Verizon likely to implement tiered data plans later this year

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Shadez, Jun 18, 2010.

1. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    The My Verizon app lets me monitor my usage. If it warned me when I thought I was getting close that might do the trick. Now, if I'm tethering a bunch of X-Boxes and not paying attention to my phone...well, I guess I'll pay more attention next month, won't I ? :)

Better yet, data traffic stops and I have an option to upgrade my plan for the rest of the month, leave data off until the end of the month, or pay the higher rate. All speculation at this stage of how they will implement it. I'm sure we'll be hearing more in the days to come.

2. Mojo

Mojo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree there should be smaller packages available for users. I think it would be reasonable to have say 2 gigs for 20$ 5 gigs for 25$ and unlimited plus wifi hotspot tethering for 50$. If you transmit x ammount of data say a gig in 12hours. Have the speeds throttled down to 3g. To protect the network from overload.

3. Stretch2m

Stretch2m Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If that's what they end up doing (or something like that) I would be happy.

4. jrodizkool01

jrodizkool01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think that its a bad idea because I use things like youtube and facebook (full site) on my phone a lot since I have unlimited and dont feel like having to check all the time if Im going past my data limitation.

5. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    The thing that bothers me about this is simple..... I paid $569 of my hard earned cash (+tax) for my Droid under the understanding that I could have unlimited email and data for $29.95/month. If they're going to start nickle and diming me because I use ~3GB/month; then i'm gonna have to give up my Droid and move to a prepaid carrier such as Boost Mobile or Virgin Mobile. Both MVNOs are starting to offer smartphones, and the pricing for unlimited data KILLS Verizon's pricing. For $60/month, I can get UNLIMITED everything on Virgin Mobile. I also hear they're going to be getting Android devices soon; maybe someday we'll see an EVO 4G since VM USA is a Sprint MVNO. Right now the best I can get is a Curve 8550; but as I said mention has been made of an Android device.

Boost seems to have the same plan pricing, and they ALREADY have a (admittedly low-end) Android device. The worst thing about the Motorola i1, though, is it only runs Android 1.5 - however, if the pricing on VZW gets out of hand, I might HAVE to move to a cheaper device/carrier if I want to continue owning a smartphone. I already get snagged $100/month and I don't have unlimited voice or text. And that's with a 19% discount on my plan.

6. CongoJack90

CongoJack90 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think tiers would be great for people who aren't always glued to their smartphones browser. But personally I am royally f***ed since I use anywhere from 7 gigs to 11 gigs of data a month. But eh me and people like me are aparently the minority.

7. rpk717

rpk717 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would be OK if unused bandwidth would carry over so if I paid for so many gigs a month and didn't used it all it would carry over and be deposited in my account. That way my usage would reflect how much I pay and the carrier would be paid for everything I do. That seems fair.

8. bluedust

bluedust Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You would be happy paying $25 a month for 2GBs of data (which is nothing, jesus if that's AT&Ts real plan...) after paying $30 for unlimited?

I don't like getting boned in the ass so I hope it doesn't go to that.

9. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    as the article states, the average user uses 600-800mb per month. so i guess many of us on this forum are in the minority who use more than that

10. CrusoeCale

CrusoeCale Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I stream a lot of music and videos and use tethering a lot so if this comes to be, and the prices are unreasonable, than I guarantee come next march, I will not be renewing my contract.

11. techRob

techRob Member

Ratings:
    +1
    hmm... 1,146MB so far this month (dunno if today is included or not) - my month ends on the 23rd. This is due to Pandora I'm willing to bet - maybe a few other small things, maybe... I could see potentially paying $20-$30 for a 5-8GB cap - I don't like the idea...but since this month I haven't used my Wireless internet with my phone (3g only), i think mine will definitely drop. As for the tethering debate, that would be a situation of "only if i need my interwebz" - for me :)

12. grinchy

grinchy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Don't know about you...but when I signed a 2yr contract with verizon it was to include unlimited data package...now if they want to all of the sudden piss backwards and not honor what was agreed upon...what legal legs do we as exsisting users actually have?

This is similar to moving into a house/apartment and agreeing in writing to 600.00 a month for 24 months...then after a few go by they decide to renegotiate w/out listening or even considering your input...

Verizon should tread VERY easy w/customers who's accts are coming to the end of their contracts...they could and probably will lose customers over GREED!

Yes Verizon is the biggest/baddest out there...however there are also several competitors that are more than willing to welcome new customers for less $$$