Verizon Nexus 6 Officially Coming: March 12th Online & March 19th in Stores

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
vzw-nexus6-finally.jpg

Here's another bit of Nexus 6 news for you folks this morning. Verizon finally "got off the pot," regarding the launch of the Google/Motorola Nexus 6. The device will launch tomorrow online (March 12th), and will hit Verizon stores on March 19th. The device will cost $249.99 with a two-year contract or $27.08 a month on Verizon EDGE.

They shared why it took them so long. Apparently the speculation/rumors that Verizon chose to jump from Android 5.0.2 straight to Android 5.1 for their Nexus 6 turned out to be true. The phone will come out of the box running Android 5.1. Of course, Big Red is also throwing in a slew of their own "upgrades" like Advanced Calling 1.0, which includes HD Voice Calling to other compatible Verizon smartphones and simultaneous voice & data capabilities.

Here's our Nexus 6 dedicated section for further discussion: Nexus 6 Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: VZW

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
2 things. Finally... And... It's a little late... If I was interested in this.. I would've gone to t-mobile by now... And picked one up..

They should've upped the battery too..

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
wonder how long it would take for my N6 to show up correctly in my devices on the verizon website?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
wonder how long it would take for my N6 to show up correctly in my devices on the verizon website?

There's a chance that only the Verizon branded ones will ever fully show up correctly in their system. But hopefully that's not the case.

djsiva

Reaction score
The real question is how do I get the advanced calling on my N6 that I purchased through Sprint because VZW was dragging their feet. :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Also.. Will the vzw device... Work on the other networks??

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Also.. Will the vzw device... Work on the other networks??

Verizon's should be SIM unlocked per their standing agreement with the FCC. Their branded version probably has all of the same internals as the unbranded version from the Play Store and Motorola (giving it all of the bands necessary to work on other networks), so I'd wager that it will work on other networks.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The real question is how do I get the advanced calling on my N6 that I purchased through Sprint because VZW was dragging their feet. :)

That's a good question, and I'll be curious to see if those with a non-Verizon branded Nexus 6 can get Advanced Calling working. 5.1 brings support for VoLTE to Android in general, but it's possible that special software will be needed in order to access it on Verizon's network.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Verizon's should be SIM unlocked per their standing agreement with the FCC. Their branded version probably has all of the same internals as the unbranded version from the Play Store and Motorola (giving it all of the bands necessary to work on other networks), so I'd wager that it will work on other networks.
But no guarantee that it won't be locked down... Or at least. . Could be after taking the software to enable volte...this is vzw after all

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
But no guarantee that it won't be locked down... Or at least. . Could be after taking the software to enable volte...this is vzw after all

What do you mean by "locked down" in this context? The SIM is required to be unlocked per their FCC agreement. The bootloader shouldn't be locked down since it's a Nexus. I don't think Google would let Verizon release it directly if the bootloader couldn't be unlocked. If I'm wrong about that, it signals a major white flag on behalf of Google and has troubling implications.

As for the VoLTE software, Verizon has other Advanced Calling devices that work just fine on other networks, so the presence of that software won't lock anything down. At the most, VoLTE may not work on other carriers without some tinkering if they require special software.

Reactions: cr6

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
What I mean by locked down is that there have been some issues with devices after installing vzw sim cards... I've seen it on a few sprint nexus devices. Once they were activated on vzw they wouldn't accept anyone else's sim card... Even after doing factory data resets..the devices had to be replaced.. Warrantied... But yes.. They should be the same device. But with vzw you never know.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
What I mean by locked down is that there have been some issues with devices after installing vzw sim cards... I've seen it on a few sprint nexus devices. Once they were activated on vzw they wouldn't accept anyone else's sim card... Even after doing factory data resets..the devices had to be replaced.. Warrantied... But yes.. They should be the same device. But with vzw you never know.

That's very odd. I haven't seen anything about that.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I may go look into this....
I know the battery is non-removable....but expandable memory??