Verizon likely to implement tiered data plans later this year

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Shadez, Jun 18, 2010.

1. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

as the article states, the average user uses 600-800mb per month. so i guess many of us on this forum are in the minority who use more than that
  2. CrusoeCale

CrusoeCale New Member

I stream a lot of music and videos and use tethering a lot so if this comes to be, and the prices are unreasonable, than I guarantee come next march, I will not be renewing my contract.
  3. techRob

techRob New Member

hmm... 1,146MB so far this month (dunno if today is included or not) - my month ends on the 23rd. This is due to Pandora I'm willing to bet - maybe a few other small things, maybe... I could see potentially paying $20-$30 for a 5-8GB cap - I don't like the idea...but since this month I haven't used my Wireless internet with my phone (3g only), i think mine will definitely drop. As for the tethering debate, that would be a situation of "only if i need my interwebz" - for me :)
  4. grinchy

grinchy New Member

Don't know about you...but when I signed a 2yr contract with verizon it was to include unlimited data package...now if they want to all of the sudden piss backwards and not honor what was agreed upon...what legal legs do we as exsisting users actually have?

This is similar to moving into a house/apartment and agreeing in writing to 600.00 a month for 24 months...then after a few go by they decide to renegotiate w/out listening or even considering your input...

Verizon should tread VERY easy w/customers who's accts are coming to the end of their contracts...they could and probably will lose customers over GREED!

Yes Verizon is the biggest/baddest out there...however there are also several competitors that are more than willing to welcome new customers for less $$$
  5. sos567656765

sos567656765 New Member

Hmm im currently 10 days into my billing and used ~1GBand they have been a SLOW 10 days. so if this is what verizon decides to do i guess sprint here i come!!.

Whatever happened to the good ole days of providers. i started with cellular one and LOVED there service, it was cheap, fast (for the time) and truly unlimited. I think i was paying $60 for unlimited everything. they sold out and i went to alltel... same story, loved the service and the price granted they were a little slower to adopt new phones but by the time they did they were rock solid (with the exception of the razer). Now im with big V i gotta say the coverage is the best i have ever had but the bill is ALMOST doubled what i was used to. so like i said if needed i will jump to sprint but i really dont want it to come to that.
  6. zMd113

zMd113 New Member

I've almost used 1 GB since last Tuesday, Verison better honor their side of this 2 year contract or I'll pay my way out and go elsewhere. They can nickle and dime anyone they want but they'll honor our contract or they will lose customers left and right. And they better not slow down the speed at which I surf the web either.
    Bull crap...
  7. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member

i think you all making a bigger deal then it should be they would have to legally stay with the contract that you signed if not they breeched it and you would be free to go

also what happened to using wifi im sure alot of you have it why not use wifi when your home

its faster for one (i assume)
    it may drain your battery a little more but your at home use your charger
    and it would cut down your data usage by alot i assume
  8. zMd113

zMd113 New Member

Well I live in the sticks so I have no WiFi, that's the main reason I wanted a smartphone.
  9. ntrddragn

ntrddragn New Member

There is really no real rationale for the tier data plan for the amount of usage. For example, we all pay the same price for our high speed internet connection right? So I am assuming that there are people who just download tons of stuff on their computer "hogging bandwidth" and then there are those that just check their emails. So the next step is to regulate that also? I know that high speed internet have tiers on "Speed" whether is just normal high speed to T1 connection to business class. I understand that. I want more speed so i will pay more for the right to 'hog' data line. But to say I have to pay more base on usage but the same 'speed' as everyone else is nonsense. its like say you have unlimited mobile to mobile minutes but some 'few' people are just yapping away burning those mins up while others use 10 mins/month. its unfair to the person who only use 10 mins,no? There are to many 'poor is me its unfair that i have to pay so much when i dont use it' mentality. AT&T states that 95% of their users are using less then 200 MB a month. ONLY 5% of their users are over that. Im sure the break down of that 5% consist of 1-2% thats is using Gigs of data. This is telling me that its not the users that are putting a 'strain' on their system since 1-2% are burning data up, its AT&T lack of infrastructure or an excuse they use to just cover their butts and bullied their customers around. Companies are in business to make money as most effective as they can. They are not doing the tier to help out the people who are using less. They are doing the tier to attract people who are using less to say hey not a bad idea. I should switch and save $5-$10. AT&T will make more on the 2 yrs contract of those new sign up. thats my .02 cents. Have a good weekend. :D
  10. beneharris

beneharris New Member

yeah but we are paying for an "unlimited" plan. using a lot of bandwidth is not a problem. its geting what you are paying for.
  11. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member

i bet that 95% is "dumb phones" that cant really use the internet i would imagine if they did a poll on people with just smartphones it would be at least 35% use more than 200mb thats just barley more than downloading a quarter of a movie
  12. rustynail09

rustynail09 New Member

With my Monthly about to reset today, I had used 1.048GB (yes, I use netcounter), that includes downloading 2 froyo's.. which is up 2-300 MB from my "average" usage. I listen to Pandora for 1/2 hr - 45 minutes/day, use Foursquare quite often, am on facebook/twitter all the time, and browse the internet 1-2 hrs+/day at work. Not to mention my IM programs.

I still do not understand how people rack up 4+ gig a month when I have yet to use 3 gig in the 4+ months I have been running Netcounter!

