Verizon Just Rolled Out LTE Advanced Nationwide! Are You Seeing The Speed Increase?

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Verizon has just officially started the roll out of LTE Advanced nationwide. According to Verizon the new tech means you will experience up to 50% faster peak speeds on wireless data. The roll out will cover more than 288 million customers, and will reach 461 cities. This update brings faster overall speeds with no extra cost to consumers. On the surface it just seems like a buffer to hold us over until 5G arrives, but this is actually pretty incredible stuff!

Verizon customers normally see speeds between 5 and 12Mbps. The new technology uses carrier aggregation which means it combines two or three bandwidth channels into one channel for increased speeds. Verizon has seen speeds on Advanced LTE as high as 225Mbps on two channels and 300Mbps on three channels. Those speeds are not to be expected as they are more of a lab test scenario, but this upgrade will make Verizon the fastest 4G LTE network in America! While the upgrade has rolled out to 461 cities my city is not on the map. Hopefully they will continue to add cities in stages. Check to see if your city has been upgraded at the link below. Compatible phones include Note 7, Galaxy S7, iPhone 6s, Moto Z Droid, Moto Z Force Droid, iPhone 6s Plus, Galaxy S7 Edge, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone SE, and the HTC 10.

Is anyone seeing a significant speed increase? Please post screen shots of your speed test results! I would like to see who is getting the fastest download speeds. Also is this affecting your upload speeds.

via Verizon

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I read about this yesterday. Nope, not for me...yet. No different than before. Pinging a server in Nashville.

uploadfromtaptalk1472612010987.png

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
No love here in Annapolis MD. Even though we're smack dab in the middle between Baltimore and DC. And not showing up on their list, even though "lesser sized" towns are listed.

7.61 down, 1.10 up. Samsung Galaxy S6, which shows as a compatible device on their site.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Will any phones released more than a few months ago be compatible, or is this just another way for Verizon to entice me to spend my money? (Sorry, I can afford to buy a Note7 but not justify nearly a grand for one.)

Or is it actually hardware dependent?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Will any phones released more than a few months ago be compatible, or is this just another way for Verizon to entice me to spend my money? (Sorry, I can afford to buy a Note7 but not justify nearly a grand for one.)

The Verizon website lists a lot of phones as compatible.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

It's AWS, which they have been rolling out for a couple of years now. Cleveland has it already on like 3 towers. One being near the airport.

If your phone is new in the past couple years, the chipset can do aws.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The Verizon website lists a lot of phones as compatible.

I went to the site. All I see is a "You can buy these phones" kind of thing. I wish they would just list them out. Why does everything have to be so difficult in life?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Did a couple speed tests this past weekend about an hour outside Austin and was getting close to 60 down and 10 up.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Did a couple speed tests this past weekend about an hour outside Austin and was getting close to 60 down and 10 up.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
Soo San Antonio?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Gotcha. I've done the Austin to SA a couple of times.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I went to the site. All I see is a "You can buy these phones" kind of thing. I wish they would just list them out. Why does everything have to be so difficult in life?

True, when you click the "Is My Phone Eligible..." link it takes you to the "Buy a new phone" page, with the "LTE Advanced" filter already selected for you. They could have made it simpler by just listing the phones. But Verizon wants you to buy a new phone; it's what they do. Basically it looks like there are around 25 devices capable of this new LTE Advanced (if we ever really see these new speeds...:)):

iPhone SE
iPhone 6 & 6 Plus
iPhone 6S & 6S Plus
Galaxy Note 7
Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge
Moto Z Droid & Z Droid Force
Droid Turbo 2
Droid Maxx 2
HTC 10
LG G5
LG V10
Galaxy Note 5