Verizon/Motorola Warranty

AquaDan88

Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew what Verizon or Motorola's warranty policy is. I've had my droid since release in November. I noticed that I have the all too common issue with the keyboard slider coming lose, but that didn't bother me that much. Recently (within the past week) I've noticed that the headphone jack is shorting out (yes, I've tried multiple headphones). I have the insurance, but I really don't want to spend the $80 if I can go through the warranty. Also, would they exchange for a refurbished/used, or a new phone. I've had problems with them exchanging for crappy refurbished phones before, and don't want to deal with that.

If anyone has any info, that would be great! Thanks!:icon_ banana:

zero7starz

Reaction score
"Certified Like New Replacement"

1-866-406-5154

But in short, yes its covered for 1 year. Be sure there is no water damage.

OP
AquaDan88

AquaDan88

Reaction score
Yea, I just called. Got a replacement coming on Tuesday. Hope the problem doesn't arise again. Now on to unrooting and restoring 2.0.1. :p

Here's a question tho. I know I can get all my apps back from the Market, however, will all my data stored by apps stay? Or will I have to redo all app settings/info when I get my new phone?

nphil

Reaction score
download titanium backup off the market, it backs up all your app data too. When you get your replacement phone, swap memory cards and select restore all apps+data.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
download titanium backup off the market, it backs up all your app data too. When you get your replacement phone, swap memory cards and select restore all apps+data.
I was going to suggest the same thing. I discovered and started using Titanium Backup a couple of days ago and it's WONDERFUL. I even donated the $3.99 to the developer. And, he was very quick with support questions I had.

jofficus

Reaction score
Asurion plus Extended Warranty

I recently had an issue with my Droid as well (dealing with the screen blanking out intermittently and then finally dying completely) and was wondering about having to pay $50 to get a new phone through the Asurion protection plan. But, when I spent a few minutes looking through their site, and my account deductible info I saw this:

"Your program combines Asurion's Wireless Phone Protection ($4.99) and Verizon Wireless' Extended Warranty ($1.00)."

The site also provides a direct link back to Verizon's Extended Warranty terms, and it states:

"If there is a defect (including pre-existing) in the material and/or workmanship of your individually owned wireless device ... and the Product has been subject only to normal use and service, Verizon Wireless agrees to replace the Product at no charge, as long as you return it .... to a Verizon Wireless Communications Store ..."

Having nothing to lose, I walked into my local VZW store today, and walked right back out with a brand new Droid. No deductible, no hassle. The reps there said that this will continue to be the case for the entirety of the time I have the phone - if the CURRENT model I have is less than one year old, and a defect occurs (not dropping it, losing it, etc.) I can just go back in and get another brand new one.

Food for thought . . . ?

OP
AquaDan88

AquaDan88

Reaction score
I recently had an issue with my Droid as well (dealing with the screen blanking out intermittently and then finally dying completely) and was wondering about having to pay $50 to get a new phone through the Asurion protection plan. But, when I spent a few minutes looking through their site, and my account deductible info I saw this:

"Your program combines Asurion's Wireless Phone Protection ($4.99) and Verizon Wireless' Extended Warranty ($1.00)."

The site also provides a direct link back to Verizon's Extended Warranty terms, and it states:

"If there is a defect (including pre-existing) in the material and/or workmanship of your individually owned wireless device ... and the Product has been subject only to normal use and service, Verizon Wireless agrees to replace the Product at no charge, as long as you return it .... to a Verizon Wireless Communications Store ..."

Having nothing to lose, I walked into my local VZW store today, and walked right back out with a brand new Droid. No deductible, no hassle. The reps there said that this will continue to be the case for the entirety of the time I have the phone - if the CURRENT model I have is less than one year old, and a defect occurs (not dropping it, losing it, etc.) I can just go back in and get another brand new one.

Food for thought . . . ?

First off, its an $80 for an "Advanced" Smart Phone through Asurion.

