Verizon is Raising Prices on Grandfathered Unlimited Plans by $20

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
why is it every single time there's a post regarding vzw's UDP you come in telling people how lucky they are and that they're just upset because they tether and abuse the network and blah blah blah... it's the same story every single time with you.

I'm not paying 2008 prices bro, I'm paying 2012 prices from the LAST TIME I upgraded my phone so stop telling me I'm lucky to still be paying prices for 3 years...

honestly it sounds to me like you're just upset because you got rid of unlimited data and misery loves company.

oh and FYI I tethered last month when I was moving because I didn't have internet for a few weeks and guess what, between netflix youtube and SWTOR I used a grand total of 23 whole gigs... and that's watching netflix almost every night. that's the first time I've tethered since 2013 aside from just testing it out if it was working or an internet outage while I'm in the middle of a raid.

Why is it that most people agree with me?

Once your contract ended, you go month to month. They owe you nothing. You are entitled to nothing. That you get it, is a bonus, subject to the whims of VZW.

I point this out every time I see the righteous indignation and mock outrage any time VZW talks about getting rid of UDP. The people whining the most are typically the ones abusing the plans, using alternate tethering methods. Why are you using FoxFi or a root method? Because you have to, because your UDP does not and never has included tethering. In fact, were you under contract, you would be in violation of it and subject to termination of service, if they wanted...

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Let's not get into another debate about what one person does with his/her data every time a thread pops up discussing UDPs.
HOW much data another person uses, isn't part of that topic. The topic is about the upcoming price increase. Let's try to stick to the topic at hand please.
Thanks guys.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
How much data is being used, is largely WHY Verizon is doing this to UDP. It's relevant, isn't it?

They see people using 30-100gb a month and beyond, on a cell phone. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that some people are clearly abusing things, using stupid amounts of data, likely by circumventing the tethering plans, etc...

Anyone who thinks that they are entitled to it, by virtue of them having gotten away with it for years, is being silly. If you paid for basic cable and found a way to mod the box to get all the pay channels, and after 3 years of paying basic cable prices, they told you that if you want to keep getting those channels that you would have to start paying for them... Don't see much of a defense there...

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score

Once your contract ended, you go month to month. They owe you nothing. You are entitled to nothing. That you get it, is a bonus, subject to the whims of VZW.

I point this out every time I see the righteous indignation and mock outrage any time VZW talks about getting rid of UDP. The people whining the most are typically the ones abusing the plans, using alternate tethering methods. Why are you using FoxFi or a root method? Because you have to, because your UDP does not and never has included tethering. In fact, were you under contract, you would be in violation of it and subject to termination of service, if they wanted...
do you have proof? irrefutable evidence that MOST people agree with you? just because you think it's true doesn't make it true.

you state your opinions as fact when they aren't

I'm not entitled to anything, however keep in mind this is a capitalist society mate, they have the right to raise their prices, and I have the right to whine ***** and moan about it until they either change it or tell me to shove it. I also have the right to leave and go somewhere else... THAT is my right. you have the right to tell me to shut up just like I can tell you to shove it. what I want to know is WHY you waste your time and energy EVERY SINGLE TIME telling EVERYONE who is complaining that they are wrong.

you also have no proof that the ones complaining the most are the ones abusing it, you feel this is true, but you don't know.

How much data is being used, is largely WHY Verizon is doing this to UDP. It's relevant, isn't it?

They see people using 30-100gb a month and beyond, on a cell phone. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that some people are clearly abusing things, using stupid amounts of data, likely by circumventing the tethering plans, etc...

Anyone who thinks that they are entitled to it, by virtue of them having gotten away with it for years, is being silly. If you paid for basic cable and found a way to mod the box to get all the pay channels, and after 3 years of paying basic cable prices, they told you that if you want to keep getting those channels that you would have to start paying for them... Don't see much of a defense there...

your argument is a red herring stealing cable television AND using your data as DATA on a phone tethered to a tablet or PC is completely different. you aren't consuming anything other than data.. unlike paid for programming.

and no VZW is NOT doing this because of the supposed data abuse, their network can easily take more than is being consumed, they are doing this because if they get everyone OFF of unlimited it will help them make more money. if only 1% of ALL subscribers are actually abusing data (you know the number is FAR FAR FAR lower than that) it's still a paltry amount of data an abuse for the effort they are taking. do the math, their reasons cannot be as benevolent as you seem to think. remember they are a corporation, not the benefit kind either.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
They are trying nalgon.... slowly. For example, this time raising the price 20 bucks. The point is, with so few people left with UD, it's really not a huge concern for Verizon. It in no way impacts them negatively with that few people left with UDP's. But this price hike is one more way to get rid of a few thousand more people who were currently "on the fence" if you will.

loki993

Reaction score

Its not like you stop paying once your out of contract. If you go off contract and stay what does that say about that person? Maybe they actually like the service and don't need to be forced to stay. Nobody cares about loyalty in business anymore though. Im sure Im in the minority that I actually like Verizon and stay because I like it not just because I have unlimited.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
do you have proof? irrefutable evidence that MOST people agree with you? just because you think it's true doesn't make it true.

