Verizon Is Dropping The $20 Data Hike Hammer On The Rest Of Us August 21

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

A while back Verizon decided to add $20 to the bill of anyone still on a grandfathered unlimited data plan. They have apparently been rolling this price increase in stages. I am personally an old Alltel customer. My data was built into my package. This is exactly the type of package that Verizon has purposefully skipped over so far. I was holding out hope that maybe I was overlooked and would never see the $20 price increase for my unlimited data. Unfortunately this does not seem to be the case.

Verizon subscribers who have not seen the data hike yet are beginning to receive emails from Verizon stating that effective August 21st their bills will be increased by $20. This goes for every line with the feature. For my household that is an extra $40. I use about 50GB of data per month while my wife uses about 30GB. It is not uncommon for us to hit 100GB on any given month. My bill is currently $140 per month. This increase would bring me to $180 per month. That still beats the 80GB plan which is $360 a month. The smaller plans do offer Safety Mode which will auto throttle your connection once you hit your limit without charging you overages, but Verizon 3G is so painfully slow I just don't think I could handle it for more than two thirds of every month.

I have thought about purchasing a hotspot puck and just inserting my sim with unlimited data into it for household data then ditching my home internet. This would even out my monthly bills. Too bad Verizon doesn't offer an unlimited plan which includes home internet. Either way I'll be looking for T-Mobile to improve their signal in my region. I may have to give them another try soon.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Throttles to 2G not 3.

Were you notified? I have not been and I'm still on the old $29.99 UDP. There is no mention on the site, my bill, anywhere.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Old AllTel plan user here, no notification as of yet...

We have limited coverage from other providers in our area...so for now, we would remain with VZW.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
This will be my final straw with VZW if they drop another $20 hike on me. I just looked at total wireless and it's $35 a month for 5GB of data using VZW towers. So what am I not getting?

shockracer

Reaction score
I was hit with it back in December. I'll eat it, with how data usage is always increasing do to app and packet sizes, it will payoff one day!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Look around for promos and immaterial options that put you under contract, call and ask about loyalty programs if you have to.

I found an option last December that locked-in my plan for another year and so have thus far avoided the $20 price increase.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If they are going to raise our data prices, I'd at least like to see them throw us a bone on unlimited minutes and texts.

But actually I substitute wifi calling enough to work around limited minutes, and I should just drop texting because I can get that thru my google voice number for free.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
We were hit with it back in Feb on two UD lines but it's still worth it for us.

S5 tap'n
november last year, they thank me for being a ten year member every time I call... I then ask, if you're so thankful how about a bill credit for those UDP lines.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
november last year, they thank me for being a ten year member every time I call... I then ask, if you're so thankful how about a bill credit for those UDP lines.
I get the "thank you for being a customer almost as long as I've been alive".

shockracer

Reaction score

They tell me the same, the immediately tell me how I could be saving money by switching to a new plan, LMAO, you wish!

badtoy1986

Reaction score

A while back Verizon decided to add $20 to the bill of anyone still on a grandfathered unlimited data plan. They have apparently been rolling this price increase in stages. I am personally an old Alltel customer. My data was built into my package. This is exactly the type of package that Verizon has purposefully skipped over so far. I was holding out hope that maybe I was overlooked and would never see the $20 price increase for my unlimited data. Unfortunately this does not seem to be the case.

Verizon subscribers who have not seen the data hike yet are beginning to receive emails from Verizon stating that effective August 21st their bills will be increased by $20. This goes for every line with the feature. For my household that is an extra $40. I use about 50GB of data per month while my wife uses about 30GB. It is not uncommon for us to hit 100GB on any given month. My bill is currently $140 per month. This increase would bring me to $180 per month. That still beats the 80GB plan which is $360 a month. The smaller plans do offer Safety Mode which will auto throttle your connection once you hit your limit without charging you overages, but Verizon 3G is so painfully slow I just don't think I could handle it for more than two thirds of every month.

I have thought about purchasing a hotspot puck and just inserting my sim with unlimited data into it for household data then ditching my home internet. This would even out my monthly bills. Too bad Verizon doesn't offer an unlimited plan which includes home internet. Either way I'll be looking for T-Mobile to improve their signal in my region. I may have to give them another try soon.

I am a heavy user, but I don't tether, no need to for me. But, how in the world do you go through so much data?

badtoy1986

Reaction score
It's not hard. This month (1 day shy of a full billing cycle) I've gone through 27gb, just with YouTube.

S5 tap'n
I guess I can see that. I guess I'm always on wifi when I'm somewhere that I can watch YouTube.