Verizon is shipping me a new phone...

BostonDroid

Reaction score
The battery cover on this one sucked so they are shipping me a new one... what are the chances that is it refurbished? Verizon rep at the store said that the chances are very slim that it is refurbished since the phone has only been out for about a month or so... now I am nervous that I am gonna get a crappier phone?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The battery cover on this one sucked so they are shipping me a new one... what are the chances that is it refurbished? Verizon rep at the store said that the chances are very slim that it is refurbished since the phone has only been out for about a month or so... now I am nervous that I am gonna get a crappier phone?

Anything is possible so it may be a refurb. In my experience the refurbs have been generally good. Why didn't you just get the updated battery door from Motorola?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
You could have just went to Moto's site and went to their contact page. You can call, email or live chat and get a new battery cover free

metalmenance

Reaction score
after the first 30 days they are not obligated to send new and alot of people including myself returned our 1st one within 2 weeks, i will be willing to bet you will get refurb unit, watch and see, if they have any refurbs they send them out first until there gone and last i seen somewhere online they had 100,000 or so untis returned and redone. they still warraty it but i think no way do i want someone elses unit after i paid for a brand new so recently

J-Buck

Reaction score
stupid question... how will I know if it's refurbished?

Most likely u wont... Sometimes theres no indication that its a refurb at all. My last referb i could tell tho cuz it had scratches and it said refurbished lol, but the one before was clearly a referb and didn't indicate it. this is for a voyager btw

bigthinker

Reaction score
Whatever the case, they will make it right...I have been with them for 10 years and have given me nothing but what I expected....

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do what CK said - go to the Moto site and get one for free. When the one arrives, call VZW and say that you are returning it using the return address label in the box. Then you can keep your present one and just use the back you got for free from Motorola.

bbtkd

Reaction score
after the first 30 days they are not obligated to send new and alot of people including myself returned our 1st one within 2 weeks, i will be willing to bet you will get refurb unit, watch and see, if they have any refurbs they send them out first until there gone and last i seen somewhere online they had 100,000 or so untis returned and redone. they still warraty it but i think no way do i want someone elses unit after i paid for a brand new so recently

I've always wondered what percentage of returned and refurbished electronic equipment is found to have a real problem and repaired in the refurbishment process. I suspect a significant number of errors for which this phone is returned for are caused by a combination of Android or Motorola bugs, Verizon network problems, application conflicts, or inexperienced/confused users. In all of those cases it would probably pass testing, get a new case, and be shipped back out functionally unchanged. It would be interesting to know what percentage are found to have a problem that is fixed - but I'm betting it is under 25%. Probably a significantly smaller number - maybe 5% - have a real problem that evades testing and leads to another return. Hopefully they would 'retire' a phone returned twice.

J-Buck

Reaction score
stupid question... how will I know if it's refurbished?

I've always wondered what percentage of returned and refurbished electronic equipment is found to have a real problem and repaired in the refurbishment process. I suspect a significant number of errors for which this phone is returned for are caused by a combination of Android or Motorola bugs, Verizon network problems, application conflicts, or inexperienced/confused users. In all of those cases it would probably pass testing, get a new case, and be shipped back out functionally unchanged. It would be interesting to know what percentage are found to have a problem that is fixed - but I'm betting it is under 25%. Probably a significantly smaller number - maybe 5% - have a real problem that evades testing and leads to another return. Hopefully they would 'retire' a phone returned twice.

i don't think they would retire it cuz there's so many parts they could just use again

R

racklefratz

The battery cover on this one sucked so they are shipping me a new one... what are the chances that is it refurbished?

Nobody here knows. Just roll with the punches and deal with the issue. Asking a question like that here is just wasted bandwidth.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A good many of these Certified Like New (or sometimes referred to as FRU) come back because someone who had no idea how to use their new phone, for example a Razr user gets a Droid and is completely lost and just wants their T9 to text, returns the phone in the first 30 days. Well, they turned in a perfectly good phone but it cannot be re-sold as new, so it then becomes yours. I forget what they told us at my old VZW Call Center but the percentage of this happening is very high.

cookiemomster

Reaction score
You could have just went to Moto's site and went to their contact page. You can call, email or live chat and get a new battery cover free

I agree. It is much better to get a replacement battery cover rather than risk getting someone else's problem phone. It takes about a week to receive from what I hear.

Jaylor

Reaction score
Ugh, I'm having the same problem with my phone! My cover came off in my pocket twice in an hour!!

I've had this phone for less then a week!
This is a total defect and I just emailed Motorola about it trying to get a replacement.

They really need to either send out a recall notice or send out an announcement to everyone with a droid and offer replacements.

If they don't fix the door issue I'm afraid the phone is going back. (Which would suck 'cause I'm already in love with it)

miltk

Reaction score
Refurb is the way to go!!!!!

They train monkeys to put together a unit on an assembly line, but a factory refurb requires trained technicians to go over the phone and replace bad parts