Verizon is overcharging my minutes, I use GOOGLE VOICE!

kountryj

Reaction score
How to we determine what our Google Voice "access" number is???

When you signed up for Google Voice you were given a Google Voice number. If you don't remember that number then go to your google voice page on the internet and you will see it there.

I know what my Google Voice "phone number" is, I'm asking if there's a 2nd number we need to add to our Friends and Family list, as stated earlier in this thread. Someone mentioned a Google Voice "access number", which I can't seem to find.

When you dial out with google voice, look above the android/picture of who you're calling. It will say calling with google voice or whatever and have a phone number. That's the number you're calling out to connect with.

meannathan

Reaction score
Another way is to use fring I think I found the link to it from these forums and log into your Google voice from it. It does use VOIP and it is a free program but you can't get it from the market

FlipFlops24/7

Reaction score
When you signed up for Google Voice you were given a Google Voice number. If you don't remember that number then go to your google voice page on the internet and you will see it there.

I know what my Google Voice "phone number" is, I'm asking if there's a 2nd number we need to add to our Friends and Family list, as stated earlier in this thread. Someone mentioned a Google Voice "access number", which I can't seem to find.

When you dial out with google voice, look above the android/picture of who you're calling. It will say calling with google voice or whatever and have a phone number. That's the number you're calling out to connect with.

Thanks, that worked perfectly. The access number shows up just momentarily. I added that to my Friends & Family as well so hopefully I wont get charged extra minutes by Verizon....

Google Voice ROCKS

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The access number should also show up in your usage on the Verizon site.

J*Bishop

Reaction score
aaahhh great thread. i've been looking for some info on gv.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm pissed I don't have friends and family available to me. I am on the 700 minute family plan and my wife and I hardly go over it, but to get FnF we would have to jump up to 1400 minutes at $30 more a month WTF... BULLH****...if I am going to pay $30 more a month my wife is getting a DRIOD with data plan

-=Jason=-

cuskit

Reaction score
Okay - I'm a total noobie to GV. I understand all the above as far as paying/not paying minutes used for my VZW bill. But are there any other charges for using Google Voice? Do we pay extra per month to have it added to our account? I have downloaded it to my Droid, but have not activated it yet. Am I assuming correctly that this is actually "data" used each month? Perhaps I should search here first - apologies if this has been fully discussed in the past.. mike

texasPI

Reaction score
I'm pissed I don't have friends and family available to me. I am on the 700 minute family plan and my wife and I hardly go over it, but to get FnF we would have to jump up to 1400 minutes at $30 more a month WTF... BULLH****...if I am going to pay $30 more a month my wife is getting a DRIOD with data plan

-=Jason=-

Same deal here. Last month we used a whooping 42 minutes of the 700. The wife used the majority of it and I used something like 2 minutes checking my bank balance when my bank's website was down for "maintenance".

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay - I'm a total noobie to GV. I understand all the above as far as paying/not paying minutes used for my VZW bill. But are there any other charges for using Google Voice? Do we pay extra per month to have it added to our account? I have downloaded it to my Droid, but have not activated it yet. Am I assuming correctly that this is actually "data" used each month? Perhaps I should search here first - apologies if this has been fully discussed in the past.. mike
Mike Google Voice is FREE.
it is a replacement Voice Mail app and now SMS app. it will send you an email of your voicemail in text and have an option to download the voicemail.

using the GoogleVoice app you can play the message with out downloading it.

you are assigned or get to pick a new GV number to which you can have calls come in on in place of your Verizon wireless number and adding that number to your Verizon FnF = Free unlimited calling.

-=Jason=-

bamarammin87

Reaction score

-=Jason=-

Same deal here. Last month we used a whooping 42 minutes of the 700. The wife used the majority of it and I used something like 2 minutes checking my bank balance when my bank's website was down for "maintenance".

Same here. Never over 100 minutes per month. Id be in heaven if they offered a 300 minute plan for 20 dollars less!

cuskit

Reaction score
Mike Google Voice is FREE.
it is a replacement Voice Mail app and now SMS app. it will send you an email of your voicemail in text and have an option to download the voicemail.

using the GoogleVoice app you can play the message with out downloading it.

you are assigned or get to pick a new GV number to which you can have calls come in on in place of your Verizon wireless number and adding that number to your Verizon FnF = Free unlimited calling.

-=Jason=-
Jason,
Thanks for the reply. Time back I thought I saw something about a monthly fee for GV. Then again, I also thought I saw Elvis live on the internet last week... ;)

I have the 1400 plan - had thought about dropping down to the 700 plan but didn't because I'd lose the F&F. I have a few F&F for the first 8 numbers, and leave the last two that rotate through my current client list as I'm on the phone often with customers. So, my usual monthly totals (not counting F&F) are usually only 200 or so - but with F&F well over 2500-3000 each month! Yikes! Well worth the extra 30 bucks for my situation at least. I will say I probably use 1k a month just with family over my dad's health the last 12 months as he has spent most of his time in the hospital, and my siblings are all out of state (except for one in Jersey, but 1-1/2 hour ride away).

I still think VZW should offer unlimited to all it's customers that have a $30 data plan - just as a courtesy for our loyalty to them! :)

Meanwhile - I'll give GV a try tonight, any problems and I'll come running! Thanks again! :) mikey

EddieSFL

Reaction score
I am really new to this. Can you have google voice go directly to your cell phone and have a google number or can you only pick one?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't understand your question. You can choose to use your GV number or your VZW number (or both). GV is basically a forwarding service. There are definitely plenty of threads and online resources (including the GV site itself) with information.

There's a bit more to it than just that. Be sure to read and understand everything. Most GV threads that I've run across have had posters clarifying matters already.

Note that GV doesn't use your GV number for outbound calls. There are several options for dealing with this:
1. You can manually place all calls by dialing your GV number first
2. Modify all your contacts to dial your GV number first (and to go through the menus)
3. Add the GV access number (displayed when you place a call via GV) to F&F
4. Use an app that uses your GV number for outbound calls

For all inbound calls to be free via your GV number (with it on the F&F list) you have to set GV's caller ID to display your GV number and not the actual caller's number.