Verizon IS Throttling!?

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Verizon quietly begins throttling data as iPhone launch looms

Terms & Conditions

Too lazy to follow some links? Basically *from what I understand* if you signed up for data on Verizon AFTER Feb. 3rd, you are in the Throttling Program!

Don't know if that means if you get a new phone after the 3rd you're enrolled too, but that would suck.

This is just an FYI by the way, but if you have some info to contribute, by all means...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
interesting...

regulating caching is a good idea, probably wouldn't even have noticed the difference if it was mentioned. Besides it only affects 5% of their customers. As a user who only averages about 2GB a month i don't think I'd fall into that category and I use my phone alot compared to the many people i know.

I know there are some real heavy users here, but from what I can tell there aren't too many of us that hit that mythical 5gb cap

Thanks for the heads up though! this was new to me

kptphalkon

Reaction score
The very first month i got my smartphone i had racked up 3.5 GB of use, and this is in an area where i see speeds between 35-60 Kb/s.

In my old area (which i am moving back to in a few months) the network speed is a healthy 150/s average, and it is a more heavily populated area with the same typical signal strength. What gives :/

piquat

Reaction score
Here's what I don't understand.

I read the occasional thread about getting a Netflix app or some other such service that will stream video/audio. I read countless threads about the thirst for 4g.

Those things just look like a quicker way to get throttled. In the case of Netflix I'd have the opportunity to pay for my throttling. Isn't that nice?

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Well 32GB being my record, well, I'm probably in the top 5 users (not percent) so I mean if you're one of the other four, heads up!

You can probably go over 5GB since it's the top 5% of users, I'm sure plenty of Verizon's millions of users regularly hit 30, even 40GB/month.

And just a side note, data "hogs" like me have little if any effect on the overall network speed, even if I was constantly streaming data 24/7 you wouldn't notice anything, I represent ONE phone on a network of millions, even 100 people can't do anything. And now that the iPhone is out, I still see no difference in speed, it seems Verizon has unlimited capacity. lol if only.

cnmsales

Reaction score
Looks like my average is about 4 gb per month. And that doesnt include video streaming. Now that playon supports the android w flash this is only going to go up. Man I hope they dont go to a tiered plan cause it will KILL me.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
And just a side note, data "hogs" like me have little if any effect on the overall network speed, even if I was constantly streaming data 24/7 you wouldn't notice anything, I represent ONE phone on a network of millions, even 100 people can't do anything.
One data hog doesn't. 5% of data users is far more than 100 users though and there's no way you can conclusively state that they do not have any impact.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Looks like my average is about 4 gb per month. And that doesnt include video streaming. Now that playon supports the android w flash this is only going to go up. Man I hope they dont go to a tiered plan cause it will KILL me.

You're grandfathered into Unlimited Data, even if it was capped, you're fine.

Is there any evidence that the network IS overloaded?

iPwns did nothing......... Still get 1.4-2.0 Mbps down.

Of course it could have gone to hell in New York or Vegas, etc.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, if they sold 1M VZW IPhones, that would be about 5% more users. But keep in mind the average user uses less than 500megs a month. I'd love to see that stats, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the top 5% are 35% (or more) of total data use. I'm sure the top 5% are easily over 5gigs, which is more than 10X the average user.

Still, 5% is 5% so if they were at capacity in some markets you'd expect that to push us past the tipping point. Like I said though, VZW has only said they MAY throttle/cap in the future. And I think the reality is if the smartphone base increases 50-100% this year, and proportionately for the heavy user base as well, then VZW might have a real problem which is why they've reserved the right to throttle.

Last edited:
OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Yeah I read a couple of articles saying Verizon throttling is highly unlikely, and would, in layman's terms, really piss off us Verizon users.

But they'll do what they have to in oder to maintain "America's largest and most reliable 3G network" status I suppose.

My opinion is that $30/month for unlimited 1-2Mbps internet is a very fair price, Bellsouth/AT&T DSL is a little more expensive for the same (slightly slower actually) speed. I also think that if you are going to provide internet, the least you can do is maintain it for the thousands of new users as well as the loyal old customers, especially since ISPs like Comcast and Bellsouth do it. Given they're land-based, Verizon makes enough money...

mikepd

Reaction score
The majority of subscribers are fine until their contracts are up for renewal then they will come under the new terms. If you change anything before the current contract ends then you may be liable for the new terms sooner so it would be best to check with a CSR to make sure before you do anything like add an extra line or another phone to an exisiting line.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Your contract can expire and you'd be fine, you can't sign up for Unlimited Data and Verizon just change it whenever they want, regardless of contract. So if you have unlimited now, you'll definitely have it until your line switches to a Mi-Fi, dumbphone, anything that DOESNT use Unlimited Data, then you lose the feature and can't get it back.