Second, I guarantee the unit they gave you is a refurbished unit, unless you purchased the phone less than 30 days ago. Verizon's 1 year limited warranty states that they'll replace your phone with a like-new replacement as long as the damaged phone is not damaged due to misuse.

jofficus

Reaction score
First off, its an $80 for an "Advanced" Smart Phone through Asurion.

Second, I guarantee the unit they gave you is a refurbished unit, unless you purchased the phone less than 30 days ago. Verizon's 1 year limited warranty states that they'll replace your phone with a like-new replacement as long as the damaged phone is not damaged due to misuse.
From the deductible information listed on my account at Asurion's website:

"Program Information
Wireless Number xxxxxxxxxxxxx Manufacturer MOTOROLA Model DROID Deductible $50.00 Monthly Fee $5.99 Your program combines Asurion's Wireless Phone Protection ($4.99) and Verizon Wireless' Extended Warranty ($1.00).
"
It's entirely possible that when I switched to a DROID the store-level rep didn't adjust something in the computer accordingly. Perhaps the first time I actually have to pay my deductible, they'll inform me and make me pay the higher amount, but RIGHT NOW, my deductible is still clearly only $50.

Also, I saw the store rep rep take a new phone out of package for me. She made a big deal out of taking the memory card out of the new phone and swapping in the one from my dead Droid. She explained how I had to stick with the battery from my current phone, and that she couldn't give me the one that was in the box with the new Droid, only sell me an additional battery if I was interested. Lastly, the original plastic was still on the phone when she handed it to me, to reenter my account info and restore my accounts to the phone (she obviously wouldn't know I'd be rooting the new one at home and doing all that again, so I played along). There was plastic on the screen, and also on the back of the phone, where the sliding screen meets the keyboard. I could believe that they might put plastic on a refurb phone, but would they really put the plastic on the back of the screen half as well?

OP
AquaDan88

AquaDan88

Reaction score
Yes, they put all the plastic on the refurbished phones just like a new one. I believe all the casing/keyboard/screen is new (hence the plastic). What makes it a "refurbished" model is that they use the same insides/hardware.

Where did you find the insurance information. I'd like to check mine to see what it says. When I signed up for it, the Verizon rep said it was an $80 deductible. $50 was the old deductible.

Last edited:

jofficus

Reaction score
Go to: Verizon Lookup

Enter your info and it should tell you what your deductible is. Also if you are signed up for it, below the info they should have a link to the Verizon Extended Warranty page. The direct link to that is:

Terms & Conditions

Good luck, and I hope your replacement Droid comes soon!

Reaction score
Last weekend my droids touchscreen quit working from the bottom of the screen up about 3/16 of an inch. Wierd.
Anyway. Walk in to Verizon, walk out with refurbished one.
No hassles no problems.
Backed up all my data on Astro to the SD Card.
You still have to go through and set up all of the custom ring tones to the contacts though....ugh. That took some time.

jofficus

Reaction score
Manufacturer MOTOROLA Model DROID Deductible $89.00

Like I said in my earlier post, I suspect that my lower deductible is due to a store-level error more than anything. My fiancee and I are on a family plan, and swapped upgrades a while back, since she needed to immediately upgrade to a Blackberry following a promotion at work last year. I, in turn, used her upgrade this past fall to snag myself my Droid. Our local store reps were great at making the swaps happen, but we also had to call more than once to reactivate certain features on both our lines afterward (like Visual Voicemail on my line, for example)

Hopefully I won't need to use the deductible before my next upgrade/NE2, because I am now getting the feeling that the error will probably be noticed when I call into Asurion . . .

DCMountaineer

Reaction score
Regarding the Deductibles through Asurion:
The Verizon Rep told me that because I had insurance on my ENV2 ($50 deductible) and because I made no changes to my insurance plan when I bought a DROID, I kept the same exact insurance plan with the same premiums and deductible. If you sign up for insurance for a first time when you get a DROID, it'll will be a $90 deductible.