Verizon is Ruining the Value of Edge Effective May 31st

R

RETG

At the 50% point, pay off the phone then take it and sell it on swappa. You'll make out better than sticking with the edge plan to the end of the term. You'd basically be financing your own edge program.

Something else to remember about the Edge plan is the discount you get for data.

I know on a 2-year contract, you can cancel at any time and just pay the ETF to verizon. You are then free of the contract and to leave and find another carrier. Can you do this on the Edge plan too? Even with the new changes?

Not that I plan on coming back to Verizon and leaving again, this is very unlikely. But I guess if AT&T suddenly gets a bug to really offer good service in the western states, then who knows.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
My understanding of paying off a 2yr contract is that you would lose your phone number for a time. With Edge, you absolutely can pay off your device at any time, but there really is no incentive to do so, since it is interest free (other than wanting a new phone, of course)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

R

RETG

Thanks.
Good Point. The one time, years ago I paid the ETF, I was in a new area, and wanted a new phone number anyway. So, with Edge, you can, let's use one -year for an example, pay off the one-year remaining on the phone price and move to another carrier with the same number?

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Would others l scroll up and ook at the original post of the one I quoted here from their phones and tell me if the Blue text doesn't look like it's 3D and sitting maybe an 1/8" BEHIND the rest of the text? In fact on my Turbo all three colors appear at different depths. Green looks like it's flat on the screen and Red looks like it's floating in front!

No doubt it does on my Note4.
If I tip the phone (with the top further away from my eyes than the bottom) all three appear to be at different levels. And especially in comparison to the white text just below the 3 colored sections. It looks as though the colored text would scroll under the white.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
My understanding of paying off a 2yr contract is that you would lose your phone number for a time.

I'm not sure that's right. I thought since the government stepped in and told the carriers that we must be allowed to move our numbers around that your number cannot be taken from you by a carrier.

You pay the early term fee to get out of your contract. That doesn't even end your service unless you cancel that, as well. You can even turn around and sign a new contract and get the subsidy.
No?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I honestly am not sure, as I have not kept up on that since the majority of what I sell is financed. I'll ask my Verizon Rep for clarification

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
No doubt it does on my Note4.
If I tip the phone (with the top further away from my eyes than the bottom) all three appear to be at different levels. And especially in comparison to the white text just below the 3 colored sections. It looks as though the colored text would scroll under the white.
Isn't that a FREAKY optical illusion? The fact is that the three light sources (and the composite fourth which is white), are at different wavelengths and so they reflect, defract and converge to hit the retina at different times so the brain interprets it as a distance rather than timing. I thought perhaps I was seeing things. Thank you SOOO much for verifiying that for me.

And there it is:

Chromostereopsis - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Chromostereopsis is a visual illusion whereby the impression of depth is conveyed in two-dimensional color images, usually of red-blue or red-green colors, but can also be perceived with red-grey or blue-grey images.[1][2] Such illusions have been reported for over a century and have generally been attributed to some form of chromatic aberration.[3][4][5][6][7]

Chromatic aberration results from the differential refraction of light depending on its wavelength, causing some light rays to converge before others in the eye (longitudinal chromatic aberration or LCA) and/or to be located on non-corresponding locations of the two eyes during binocular viewing (transverse chromatic aberration or TCA).

Chhromostereopsis is usually observed using a target with red and blue bars and an achromatic background. Positive chromostereopsis is exhibited when the red bars are perceived in front of the blue and negative chromostereopsis is exhibited when the red bars are perceived behind the blue.[8] Several models have been proposed to explain this effect which is often attributed to longitudinal and/or transverse chromatic aberrations.[6] However, recent work attributes most of the stereoptic effect to transverse chromatic aberrations in combination with cortical factors.[1][5][7]

It has been proposed that chromostereopsis could have evolutionary implications in the development of eyespots in certain butterfly species. Additionally, some stained-glass artists were probably very aware of this effect, using it to generate protruding or receding, sometimes referred to as "warm" and "cold", color images.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm not sure that's right. I thought since the government stepped in and told the carriers that we must be allowed to move our numbers around that your number cannot be taken from you by a carrier.

You pay the early term fee to get out of your contract. That doesn't even end your service unless you cancel that, as well. You can even turn around and sign a new contract and get the subsidy.
No?

It is true that as long as you terminate the contract in good standing, you can transport your phone number to any valid carrier of your choice. The cinch in the rope is early termination fees, outstanding balances and any fines or penalties thereof. If the carrier isn't made whole they are not obligated in my understanding, to allow the number to move as it's viewed as Tangible Property with value not yet reciprocated.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did Verizon ruin the Edge plan as it was originally designed? Yes. Was the Edge plan too good in the beginning? Yes. Is the Edge plan still a decent way to go? Yes.

Pay $30 for a phone then get a $25 credit each month. The result: pay $5 a month for a Note 4. I can live with that!

R

RETG

I called Verizon and talked with a rep acting like I had an AT&T account and was going to break it, pay the ETF to AT&T and wanted to know if I jumped to Verizon could I keep the same number. She told me yes, but do NOT cancel, until the day I get the new phone from Verizon to keep the number active. Then she said there is a specific process to follow and my account at AT&T has to be up to date. That was just a hypothetical since I purchased my G3 and never signed a contract with AT&T. But it tends to show it can be done.
She did stress not to cancel AT&T until I was ready to port the number to Verizon.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Porting a number to a different carrier is different than calling to pay off your remaining contract term