I notice a lot more things this time - most notably the color on the "always on" screen!

BigNunz6

Reaction score
Thanks for the response - I had the always on display turned on BUT didn't know there was another page where I had to select ALWAYS instead of tap to show. All fixed now.
Came here hoping to find a fix for the same question I had. Thanks, all fixed!
PS love the night mode and I definitely see a longer battery life.

Last edited:

BigNunz6

Reaction score
I found something that's isn't working since the update. My live message will not work.
Says; "live message app stopped working". Any ideas??

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I found something that's isn't working since the update. My live message will not work.
Says; "live message app stopped working". Any ideas??

I'm sure you cleared app data but just throwing it out there in case...no updates from the app pending ?

iPhone X

BigNunz6

Reaction score
I'm sure you cleared app data but just throwing it out there in case...no updates from the app pending ?

iPhone X
Yes did that, thanks. The other choice, screen write, notes, translate etc etc are working. Live notes is the only one that isnt. Maybe a update will follow.
EDIT; I restarted the phone and like magic it's working again. Thanks again!

Last edited:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Yes did that, thanks. The other choice, screen write, notes, translate etc etc are working. Live notes is the only one that isnt. Maybe a update will follow.
EDIT; I restarted the phone and like magic it's working again. Thanks again!
Awesome... Great to hear it

S10+ Tapatalk

OP
zinethar

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I apparently have become a bit brain dead after the update - I can not seem to be able to close one running app without closing them all. I used to be able to hit the icon that displays all the running apps and hit the X to close the one I want gone. I now have a display that scrolls horizontally but I can't find an X anywhere to close the desired app. I can click it, then close it from the app, then return to the list and repeat but that is way too much clicking. The close all works fine. Ideas?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I apparently have become a bit brain dead after the update - I can not seem to be able to close one running app without closing them all. I used to be able to hit the icon that displays all the running apps and hit the X to close the one I want gone. I now have a display that scrolls horizontally but I can't find an X anywhere to close the desired app. I can click it, then close it from the app, then return to the list and repeat but that is way too much clicking. The close all works fine. Ideas?
I'm not using stock recents as I use Nicelock... But are you able to swipe it away?

S10+ Tapatalk

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Swipe it up to the top to close it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk