Verizon Nailed with a $1.25 Million Fine by FCC; Must Stop Blocking Tethering Apps

wmayo44

Reaction score
Hmmm, if the FCC did not really actually technically rule on the limited plan extra tether charge, then why did VZ make the change? It will be years before those older limited plans go away totally. I just can't believe out the goodness of their hearts.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, if the FCC did not really actually technically rule on the limited plan extra tether charge, then why did VZ make the change? It will be years before those older limited plans go away totally. I just can't believe out the goodness of their hearts.

Because contrary to popular opinion, VZW has done lots of things over the years to stay competitive and make plans more appealing to consumers.

And on the greed side, probably because people on a limited plan can't abuse the system (which is the real issue with unlimited plans), and allowing them to tether might help them realize a need for more data. I mean, you'll note they DIDN'T make the change for limited plans - and if their motivation was what you are implying, they would have done it on the unlimited plans, as well.

Red Droid

Reaction score
Perhaps this thought has been floated elsewhere, but...

If the gist of the FCC ruling is that Verizon can't block my installation of apps onto my phone, what about Verizon blocking my REMOVAL of apps from my phone? The extra memory used by NFL, Blockbuster/Netflix, etc would speed up the phone by removing said apps, or at least give me more storage space.

Hmmm...

CaptainQuack

Reaction score
don't know if I missed this or not. I've got a Bionic and live in an area where we have 4g next town over but only 3g here. I'm on a limited plan (4 gigs) and only look to use tethering very rairly. being as I'm not on 4g most of the time does this decision apply to me? I called Verizon and only got billing bafflegab about sharing etc etc. it's the g3 thing that bothers me. (I was told we had 4g in my town before I bought. yah right. but it's not a deal killer for me)