Verizon is overcharging my minutes, I use GOOGLE VOICE!

Getaphixx

Reaction score
Anyone else notice that EVERY month they are barely going over their minutes.. While using Google Voice for all their calls...

I was like 36 one month..

Then the next month 22...

And again..

This can't be correct.. I have all my numbers correctly listed on my friends and family..

Soooo, this month I get a call from Verizon.. (I'm currently on the 900minute plan)

They tell me they are noticing that I'm going over every month.. I start to complain and the guy says.. Look.. for 10$ more a month we'll give you unlimited everything..

Which is funny.. cause isn't unlimited supposed to be a little more expensive than 89$ a month for a smart phone..

Ideas? Similarities?

MotorolaDroid

Reaction score
google voice does charge your phone outside minutes, not free verizon to verizon minutes.....

even if i called my parents who are on verizon from MY verizon phone, but while USING google voice, i would be charged all the minutes as OUTSIDE minutes not free V to V minutes....

so i can see how you are going over your minutes.... not sure if im understanding?

romanrish

Reaction score
You can get free minutes if you add the google voice number to your friends and family. Not you google voice number, but when you make an outgoing call and the bubble pops up that says "calling via XXX-XXX-XXXX" that is the number that shows up to Verizon. It stays the same if you stay in the general calling area. If you travel alot this option may not work for you. I use my google voice number for all out of network calls.

OP
Getaphixx

Getaphixx

Reaction score
Technically...

When you set up a Google Voice account and integrate it properly, you shouldn't have ANY used minutes..

Because,

You've set up all your incoming and outgoing calls (Which are routed through Google Voice and it's access numbers) on your friends and family FREE CALL list..

In that when you recieve a call.. It should be on your GV number and should be free..

In that when you make a call... It should be on your GV number and be free..

For some odd reason.. I was barely going over my minutes EVERY MONTH..

And was recently offered for 10 more dollars a month an UNLIMITED VERZION SMARTPHONE PLAN..

I found it funny since I know there's an additional minutes package above my 900 one (Think it's 1200 or 1400).. And above that there's the unlimited package.. but is far more expensive.. But I seemed to have gotten the Ulimited Calling for only 10$ more than what I'm paying now... Not that it is a bad deal.. But I believe Verzion is not accounting my minutes properly and forcing me into this Extra 10$ a month.. when in reality I should drop down to the 450 minute package and still be covered under their Unlimited Smart phone Text and data plan while using Google Voice for UNLIMITED calling..

Am I making any sense?

HAHAH

OP
Getaphixx

Getaphixx

Reaction score
And no.. I don't travel..

I stay within Oklahoma City limits actually..

Vindii

Reaction score
I have read that you have to add two numbers to your friends and family plan. One for out calls and for incoming. Did you check to make site you have the right number entered

diverbelow

Reaction score
Technically...

When you set up a Google Voice account and integrate it properly, you shouldn't have ANY used minutes..

Because,

You've set up all your incoming and outgoing calls (Which are routed through Google Voice and it's access numbers) on your friends and family FREE CALL list..

In that when you recieve a call.. It should be on your GV number and should be free..

In that when you make a call... It should be on your GV number and be free..

For some odd reason.. I was barely going over my minutes EVERY MONTH..

And was recently offered for 10 more dollars a month an UNLIMITED VERZION SMARTPHONE PLAN..

I found it funny since I know there's an additional minutes package above my 900 one (Think it's 1200 or 1400).. And above that there's the unlimited package.. but is far more expensive.. But I seemed to have gotten the Ulimited Calling for only 10$ more than what I'm paying now... Not that it is a bad deal.. But I believe Verzion is not accounting my minutes properly and forcing me into this Extra 10$ a month.. when in reality I should drop down to the 450 minute package and still be covered under their Unlimited Smart phone Text and data plan while using Google Voice for UNLIMITED calling..

Am I making any sense?

HAHAH

At this time, Google Voice is not setup to use voip, but that is coming sometime this year. So GV is currently setup to go through your voice plan.

I have read that you have to add two numbers to your friends and family plan. One for out calls and for incoming. Did you check to make site you have the right number entered

As Vindii stated above, you have to add the incoming and outgoing GV uses to send/receive voice calls to you FF account.

The only thing that is free and unlimited with GV is SMS messaging. Hence you do not select the SMS to be forward to your cell phone and only kept in the GV inbox.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
GV is so simple to set up and you don't need to add a bunch of numbers to your F&F haha...

1] Your incoming settings in Google Voice should say to show your Google Voice number for caller ID, and if you want to know who's calling select announce caller before answering option

2] Outgoing, just dial your Google Voice number, hit option 2 and dial the number. This way your not going through some access code, your dialing out with your GV number. That's annoying to do for every call right? Well download gvmynumber - Project Hosting on Google Code , install it on your phone and it'll do it for you

3] Add your Google Voice number to your F&F. THat's it. No need to add access codes, no need to change codes every time you travel somewhere, no need to worry about minutes.

You will have unlimited outbound and inbound using this method.

diverbelow

Reaction score
GV is so simple to set up and you don't need to add a bunch of numbers to your F&F haha...

1] Your incoming settings in Google Voice should say to show your Google Voice number for caller ID, and if you want to know who's calling select announce caller before answering option

2] Outgoing, just dial your Google Voice number, hit option 2 and dial the number. This way your not going through some access code, your dialing out with your GV number. That's annoying to do for every call right? Well download gvmynumber - Project Hosting on Google Code , install it on your phone and it'll do it for you

3] Add your Google Voice number to your F&F. THat's it. No need to add access codes, no need to change codes every time you travel somewhere, no need to worry about minutes.

You will have unlimited outbound and inbound using this method.

WOW, that is a easier way.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Properly is the key word. Your outbound calls are being counted against you because you haven't done one of the following:

1. Add your GV access number (not your GV number as already mentioned in this thread) to F&F or
  2. Use the app czerdrill suggested.
I'm using option 1 (not looking for all inbound and outbound calls to be free) and I've only used a few minutes this last cycle.

Which is funny.. cause isn't unlimited supposed to be a little more expensive than 89$ a month for a smart phone..
Unlimited talk and text is $89. Doesn't include the mandatory data plan.

zero7starz

Reaction score
Also, Verizon changed all their plans on 1/18/10. Single line plans have only 3 voice tiers, 450, 900, and unlimited. FS plans have 700, 1400, 2000, and unlimited.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How to we determine what our Google Voice "access" number is???

When you signed up for Google Voice you were given a Google Voice number. If you don't remember that number then go to your google voice page on the internet and you will see it there.

FlipFlops24/7

Reaction score
How to we determine what our Google Voice "access" number is???

When you signed up for Google Voice you were given a Google Voice number. If you don't remember that number then go to your google voice page on the internet and you will see it there.

I know what my Google Voice "phone number" is, I'm asking if there's a 2nd number we need to add to our Friends and Family list, as stated earlier in this thread. Someone mentioned a Google Voice "access number", which I can't seem to find.