Verizon Makes Contract and Upgrade Rules Stricter; Abandons Early Upgrades

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Apr 12, 2013.

1. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Really you can just use a credit card and apply the $$$ from the sale of your old phone and pay the CC bill when it comes in. I was just giving options to try and help

2. wvdroidman

wvdroidman Member

Ratings:
    +6
    ok thanks. Will Verizon's plan be like tmobile's where you pay $100 or $150 then pay like $40 or $50 a month for 2 years instead of full retail?

3. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Likely so. They will just divide the dollar amount out over time and the extra cost will vary as far as the price of the phone you want.

4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    That's your right, I just don't get the whining. If you can save a few bucks, good for you. But VZW isn't greedy, they aren't evil, and they certainly aren't forcing you to be gouged for your service. The vast majority of their customers don't feel that way, which is why VZW is #1.

I think I posted here somewhere a while back that VZW makes an average of $2/mo per customer in profit. The best footprint and most reliable service costs money - VZW simply isn't making money hand over fist even if some of their customers think they are entitled to what THEY think is a fair price.

5. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,375
    I feel even better now about leaving verizon. Every time I think I would miss it news like this reminds me why I made the decision in the first place.

[​IMG]

6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    SMH...used to be people only financed houses and cars....If you didn't have cash for a new tv, you couldn't afford one.

• Like Like x 2
  7. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,375
    I have to disagree and here is why. The 2 year contract price includes the remaining price of the phone. In other words, the reason I pay 90-100+ a month for a contract is because I bought the device subsidized. For me to buy the phone full price and still pay 100+ for a device means they are making hands over fist. Sadly they are not the only carriers who do this but they are the ones who stand out because they eliminated unlimited data and are telling their grandfathered customers that if they want to remain grandfathered be prepared to pay full retail for a smart phone.

Where I do agree with you is that vzw is not the only one doing it (as I said above). They also are at least putting the money into improving the infrastructure. As a customer we have a choice. We can either accept it or go somewhere else. It is not verizon's fault or concern that other carriers do not have the infrastructure that they do...it is called capitalism. There job is to offer something others do not and place a price that makes them a profit, something every business do. Profits= money for employees= employees able to buy something which further helps the economy.

8. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    whether or not they suffer is personally irrelevant. I just care about saving myself some $

9. jseah

jseah Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    You forgot that Verizon also mentioned that they will charge you $2 a month for the "privilege" of stretching out the payments. And I believe that Verizon will also charge a $20 or $30 one-time fee somewhat similar to an upgrade fee.

10. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36
    You are right on.....that is why I prefer my method of upgrade shown in an earlier post. Buy the phone outright and then use the sale of your previous device to recoup your dollars. Or, if I didn't have the cash up front I could activate an old D4 I have and then sell my Note 2 and use that money to pay for the upgrade and still have the D4 as back up for next time. There is always a work around. You just have to be creative

Search tags for this page
i've had my verizon contract for 21 months, can i upgrade no
reupping my verizon contract deposit required
verizon contract one year rule 2013

verizon contract rules

verizon makes contract and upgrade rules stricter; abandons
verizon upgrade guidelines 2014
verizon upgrade rules
verizon upgrade transfer rules
verizon wireless upgrading rules
vorizen two year contract rule