Verizon is Raising Prices on Grandfathered Unlimited Plans by $20

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,685
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    They are trying nalgon.... slowly. For example, this time raising the price 20 bucks. The point is, with so few people left with UD, it's really not a huge concern for Verizon. It in no way impacts them negatively with that few people left with UDP's. But this price hike is one more way to get rid of a few thousand more people who were currently "on the fence" if you will.

• Like Like x 1
  2. loki993

loki993 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Its not like you stop paying once your out of contract. If you go off contract and stay what does that say about that person? Maybe they actually like the service and don't need to be forced to stay. Nobody cares about loyalty in business anymore though. Im sure Im in the minority that I actually like Verizon and stay because I like it not just because I have unlimited.

3. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Silver Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Your argument is way off.

Do you tether? Or do you think that the majority of the people here with UDP tether?

I think that most do. And that right there is a difference.

If you were on a 20GB plan, I would say you were right. You are paying for 20GB, and you should be able to consume that 20GB any way you like... with your phone, or your iPad or laptop through tethering... And you know what? VZW agrees with that.

However, when you are on UDP, there are guidelines and stipulations in the contract. One of them is that you cannot tether unless you pay for it. Which I am pretty sure that you, along with most of the UDP folks here, don't. It's like going to a restaurant and you buying a nice ribeye... You can eat it any way you want, or share it with your wife or friend, etc... Nobody cares because you bought a ribeye and the ribeye was consumed.

However, when it is all you can eat, there tend to be stipulations. You cannot have 5 of you show up, pay for one ticket, and all of you sit there and eat unlimited for the price of one person.

And if they let you because you have some loophole or an app that lets you get around their policy(the terms of service) that lets you sneak food to the others, and they finally decide to crack down on it and either kick you out, or charge you for the others, then you really have no right to whine about it. I mean, it's a free country, you can whine about anything you want, but you aren't being intellectually honest when you do it.

Listen to the obvious point I am making and the spirit of their TOS, rather than just picking apart my words and looking for some bit of semantics to exploit in an effort to win an internet debate... So don't waste our time with trying to argue how the all you can eat buffet analogy is wrong because in your case you are the one doing all the eating... Don't. It holds up because the reality is that like bringing friends to the buffet, when you are consuming on your phone, you typically won't consume as much as when you are also using your laptop, your iPad, maybe the wife or kid's tablet, etc... The law of averages says that with more devices consuming data, more data is likely to be consumed. Just because *you* might not, is irrelevant. This isn't about YOU. VZW is not enacting pricing or policy changes for YOU. We both know that on average, people on UDP and tethering are doing so to soak up a lot of data in violation of the TOS. If they weren't, then they wouldn't care much about UDP and just be on a tiered plan, in most cases...

They sold UDP many years ago when the average cell phone might consume a couple GB a month. And we both know that a lot of people here abused that with tethering hacks. Hell, every time a new OTA is announced, the first question typically asked is if it is rooted and if FoxFi or other tethering apps work, and we both know it. And the reason is people that are in UPD and tethering in violation of VZW's TOS, want to continue to abuse the system. If they were not on UDP and "illegally" tethering, it wouldn't be an issue because VZW lets tiered plans tether all day long no problem...

I don't see a problem with them increasing the price on UDP. I pay more for my cell phone bill than I did several years ago, so why shouldn't you?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,020
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    We get it. You don't like anyone on UDP. /argument

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Silver Member

Ratings:
    +280
    If that is what you got out of that last post, then I am arguing with a 4 year old who will never get it.

Were the words too big?

Seriously, it has nothing to do with liking UDP. It has to do with people that in most cases are abusing something and violating the very "contracts" that they want to hold VZW to, complaining when VZW calls them on it...

6. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,020
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    You've been pissing into the wind since this thread started.

Trying to insult my intelligence will get you no where.

• Like Like x 6
  7. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +952
    Now now boys, be nice :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Silver Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I felt that your post kinda did that for me. I just pointed it out.

You obviously didn't read what I posted, you skimmed it, decided you didn't "like" it and responded in a crappy way.

I was polite, and laid out my entire argument in a logical manner...

9. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,020
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    I read it, and the 2 pages before. I didn't feel the need to articulate an actual response other than arguing about UDP and who does what on it isn't the purpose of this thread. Yet it's still the focal point for some reason.

10. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +952
    I remember when I first got unlimited data. I believe I had the BlackBerry Tour. A lovely 3G that I averaged maybe . 01gb with lol. Even with my Droid Incredible or Droid X2 I still used very little data. Once I went to LTE with the Razr Maxx, the tables turned. But the highest I ever used when I had my unlimited was 2gb because I had, and was used to, using wifi. Now that I've got 11gb I'll use maybe 6 when not on wifi.
    My point is, unlimited was designed in a time when data was not being used much because smartphones didn't have a whole lot going on yet. As the connections changed, the plans changed and unlimited was taken away. EVERY ONE knows that this day would come when Big Red would charge you more to keep it. If having unlimited is THAT important to you, then you're going to be willing to pay for it. Plain and simple. The comment previously about paying 2008 prices is right on, in my professional opinion. As is the comment of being out of contract and therefore being subject to price changes.
    People will say 'they can't just change my plan on me', but it's not your plan they are changing. Data is a feature. If you don't like it, you're more than welcome to leave Verizon :)
    That being said, I do see the
    point of those who still have unlimited. Verizon has been wishy-washy for years with these people so it is understandable to be upset.
    I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T follows suit shortly.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  11. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Silver Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Because it is likely the reason *why* Verizon is making changes, that's why.

12. Raverrevolution

Ratings:
    +29
    How can you side with Verizon on this when it's clear as day that all they want to do is fill their pockets even deeper?

Back in the day when we didn't have smartphones VZW would take advantage of charging people per text and minutes.

The point I'm trying to make is that no matter the argument VZW is not your friend. They do not care about you. All they care about is making as much money as possible sucking you dry. Moves like this just fuel their greed.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
droid forums verizon unlimited data
grandfathered verizon unlimited mifi price increase
should i keep verizon unlimited data plan
verizon raising price unlimited data forum
verizon unlimited data increase lawsuit

verizon unlimited data price increase lawsuit

verizon unlimited lawsuit