Verizon is Raising Prices on Grandfathered Unlimited Plans by $20

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
$20 ($240 a year) I'm divided. On one hand if I had unlimited data I would pay the extra $20 as that is still cheaper than their other plans and you can upgrade without the fear of them trying some slick stuff to get you off unlimited.

On the other hand I understand being tired of the nickel and dime. Those looking to switch better make sure the grass is actually greener. And this is coming from some one who switched 3 years ago.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
The price increase is for the actual VZW unlimited data plans not those who have been grandfathered from AllTel Simple Choice plans or those similar.... in case that matters to any members.

Batman8

Reaction score
I've been a Verizon customer for over 25 years now, and I am REALLY sick of them constantly trying to screw over the people who are on grandfathered unlimited plans!!!!! It has been bad enough that I have had to pay retail prices ($750+) for all phones for the last few years, but it's now always something new to get rid of us when we are only 1% of their customer base. This is past RIDICULOUS, and I also look forward to a class action lawsuit or may just have to jump ship altogether. What's even worse is that my mobile service is not even all that great.

If they raise my monthly prices, then I say...F#CK Verizon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
This is one of the reasons I left VZW last October.

mfloyd

Reaction score
My three unlimited lines are good until next year thankfully. Been doing the alternate upgrade for couple years now. I can't say I'll leave Verizon because the other carriers just don't have the coverage where I'm at. When I do get charged for this I'll actually still only be paying $30 per line because of the data discount I have on those lines. That's $60 extra a month I don't really want to spend.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
What's a bit irritating is, had they done this last year, I would have signed a contract and got my $600 Turbo subsidized. That incentive is gone now that they've pretty much done away with contracts/subsidies.

I'm going to go in and complain to see what potential changes I can make to my plan if they are doing this. Mainly, can I get unlimited texts and minutes now like all the rest of their plans - if you're not going to honor the grandfathered pricing and screw me on data, how about throwing me a bone on unlimited texts and minutes? Second, will they allow me to add a watch and tablet to my plan for $10 device fees each?

Granted, my tablet (which I can still return) is wifi only, and I don't have a watch yet.

Otherwise, yeah it sucks but VZW still has far and away the best service for business travelers. The option I'm forced to consider is if it makes sense to switch to limited data, but the difference has always been a lot more than $20 for any data amounts remotely comparable/practical (for my use). On the other hand, I use a ton of data mostly because I can and can easily use wifi 90% of the time at home and work.

Another option I might do is go minimum plan for my phone, unlimited texts/minutes and 1GB of data on VZW. Then get unlimited data from TMo or Sprint for my tablet and watch.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I think this is the push I needed to go back to just a regular cell.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I just extended contracts on both of our unlimited lines for another two years.

Buy an upgrade online through best buy. Have it shipped to your house. When you receive the device, prior to turning it on switch new sim card to old. You keep old unlimited plan, get a new phone at fraction of the cost and extend contract for two more years avoiding the price increase because you are upgrading prior to old contract expiring since you can always upgrade 2 months prior to contract ending.

But even if I would let them increase my unlimited price from $10 to $30, I would still be saving thousands of dollars a month by having unlimited data.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I am a little surprised VZW is doing this. As far as I'm aware, this is the pretty much the first time they've made a significant change to a grandfathered plan (never booted anyone off, and not aware of any price increases).

It doesn't even impact their bottom line all that much....$20 on 1% of users is an average of $0.20 per customer per month, or maybe about 0.2% additional margin for wireless. But they'll lose a good chunk of unlimited users to the tune of breaking about even for every 1 in 6 customers that leaves. Which then means this is mostly about capacity, but how much can 1% of users really be using? Plus consider the people most likely to leave are the ones NOT using a ton of data and for whom alternatives make more sense.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

Buy an upgrade online through best buy. Have it shipped to your house. When you receive the device, prior to turning it on switch new sim card to old. You keep old unlimited plan, get a new phone at fraction of the cost and extend contract for two more years avoiding the price increase because you are upgrading prior to old contract expiring since you can always upgrade 2 months prior to contract ending.

But even if I would let them increase my unlimited price from $10 to $30, I would still be saving thousands of dollars a month by having unlimited data.
Spend $200 plus tax to save $240 the first year. Not really worth it IMO.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

I was wondering how you did that. But there are two problems with that:
1) I thought they had already closed that loophole
2) Being a loophole, they can always boot you off as companies have always had the right to correct billing or contractual errors even if it's their fault, at least going forward if they can't backbill you for underbilled fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.