Again, I do understand the whole "if I have it, might as well use it" mentality, but to me it seems this is the mentality that is leading to the restructuring of the data plans. Similar to the guy that thought it was a great idea to use tether on their Xbox/Ps3... yes, it was cool, but when you rack up that large load of data, Verizon will catch on and stuff (Like we see now) will happen. TBH, Anyone who has rooted, anyone who has flashed 2.2 to their unrooted Droid, All can have their contracts terminated at any moment due to tampering with their phone that voids the signed contract! They can come back saying that it allows "excessive data" or "illegal tethering" even for a non-rooted droid.

So I thinks we should count our blessings while we have it and they haven't attempted to start coming after us for modifying the phones as we see fit!
  13. vedwed

vedwed New Member

Well, if it gets overly expensive, back to Sprints simply everything and crappy customer service for me, for 69.99 a month, I had all the data I wanted, hell I dont use over 400 minutes a month, so I didnt need the 99.99 a month unlimited talk. But I was tired of their crappy customer service and lack of device selection, so I made the switch.
  14. solution

solution New Member

I seriously dont' think it will be as bad as people are thinking it going to be. Plans tiered by data usage sounds like a huge leap backwards to me. They should take a look at what cable companies do to differentiate their data packages. For instance with my local cable company I can either get their normal cable internet for the standard amount or upgrade to the "Turbo" service for X amount of dollars more per month, that will grant me an even faster speeds.

They should do that. They should say something like you can stay with the ulimited 3G for 30 bucks a month, or upgrade to the new hotness that is 4G for X amount of dollars more.
  15. jrodizkool01

jrodizkool01 New Member

Tampering with your phone or rooting it don't void your contract. Only your manufacturer's warranty is voided.
  16. tsnstuff

tsnstuff New Member

I honestly don't know what some of you are doing on your phones. I guess for some of you the phone is used as your main modem, that's understandable, but even then you must be using it quite a bit.

I usually think I use my phones internet quite a bit, I stream music every now and then from pandora or rhapsody, I like to check the occasional youtube video, it's the only place where I check my emails anymore. But even with all that my billing period ends tomorrow and this morning I've used 1.7 Gigs. And that's because of all the froyo roms I downloaded. I never connect my droid to my home network either, not so much to save battery, I just always forget to.

Now I do have a mi-fi, but normally that doesn't go over 1 gig either. I got it before i got my droid, plan was to keep using my Iphone without AT&T and just get the net from the mi-fi. Technically I could just cancel the thing now but I kinda like having the little guy.

In my house however I guess I'd hate to see how much I use, downloading 1080P movies and 720P tv shows all the time will add up.

I wouldn't mind if Verizon goes the AT&T way in pricing. If they gave me a $20 plan for 3 Gigs a month I'd be happy with that. But only if they didn't charge for each MB extra that I use, the way AT&T is doing it.

The thing that AT&T is doing that I think is bull is tethering. They charge you extra $$$ for the ability to have Tethering but they don't provide any extra Gigs. If you are going to use your 2GB, who cares what device you use them on!!

So my ideal plan would be $20/month for 3 Gigs, $5 extra for every 500MB you go over. $30/Month for 5 Gigs with Tethering and the same $5 extra for every 500MB you go over.
  17. rustynail09

rustynail09 New Member

What Are Verizon Wireless' Rights to Limit or End Service or End this Agreement?
    We can, without notice, limit, suspend or end your Service or any agreement with you for any good cause, including, but not limited to: (1) if you: (a) breach this agreement; (b) resell your Service; (c) use your Service for any illegal purpose, including use that violates trade and economic sanctions and prohibitions promulgated by any U.S. governmental agency; (d) install, deploy or use any regeneration equipment or similar mechanism (for example, a repeater) to originate, amplify, enhance, retransmit or regenerate an RF signal without our permission;{This would be tethering via wifi} (e) steal from or lie to us; or, if you're a Postpay customer, (f) pay late more than once in any 12 months; (g) incur charges larger than a required deposit or billing limit, or materially in excess of your monthly access charges (even if we haven't yet billed the charges); (h) provide credit information we can't verify; or (i) are unable to pay us or go bankrupt; or (2) if you, any user of your device or any account manager on your account: (a) threaten, harass, or use vulgar and/or inappropriate language toward our representatives; (b) interfere with our operations; (c) "spam," or engage in other abusive messaging or calling; (d) modify your device from its manufacturer's specifications; or (e) use your Service in a way that negatively affects our network or other customers. We can also temporarily limit your Service for any operational or governmental reason.

Just a few areas that Rooting your phone Technically voids your verizon contract.... so yes, it does!
  18. gothicfreek

gothicfreek New Member

you also gotta remember that it is now illegal for companies to throttle bandwidth no matter what the cause. if you look it up on the internet they are not allowed to throttle bandwidth so really its a good idea in theory but unfortunately it would not work. :motdroidhoriz:
  19. lumpysherman

lumpysherman New Member

I regularly go to 4-5gb a month on my droid. I listen to online radio services at work and now with sirius/xm app and mlb it just keeps going up.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  20. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Yea... I hate it when things get promulgated... lol

But this could be a good thing, as others said.. I know the $30 data plan was a shock to me when I got the droid, so maybe now we will have some cheaper options..