Verizon Nexus S coming in Feb 2011?

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
verizon-nexus-s-211.jpeg

Remember about a year ago checking Google.com/Nexus hoping they would confirm a release date for a Verizon version of the Nexus One? However, when the HTC Incredible launched the Verizon N1 was canceled. Fast forward a year later and the Nexus S is announced to launch with T-Mobile as the only US carrier. 1 day later, the first rumor pops up that the Nexus S could be heading to Verizon in February. According to a tweet posted by SamFirmware mentions "Latest news from Samsung Insider its better to wait to buy this Nexus S February!!!"

One more possible hint was discovered eariler by AndroidGuys. A line in the Google Nexus S contest reveals "The currently available Nexus S is a GSM device and is not compatible with CDMA networks such as Verizon and Sprint."

Is this reading to much into everything? For all we know that tweet could indicate a T-Mobile 4G version of the Nexus S coming in a few months. Would you consider purchasing the Nexus S if it came to big red?

** Update **
Looks like it won't be a Nexus S after all.. Something Better!

no-vzw-nexus-s.jpeg

Source: Droid-Life.com via AndroidGuys.com

creaky

Reaction score
Probably get Moto Etna in Feb even if Nexus S becomes available on VZW. It would be tough to hold out, though....

Blackhawk55

Reaction score
Why yes, yes I would! I like the idea of using the purest Android experience available. Right now it seems to be the flagship device but I'd have to compare it in February to what else is out there of course. However, knowing you are using the same phone that the android developers are developing on and for would be sweet. No Sense, no Blur, just Android done right.

B

BUFFALOMADMAN

In february there will be too many phones that have LTE capabilities with a tegra 2 chip inside them so would I buy this phone compared to tegra 2's the answer is hell no I don't care what kind of ui they put on there phones I would root anyway but tegra 2's are just to much of a game changer. Really no big deal if it has sense or blur I buy things by most up to date and performance and a UI I can deal with

Blackhawk55

Reaction score
In february there will be too many phones that have LTE capabilities with a tegra 2 chip inside them so would I buy this phone compared to tegra 2's the answer is hell no I don't care what kind of ui they put on there phones I would root anyway but tegra 2's are just to much of a game changer. Really no big deal if it has sense or blur I buy things by most up to date and performance and a UI I can deal with

So it's a given that all phones are expected to be instantly (or at least quickly) rootable and have access to OS enhancements as quick as the Nexus line? All I hear about is fear of the locked bootloaders in new devices. Why the outcry if they are all easily rootable? BTW I love my rooted Droid but I keep reading it's the last truly customizable phone. I also have been hanging onto the release of devices with tegra 2 and LTE support in order to be "current" and have the best performance, but I don't like thinking I have to use a UI I can "deal with" rather than enjoy. Should be an exciting next couple months!

etx_droid

Reaction score
This is good news. Holding on hope that this will be true! You guys can have your battery draining T2 chips, I'll take a pure Google device :)

B

BUFFALOMADMAN

So it's a given that all phones are expected to be instantly (or at least quickly) rootable and have access to OS enhancements as quick as the Nexus line? All I hear about is fear of the locked bootloaders in new devices. Why the outcry if they are all easily rootable? BTW I love my rooted Droid but I keep reading it's the last truly customizable phone. I also have been hanging onto the release of devices with tegra 2 and LTE support in order to be "current" and have the best performance, but I don't like thinking I have to use a UI I can "deal with" rather than enjoy. Should be an exciting next couple months!

The only locked device that I have heard is DX and motorola so I don't know why all the speculation all other devices are unlocked even the X the only thing is you cant change kernel if I am correct let me know if I am not tho. So in saying thiis all phones are ultimately rootable and ui for me for instance would not be a deal breaker

B

BUFFALOMADMAN

You might want to update the OP again... Samfirmware dropped another hint... It's going to be more than a Nexus S, Something even BETTER! Check it out! (Second update!)

Is the Nexus S on its Way to Verizon? (Updated) - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I understand that the nexus S will, if it lands on verizon, will hav LTE but that is not my gripe I am saying I much would rather have a dual core device over anything else by that time. I just think and is my opinion that why buy a single core device when tegrA 2 are out and about. Its just my opinion but I think most of us would think this nexus is not worth it just because the ui is google. Just my opinion tho

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Sounds like the 4.3" device from Samsung....

Zargon

Reaction score
I would prefer my next phone to have a higher resolution display than this. Am I alone in this thinking?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
If this device is this one I may be getting this one. It will be running then Orion

Samsung SCH-i510 (Stealth V) to feature 4.3" Super AMOLED display, 8MP camera - Phone Arena

CK, I am no chip expert, what is the dual-core Orion compared to the Tegra 2?
It will be the Tegra 2's toughest competitor

It has the same CPU architecture as Tegra 2 but it MAY have a slight edge in the graphics department. I mentioned slight. That remains to be seen. Nontheless it is going to be a phenomenal processor just as the Tegra 2 will be.

edit: In other words you can't go wrong if you choose a Dual-Core Orion over the Tegra 2 based phones : )