Verizon Killing Unlimited Data

Discussion in 'Droid Forums Member News Depot' started by UrbanBounca, Jan 27, 2011.

1. MoeDaddy

MoeDaddy Member

8kbps = 1KBs so a 96kbps stream will consume 12KB/s and you'll use up 43.2MB per hour of streaming x82 hours = 3.5GB...
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  2. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

Unlimited anything is not sustainable in the long run.
    While I can't find Verizon legal jargon that defines what their "unlimited data" can be used for (how about running a small data center from your Verizon phone? :) , AT&T's superior attorneys have defined it:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...tended Purposes Of The Wireless Data Service?

I'd say many AT&T customers who currently use more than 2GB/month are in violation of AT&T's terms. Rather than lose customers, they plan to make those who use more pay more.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with the strategy; just trying to analyze it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  3. Katnipthief

Katnipthief New Member

Internet is always measured in bits, some programs may break it down for the simple minded folk. So 3.5GB would really be 28 gb/s. His math is correct.

GB is gigabyte
    gb is gigabit.

You don't see gigabyte routers do you, no- they are gigabit routers.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App
  4. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

82 hours @ 92 kbps is 3.xxx GB

92 kbps = 12 Kbps,
    X 60 secs, x 60 mins, x 82 hours, divide your kpbs by 8 to get Kbps, divide THAT result by 1024 to get MB, and another 1024 to get GB.

I think you just read your data usage incorrectly.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G
  5. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

Regardless of this truth, the conversation topic is being measured in the media storage standard of gigabytes :D

6. iNfAMOUS702

iNfAMOUS702 New Member

Android users arguing with eachother...smh..i blame apple for this haha

7. iNfAMOUS702

iNfAMOUS702 New Member

I have comcast internet at home and free public wifi at work so I'm always on wifi and not 3G

8. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

I have wifi at home as well and i try to connect to wifi wherever i go as much as possible, and i still have managed to use 1.8 GB on 3G with a week left in my billing period.

9. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

I'd just install "3G Watchdog" or "PhoneUsage" to get the exact amount of 3G data I use.

10. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

MyVerizon works for me...the market version displays usage in Kb, Mb and Gb for ya

11. RockXP

RockXP New Member

Just curious...If VZW is doing away with unlimited data for 3G, what would be there pricing tier be.
  12. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

It hasn't happened yet, and anyone who would answer this would only be guessing.
  13. Fuzzball

Fuzzball New Member

This is what I get for posting late at night. I should have prefaced it as it would be easy to do if VZW is measuring usage in bits and not Bytes. If the usage measurement is in gigabits (gb), then yes it's easy. If the usage measurement is in Gigabytes (GB), then I agree 27GB of usage would be hard to achieve unless they're streaming high quality/HD videos all the time or doing something that is against the TOS. IIRC, there was someone on this board that used a little over 1GB in a day by streaming videos on his new Droid all day long at work; I can try to find the post if necessary.

When it comes to VZW and math, it has already been established that they and I expect they couldn't convert bits and bytes.

So my point is it's pretty easy if they're measuring in bits and it's doable within the TOS (last version I looked at) if they're measuring in bytes, albeit with 8+ hours a day streaming higher quality videos. Last nights post was under the assumption of getting screwed and being measured in bits, which I should have noted in the post. ;)
  14. rebaf

rebaf New Member

15. warren

warren New Member

Good article, but the author makes some specious arguments.

Fact is that the cellular telephone industry is having to deal with an exponentially expanding customer base with limited available bandwidth.

Add in the streaming video crowd and now the "top 5%" start lagging an already taxed network.

Like it or not, the bottom line is that Verizon, AT&T, etc. are in business to make money for their shareholders, not give away potential revenue streams. And by limiting the bandwidth with tiered plans, they take some of the "streamers" out of the equation and the network performance for the rest of us improves. Pretty elegant solution, actually.

JMHO
  16. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Not to mention, the energy industry is apples to oranges. It's literally can be a life and death issue (or at least cost a factory millions in lost production) to deny service or "brownout". But mainly there's no such thing as unlimited energy for a flat price - you pay for what you consume.

And the $3 wireless providers pay for user, I think to the hardline carriers, is also misleading. They spend BILLIONS on wireless infrastructure investment and maintenance that takes years to recover and generate an ROI.
Search tags for this page
hotspot app for my straighttalkphone

how to turn your samsung galaxy s3 into a wifi hotspot from straight talk

straight talk phone wifi hotspot app