Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Holy crap. $720 for just the 64Gb version.
That's sad news.

Funny how Moto blasts away from the carriers and prices the MXPE to sell, then comes out with VZW exclusives and jacks the prices up.

As others have pointed out, the Droid line is/has been very lucrative for them, so I can't exactly blame them, but this just solidifies my personal shift towards unlocked phones, bought direct from the OEM.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I agree 100%. This just goes to show that VZW wants as much money as possible. Moto can sell the MXPE for less than the starting costs of the T2. Shatterproof screen or not, that is robbery.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't think we can blame VZW completely here. Moto wants that money too. The Droid line, with it's marketing and VZW pushing those devices hard, makes Moto plenty of money as well.

There was an article out a little while ago how Moto is almost in as rough shape as htc and Sony. The Droid line profits will keep them afloat longer than the other two if trends remain, imo.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
When Moto keeps getting sold and bought, you know it's in trouble .

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. I thought they'd be under Google's wing for quite a bit longer than they were. When they left Big G, I was hoping they'd take some of what they learned with them, which they have, but they also left a lot of good behind.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I now understand the email I received from VZW "Take $300 off a new Turbo 2 purchase"

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Lmao! Yeah. Still makes it more costly than other very nice options released this year.

I knew it wasn't going to be pretty when all of the write-ups I saw on it said they declined to discuss pricing. One source I read said the 32GB was over $600, so I knew the bigger option wouldn't be pretty.

Although, that 64GB option DOES give you one free redesign in the course of owning the device. That's kinda cool. Though I'm still glad I'm awaiting my 6P instead of trying to consider a new Droid.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yep, I am sure that a huge chunk of that $720 is going straight to Verizon and that price is set by Verizon. There was a time when there were different prices for the Verizon Moto X and the AT&T Moto X on the Moto Maker website when that phone first came out. I highly doubt that Moto wanted different prices....the carriers wanted their own price.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yep, I am sure that a huge chunk of that $720 is going straight to Verizon and that price is set by Verizon. There was a time when there were different prices for the Verizon Moto X and the AT&T Moto X on the Moto Maker website when that phone first came out. I highly doubt that Moto wanted different prices....the carriers wanted their own price.
I'm curious to know what you think of the prices? Didn't you say somewhere that you were seriously considering the new Turbo? Do you care that you could get a different device with very similar specs (smaller battery, no shatterproof screen, of course) for considerably less, or do you still fee like the Turbo is a good value/choice?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
How much is the 6p?
As for Google buying then selling Moto: they just wanted the patents.

Tap'n Turbo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm curious to know what you think of the prices? Didn't you say somewhere that you were seriously considering the new Turbo? Do you care that you could get a different device with very similar specs (smaller battery, no shatterproof screen, of course) for considerably less, or do you still fee like the Turbo is a good value/choice?

I think the prices are ridiculous...but I also think the price of any new phone is ridiculous when it is first released. That's one of the main reasons why I wait to buy my phones. I didn't buy a Turbo until August of this year when they were around $300 brand new. Personally I would never spend $500 + on any phone, but that's just me. I still plan on getting a Turbo 2 with custom Moto Maker options....but will gladly wait until next Spring / Summer when the price is more reasonable. I don't need to have one right away...my Turbo is only a few months old and running great. Once I have had it for close to a year and that "itch" for a new phone starts...Turbo 2 on Moto Maker. If it stays at $649 forever and never drops...then I will look at other options, like the Moto X Pure.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
i PAID $650 FOR MY WIFE'S IpHONE. mADE SENSE AT THE TIME BECAUSE OF THE CONTRACT AND HER UNLIMITED DATA. wORKED OUT TO SAVING AROUND $180 OVER THE COURSE OF THE CONTRACT.
/Sorry, acci-caps

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
So for an extra $70 compared to that iPhone I get a 4 YEAR screen warranty and I can trade it in one time? Seriously? And you think that's expensive?
Trade in at the 2 year mark and get one with a new battery? I might actually KEEP it 4 years then. I usually have a phone for 2 years, so 1 for 4 years at a marginally higher price?

Come on jaded enthusiasts....

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I would be swimming from the HTC ship to the Motorola ship for the turbo 2, but no front stereo speakers and VZW logoin the middle of the bottom...:Facepalm:
Did they change the Speaker Position on the Droid Turbo 2 from where it was on the Droid Turbo. That was one thing I liked with the Front Speaker and it was fairly Loud and sounded pretty good.