Verizon likely to implement tiered data plans later this year

jrodizkool01

Reaction score
I think that its a bad idea because I use things like youtube and facebook (full site) on my phone a lot since I have unlimited and dont feel like having to check all the time if Im going past my data limitation.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The thing that bothers me about this is simple..... I paid $569 of my hard earned cash (+tax) for my Droid under the understanding that I could have unlimited email and data for $29.95/month. If they're going to start nickle and diming me because I use ~3GB/month; then i'm gonna have to give up my Droid and move to a prepaid carrier such as Boost Mobile or Virgin Mobile. Both MVNOs are starting to offer smartphones, and the pricing for unlimited data KILLS Verizon's pricing. For $60/month, I can get UNLIMITED everything on Virgin Mobile. I also hear they're going to be getting Android devices soon; maybe someday we'll see an EVO 4G since VM USA is a Sprint MVNO. Right now the best I can get is a Curve 8550; but as I said mention has been made of an Android device.

Boost seems to have the same plan pricing, and they ALREADY have a (admittedly low-end) Android device. The worst thing about the Motorola i1, though, is it only runs Android 1.5 - however, if the pricing on VZW gets out of hand, I might HAVE to move to a cheaper device/carrier if I want to continue owning a smartphone. I already get snagged $100/month and I don't have unlimited voice or text. And that's with a 19% discount on my plan.

CongoJack90

Reaction score
I think tiers would be great for people who aren't always glued to their smartphones browser. But personally I am royally f***ed since I use anywhere from 7 gigs to 11 gigs of data a month. But eh me and people like me are aparently the minority.

rpk717

Reaction score
I would be OK if unused bandwidth would carry over so if I paid for so many gigs a month and didn't used it all it would carry over and be deposited in my account. That way my usage would reflect how much I pay and the carrier would be paid for everything I do. That seems fair.

bluedust

Reaction score
stretch2m, if VZW follows the ATT model, pricing won't get extravagant if you go over.

$25 for 2gb data if i recall, then if you go over that, $10 per gb ($35 for 3gb, $45 for 4gb, etc), if i recall correctly...

If that's what they end up doing (or something like that) I would be happy.

You would be happy paying $25 a month for 2GBs of data (which is nothing, jesus if that's AT&Ts real plan...) after paying $30 for unlimited?

I don't like getting boned in the ass so I hope it doesn't go to that.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
as the article states, the average user uses 600-800mb per month. so i guess many of us on this forum are in the minority who use more than that

CrusoeCale

Reaction score
I stream a lot of music and videos and use tethering a lot so if this comes to be, and the prices are unreasonable, than I guarantee come next march, I will not be renewing my contract.

techRob

Reaction score
hmm... 1,146MB so far this month (dunno if today is included or not) - my month ends on the 23rd. This is due to Pandora I'm willing to bet - maybe a few other small things, maybe... I could see potentially paying $20-$30 for a 5-8GB cap - I don't like the idea...but since this month I haven't used my Wireless internet with my phone (3g only), i think mine will definitely drop. As for the tethering debate, that would be a situation of "only if i need my interwebz" - for me :)

grinchy

Reaction score
Don't know about you...but when I signed a 2yr contract with verizon it was to include unlimited data package...now if they want to all of the sudden piss backwards and not honor what was agreed upon...what legal legs do we as exsisting users actually have?

This is similar to moving into a house/apartment and agreeing in writing to 600.00 a month for 24 months...then after a few go by they decide to renegotiate w/out listening or even considering your input...

Verizon should tread VERY easy w/customers who's accts are coming to the end of their contracts...they could and probably will lose customers over GREED!

Yes Verizon is the biggest/baddest out there...however there are also several competitors that are more than willing to welcome new customers for less $$$

sos567656765

Reaction score
Hmm im currently 10 days into my billing and used ~1GBand they have been a SLOW 10 days. so if this is what verizon decides to do i guess sprint here i come!!.

Whatever happened to the good ole days of providers. i started with cellular one and LOVED there service, it was cheap, fast (for the time) and truly unlimited. I think i was paying $60 for unlimited everything. they sold out and i went to alltel... same story, loved the service and the price granted they were a little slower to adopt new phones but by the time they did they were rock solid (with the exception of the razer). Now im with big V i gotta say the coverage is the best i have ever had but the bill is ALMOST doubled what i was used to. so like i said if needed i will jump to sprint but i really dont want it to come to that.

zMd113

Reaction score
I've almost used 1 GB since last Tuesday, Verison better honor their side of this 2 year contract or I'll pay my way out and go elsewhere. They can nickle and dime anyone they want but they'll honor our contract or they will lose customers left and right. And they better not slow down the speed at which I surf the web either.
Bull crap...

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
i think you all making a bigger deal then it should be they would have to legally stay with the contract that you signed if not they breeched it and you would be free to go

also what happened to using wifi im sure alot of you have it why not use wifi when your home

its faster for one (i assume)
it may drain your battery a little more but your at home use your charger
and it would cut down your data usage by alot i assume

zMd113

Reaction score
Well I live in the sticks so I have no WiFi, that's the main reason I wanted a smartphone.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
There is really no real rationale for the tier data plan for the amount of usage. For example, we all pay the same price for our high speed internet connection right? So I am assuming that there are people who just download tons of stuff on their computer "hogging bandwidth" and then there are those that just check their emails. So the next step is to regulate that also? I know that high speed internet have tiers on "Speed" whether is just normal high speed to T1 connection to business class. I understand that. I want more speed so i will pay more for the right to 'hog' data line. But to say I have to pay more base on usage but the same 'speed' as everyone else is nonsense. its like say you have unlimited mobile to mobile minutes but some 'few' people are just yapping away burning those mins up while others use 10 mins/month. its unfair to the person who only use 10 mins,no? There are to many 'poor is me its unfair that i have to pay so much when i dont use it' mentality. AT&T states that 95% of their users are using less then 200 MB a month. ONLY 5% of their users are over that. Im sure the break down of that 5% consist of 1-2% thats is using Gigs of data. This is telling me that its not the users that are putting a 'strain' on their system since 1-2% are burning data up, its AT&T lack of infrastructure or an excuse they use to just cover their butts and bullied their customers around. Companies are in business to make money as most effective as they can. They are not doing the tier to help out the people who are using less. They are doing the tier to attract people who are using less to say hey not a bad idea. I should switch and save $5-$10. AT&T will make more on the 2 yrs contract of those new sign up. thats my .02 cents. Have a good weekend. :D

beneharris

Reaction score
This makes sense, especially given the tethering "problem". It will force heavy tether users to pay for what they're using. Whether we like it or not, it's really the only way for the carriers to control usage while keeping the cost structure fair for the average and heavy users.
yeah but we are paying for an "unlimited" plan. using a lot of bandwidth is not a problem. its geting what you are paying for.