Verizon Nexus 6...Beyond fashionably late

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
So, checking the Googleplay site, I see the Verizon version of the Nexus 6, is stilled greyed out. Is it too early to start assuming the worse?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Even if the Nexus 6 does come to Verizon, I doubt you'd be getting the full Nexus experience. However, with the Verizon Moto X actually getting Lollipop update recently, I'd say there's still hope for a bit of the Nexus experience on Verizon.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Peeps using the Nexus 6 on Verizon already.. No issues from what I'm reading.. Of course you have to pay full price if buying from outside Verizon... I think Verizon folks will be just fine this time..

M8 tap'd

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Even if the Nexus 6 does come to Verizon, I doubt you'd be getting the full Nexus experience. However, with the Verizon Moto X actually getting Lollipop update recently, I'd say there's still hope for a bit of the Nexus experience on Verizon.
I could almost swear there is a reason Moto X phones get updated fast. There is almost no bloat on my AT&T Moto X (2013), which means AT&T might not necessarily be pushing the updates.

Of coarse if the Galaxy Nexus is any indication, I would stay really far away. Time will tell.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
You would think that Verizon would prioritize this phone to add another unit to its stable. Holiday season is here. Dropping this phone afterwards would be a mistake.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Verizon and Motorola have a DROID relationship and a line of phones that has been serving them very well.

If the Moto X jeopardizes sales of the Droid Turbo, I wouldn't be surprised if they let it slip through the cracks.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You would think that Verizon would prioritize this phone to add another unit to its stable. Holiday season is here. Dropping this phone afterwards would be a mistake.
If the phone doesn't have a Droid or Apple logo on it, Verizon won't be pushing their reps to sell it.

I stepped into a Verizon store a couple weeks back when the z3v was released. Not a single ad for the z3v and when I asked the rep about it she said "it might be over there" (pointing towards the "last generation" device wall). Fast forward to just a few days ago, and I had reps pointing me straight towards the Droid Turbo. I could tell the rep knew what he was talking about so I ask about the z3v and he starts bringing up the specs of the Turbo and saying how it's pretty much superior in every way. So just to throw him off I said "PS4 remote play is what I really want", he reluctantly showed me the z3v.

I asked about the Nexus 6 and he had the most blank look on his face as if he wasn't trained how to respond to such a question.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If the phone doesn't have a Droid or Apple logo on it, Verizon won't be pushing their reps to sell it.

I stepped into a Verizon store a couple weeks back when the z3v was released. Not a single ad for the z3v and when I asked the rep about it she said "it might be over there" (pointing towards the "last generation" device wall). Fast forward to just a few days ago, and I had reps pointing me straight towards the Droid Turbo. I could tell the rep knew what he was talking about so I ask about the z3v and he starts bringing up the specs of the Turbo and saying how it's pretty much superior in every way. So just to throw him off I said "PS4 remote play is what I really want", he reluctantly showed me the z3v.

I asked about the Nexus 6 and he had the most blank look on his face as if he wasn't trained how to respond to such a question.
The Verizon store in my town is similar, but a different tune. If you pretend like you don't know anything about phones, they will guide you straight to the Samsung or Apple tables & nothing else. They steer way clear of the Droid / Motorola aisle. There is a new Moto X??? Moto made a Nexus???

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus

There are very few sales reps in any store that you go to that can relate to most of the phone's on the market. It's not surprising though. With all of the different types of Android phones it would be impossible for a rep to be able to know all of them. Microsoft is easy and Apple sells itself, but most people do not have time to run the gammut of Android and have a life outside of work.

Where I live the majority of stores are small. Even the corporate stores. Their displays are lacking and there isn't room to cater to all devices.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5

None of us should be surprised by this.

They steer way clear of the Droid / Motorola aisle. There is a new Moto X??? Moto made a Nexus???

This is kind of proof in the pudding that companies like LG and Motorola that their advertising isn't hitting the target audience. You have to give consumers and incentive to switch. Neither Motorola nor LG have really done that, in my opinion.

There are very few sales reps in any store that you go to that can relate to most of the phone's on the market. It's not surprising though. With all of the different types of Android phones it would be impossible for a rep to be able to know all of them. Microsoft is easy and Apple sells itself, but most people do not have time to run the gammut of Android and have a life outside of work.

I might also add that surely Samsung and Apple are probably giving carriers more incentive to push their products. It trickles down to the salesroom. I love going in to the AT&T store and asking the reps questions I know they aren't likely to know the answer to, and I jump for glee if I come across rep that does!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Does lollipop have a feature where you can delete bloat and not just disable it, while stock (not rooted)?? I just read this.. It makes me kinda curious.. How will vzw shoot us in the foot on that?? Oh.. By not allowing it?? Anybody with an x care to chime in?? Can you delete bloat?

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Typically you cannot do it without root access, as bloatware apps are typically system apps.

With root access they can be frozen or disabled so they are taking up space but essentially do not function. They also can be removed, but caution needs to be taken as removal of some bloat can cause legitimate apps to not function properly.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Typically you cannot do it without root access, as bloatware apps are typically system apps.

With root access they can be frozen or disabled so they are taking up space but essentially do not function. They also can be removed, but caution needs to be taken as removal of some bloat can cause legitimate apps to not function properly.
I'm aware of that.. I just read that lollipop was/is supposed to have the ability to remove bloatware ...while unrooted .. That's what I'm curious about..

Last edited:

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I have not heard of that. That is not to say it isn't true. It wouldn't make sense though, as Android is open source. Where I am going with this is, aside from Google Play Services, which are required to make Google Apps work with Android, the OEM and carrier can do what they want more or less.

Samsung, on top of GPS, have their own apps and app store. AT&T has a similar feature. Each company wants you to use their apps, which at times can be redundant. I just use Google Apps and be happy all things are in one place.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah I just heard it on the moto site..but its also been said that moto is taking more control of Android.. So... Perhaps there is hope.. Maybe they'll allow us to remove the carrier apps and stay with a Google experience.. That's what I'd prefer anyhow..