Verizon Makes it Even Harder to Keep Unlimited; Kills Device Payment Plan as of July 13

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-execs-in-the-shadows.jpeg

Although it is starting to become somewhat of a non-issue for some of us, unlimited data on Verizon is still an important topic for many. The latest move by Verizon will do nothing to change our perspective that they want Unlimited Data to go away.

On July 13th, the same day they extended their Edge program to tablets, they also killed off their Device Payment Plan option. The reason why this indirectly affects those with unlimited data plans is because this program offered folks an affordable option to buy a new device with payments yet still keep their unlimited data plan.

With the device payment plan ended, that is one less method users have to keep unlimited data. Now, if customers want a more affordable way to get a device without paying for its full price all at once, they will have to use the Verizon Edge program, which will mean giving up your unlimited data package.

To be clear, the device payment plan is only ended for new sign-ups. Those who are already in the middle of a device payment plan will continue that as normal.

Here's Big Red's statement on the subject: Verizon

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
LOL. I didn't even know this option existed in the first place. It's almost like this post is some cruel joke or something. One of the reasons I went with the MX is because I could afford it. If I could have bought a device through Verizon, with monthly payments, I would have went that route and maybe had chosen the LG G2 (or something).

Did going this route extend your contract in some way?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I moved to buying my device outright anyway. No sense in contracts or payment plans. Maybe not everyone can do that, but it just is so much easier and flexible, and I get to keep unlimited data.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I bought my phone from Motorola to keep my unlimited data. Wonder what they'll try next to take the unlimited data from us.

Tapped from a Moto X

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL. I didn't even know this option existed in the first place. It's almost like this post is some cruel joke or something. One of the reasons I went with the MX is because I could afford it. If I could have bought a device through Verizon, with monthly payments, I would have went that route and maybe had chosen the LG G2 (or something).

Did going this route extend your contract in some way?

Yeah... I hear ya. When I saw this intel, I did a head-spin too. I didn't remember that Big Red even had this option...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Never knew this existed either. I'm not sure what the difference is when you pay $600 up front or $25 a month for 24 months. I suppose some can't fork over the lump sum right away but in the long run it's still the same cost.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
We were seriously considering ordering our S5's through Best Buy and taking advantage of that so called "glitch", where people have been able to keep their unlimited plans. Ultimately we didn't want to chance it and have it come back and bite us in the kiester, so we paid retail for ours as well. It's too important for me to end up losing it because of a technicality.

tap'n on my S5

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I bought my phone from Motorola to keep my unlimited data. Wonder what they'll try next to take the unlimited data from us.

I'm guessing that once the number of people on the unlimited plan either plateau or drop below some predetermined threshold they'll probably not let you upgrade the device on that plan. Then they'll wait for us to dry up and blow away.

Rumor has it that the Nexus 5 already has the radios necessary, physically in the phone, to operate on VZW but they simply don't allow the phone on the network. They'll probably do the same to any phone that is economical off contract.

I seems like every year they tighten the noose on the Unlimiteds, and I think the trend will continue until we are so few that they won't care if we leave.

swc2001

Reaction score
Well to me this is a Non issue. We have unlimited and the way we upgrade our phones is simple....
We pay 10 dollars extra a month to have a 3rd line. On this line we upgrade it every 2 years and get a new phone. We simply move the phone over to which ever line we want and then presto Upgraded phone through the back door. Also We wait till the phone is free. That way we are paying 240 for the upgrade. Like last time I updated to the Galaxy S4 on Black Friday of last year. It was free. However that means between me and my wife we only get an upgrade every 4 years. She is still on the Droid 4. So hopefully in 2015 she will get the Samsung Galaxy S 5 or 6.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I I think the trend will continue until we are so few that they won't care if we leave.
....either that or eventually they won't care that there are so few of us left they'll allow us to stay grandfathered in as long as we continue to pay retail. (That's what I'm going with) :D
The first rumor I hear that Verizon is axing it for good after you purchase your next device, ill go out and buy the latest and greatest and will milk every bit of life I can out of that puppy.
So I'm thinking I'll be good for at least the next decade. (I can dream can't I?) LOL

tap'n on my S5

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
If they dump unlimited, I'll go back to a basic phone for phone calls and texting.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Unlimited will probably stay IMO ..you will just have to but phones outright ....I think Verizon will just not offer you any extras for new features down the road ...that will be their way to make you decide if you want to keep plan ...

M8 tap'd

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
....either that or eventually they won't care that there are so few of us left they'll allow us to stay grandfathered in as long as we continue to pay retail. (That's what I'm going with) :D
The first rumor I hear that Verizon is axing it for good after you purchase your next device, ill go out and buy the latest and greatest and will milk every bit of life I can out of that puppy.
So I'm thinking I'll be good for at least the next decade. (I can dream can't I?) LOL

tap'n on my S5
You better believe before I give up my unlimted I'm going to milk every last bit of data I can... I'll make it my mission to use 1tb plus a month... I'll become the local hotspot... I'll host a damn lan party off my unlimted tethered data. When they close the account and try to charge me for the data I'll never pay... let them try to ruin my credit.

yeah, eat it Verizon!!!

Or just let me keep my unlimted upgrade my phone, pay my bill... and use my 12gb or so a month and be a happy customer who has been with you on my own plan since 2006 and whose mother has been with you since 1998 on airtouch.... that's much better

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
I moved to buying my device outright anyway.
No sense in contracts or payment plans. Maybe not everyone can do that, but it just is so much easier and flexible, and I get to keep unlimited data.
I purchased outright as well - but joined in with Son's shared plan -

This plan has only 4gb data - unlimited text etc, but still $100 each a month.
Travel across country in severe storm - required constant view to dodge tornado threat.
Those few hours killed entire shared 4GB data plan. I was a bit furious -
But you should of heard my Son.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
There's no way I could handled anything but unlimited. It takes almost 4GB just to download everything I use to mod my device with. Not to mention all the extras I use to develop with