you state your opinions as fact when they aren't

I'm not entitled to anything, however keep in mind this is a capitalist society mate, they have the right to raise their prices, and I have the right to whine ***** and moan about it until they either change it or tell me to shove it. I also have the right to leave and go somewhere else... THAT is my right. you have the right to tell me to shut up just like I can tell you to shove it. what I want to know is WHY you waste your time and energy EVERY SINGLE TIME telling EVERYONE who is complaining that they are wrong.

you also have no proof that the ones complaining the most are the ones abusing it, you feel this is true, but you don't know.

your argument is a red herring stealing cable television AND using your data as DATA on a phone tethered to a tablet or PC is completely different. you aren't consuming anything other than data.. unlike paid for programming.

and no VZW is NOT doing this because of the supposed data abuse, their network can easily take more than is being consumed, they are doing this because if they get everyone OFF of unlimited it will help them make more money. if only 1% of ALL subscribers are actually abusing data (you know the number is FAR FAR FAR lower than that) it's still a paltry amount of data an abuse for the effort they are taking. do the math, their reasons cannot be as benevolent as you seem to think. remember they are a corporation, not the benefit kind either.

Your argument is way off.

Do you tether? Or do you think that the majority of the people here with UDP tether?

I think that most do. And that right there is a difference.

If you were on a 20GB plan, I would say you were right. You are paying for 20GB, and you should be able to consume that 20GB any way you like... with your phone, or your iPad or laptop through tethering... And you know what? VZW agrees with that.

However, when you are on UDP, there are guidelines and stipulations in the contract. One of them is that you cannot tether unless you pay for it. Which I am pretty sure that you, along with most of the UDP folks here, don't. It's like going to a restaurant and you buying a nice ribeye... You can eat it any way you want, or share it with your wife or friend, etc... Nobody cares because you bought a ribeye and the ribeye was consumed.

However, when it is all you can eat, there tend to be stipulations. You cannot have 5 of you show up, pay for one ticket, and all of you sit there and eat unlimited for the price of one person.

And if they let you because you have some loophole or an app that lets you get around their policy(the terms of service) that lets you sneak food to the others, and they finally decide to crack down on it and either kick you out, or charge you for the others, then you really have no right to whine about it. I mean, it's a free country, you can whine about anything you want, but you aren't being intellectually honest when you do it.

Listen to the obvious point I am making and the spirit of their TOS, rather than just picking apart my words and looking for some bit of semantics to exploit in an effort to win an internet debate... So don't waste our time with trying to argue how the all you can eat buffet analogy is wrong because in your case you are the one doing all the eating... Don't. It holds up because the reality is that like bringing friends to the buffet, when you are consuming on your phone, you typically won't consume as much as when you are also using your laptop, your iPad, maybe the wife or kid's tablet, etc... The law of averages says that with more devices consuming data, more data is likely to be consumed. Just because *you* might not, is irrelevant. This isn't about YOU. VZW is not enacting pricing or policy changes for YOU. We both know that on average, people on UDP and tethering are doing so to soak up a lot of data in violation of the TOS. If they weren't, then they wouldn't care much about UDP and just be on a tiered plan, in most cases...

They sold UDP many years ago when the average cell phone might consume a couple GB a month. And we both know that a lot of people here abused that with tethering hacks. Hell, every time a new OTA is announced, the first question typically asked is if it is rooted and if FoxFi or other tethering apps work, and we both know it. And the reason is people that are in UPD and tethering in violation of VZW's TOS, want to continue to abuse the system. If they were not on UDP and "illegally" tethering, it wouldn't be an issue because VZW lets tiered plans tether all day long no problem...

I don't see a problem with them increasing the price on UDP. I pay more for my cell phone bill than I did several years ago, so why shouldn't you?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
We get it. You don't like anyone on UDP. /argument

98bdddaec1f647127324ce8a3598a240.jpg

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
We get it. You don't like anyone on UDP. /argument

98bdddaec1f647127324ce8a3598a240.jpg

If that is what you got out of that last post, then I am arguing with a 4 year old who will never get it.

Were the words too big?

Seriously, it has nothing to do with liking UDP. It has to do with people that in most cases are abusing something and violating the very "contracts" that they want to hold VZW to, complaining when VZW calls them on it...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
You've been pissing into the wind since this thread started.

Trying to insult my intelligence will get you no where.

I felt that your post kinda did that for me. I just pointed it out.

You obviously didn't read what I posted, you skimmed it, decided you didn't "like" it and responded in a crappy way.

I was polite, and laid out my entire argument in a logical manner...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I felt that your post kinda did that for me. I just pointed it out.

You obviously didn't read what I posted, you skimmed it, decided you didn't "like" it and responded in a crappy way.

I was polite, and laid out my entire argument in a logical manner...
I read it, and the 2 pages before. I didn't feel the need to articulate an actual response other than arguing about UDP and who does what on it isn't the purpose of this thread. Yet it's still the focal point for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.