Verizon iPhone. Jan/Feb 2011 Release *Rumor*

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by Vanilla Ice, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkhonea

jkhonea DF Super Moderator

Shooting for one for my wife for Valentine's Day.
  2. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

Sure. I'm definitely getting the new iPhone...

...if it's made by Motorola and called the "Droid Bionic".

Seriously, I had the IPhone 3GS when it came out. After 7 months I paid the ETF, got the D1, and threw that junk in the kitchen drawer. After using Android for well over a year now I have NO interest in the iPhone. I may give it a serious look one day if Android starts to let me down for some reason. But, until then I have no reason to switch.
  3. jkhonea

Thus the reason I'll keep the Incredible as my phone. ;)
  4. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

5. jkhonea

6. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Yeah it just makes me wonder how badly VZW really wanted the iPhone to agree to that haha...they've loaded crapware since the days of my motorola e815 hahaa
  7. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

2-yr contracts. With NE2 going away, everyone else for Android will be going annual contracts. So is that a trade-off? VZW loses whatever marginal revenue from bloatware but won't pay as large a subisdy for the IPhone?
  8. jkhonea

Eh, I've always had the two year plan and will now have to wait twenty months instead of around fourteen. That's a little bit of a pain, but I can live with it.

And honestly, I don't think we can DEFINITELY pin this on the iPhone. Because even though this came down around the same time as the iPhone, it actually came down with the announcements of a whole lot of new Android devices. I honestly believe this has more to do with the devices getting so expensive in comparison to the iPhone coming along.
  9. kodiak799

I agree, but the NE2 was only $70 more, meaning the subsidies VZW was paying were less than for 1-yr and annual upgrades (say $200/yr vs. $300 per year).

I understand why the early/annual upgrade is out, but not why the NE2 is gone unless the 1-yr contract prices are also going up. There was another thread about this and how there's no reason to be on 2-yr contracts now, and then here's the IPhone deal requiring 2-yr contracts.

Or the 2-yr could just be Jobs...An LTE IPhone appears to be 1.5yrs away - want to make sure you lock people up until you can unveil that.
  10. jkhonea

That's another good possibility. But I think Verizon was going to get us soon one way or another. The phone swapping was starting to wear on them, I'll bet.
  11. kodiak799

I agree, but unless I'm not fully understanding the new plans, they've removed any incentive to be on anything other than a 1-yr contract. Can't see where I gain anything from locking into 2-yr contracts.

Doesn't make sense to me that the 1-yr contracts didn't go away. Maybe we're in for sticker shock when we see the new 1-yr contract prices. But if it's $240 for 2-yr vs. $300 for 1-yr (which actually cost them more), it's a no brainer to go 1-yr. Unless you're strapped for cash, in which case you shouldn't own a smartphone (though millions do anyway).

It's a very scary thought that this isn't just the IPhone but maybe all smartphones only subsidize a 2-yr contract .....so CHOOSE WISELY. Could be a lot of unhappy campers if we find out the new phones from CES are $600 retail or $300 with a 2-yr contract and no chance of an early upgrade.
  12. elvis_marmaduke

elvis_marmaduke New Member

My wife lost interest with no 4g lol
  13. jkhonea

Are we sure the one year plans are going away? I need to look further into that one.
  14. kodiak799

My understanding is the NE2 goes away, what that means I don't know (just re-up at a 2-yr contract price?). The annual upgrades on 2yr plans is going away. Early upgrades are going away.

As far as I know, 1yr contracts will continue. Like I said, what we don't know is pricing/subsidy on 1yr contracts. It's possible to get a subsidy they are going to lock you in to 2yrs, at least that appears to be the case with the IPhone.
  15. jkhonea

Yeah, the writing on that has been unclear. What I have read is that there will be discounts, but not until month 20 out of 24 on a two year contract. I hate how they are playing with words on it.
  16. NVash

NVash New Member

$300 for a 32GB? Thats not too bad. Isnt that around the same cost as an iTouch? However Im not quite sure I understand whats going on. Is this for a one or two year plan? It seems that two year plans are being voided out which is well and good with me because Ive had this Droid two years and while its working I would gladly trade it in for a Droid 2. I remember a month or so ago I was Troubleshooting my Droid over the phone and as we worked on it I told the lady how I thought that it shouldnt be so hard to get a new phone and people shouldnt have to wait two years for a new one. They should be able to just renew their contract again, if applicable, and get the new phone for $200. I posted this on another thread but apparently its a very bad idea due to Verizon no longer making a profit on the phones. This was not brought up by that lady, she actually agreed and said that they may be working on something just like that. Now I hear about this and wonder if this is what she meant.

Truthfully, the thing is that as much as I like my Droid its old news. I know that. Im pretty sure the Droid 2 is almost old news. These things are like computers in that Weird Al song 'Its All About The Pentiums', theyre obsolete before you take them out of the box. I like to be pretty up to date with my phones and after having many problems with my Droid since the year and a half mark I seriously doubt Im doing another two year contract. After about a year I find myself not wanting a replacement of the same phone when it acts up, I want a new phone entirely. If theyve phased out two year contracts thats right up my alley.
  17. Vanilla Ice

Vanilla Ice New Member

18. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

19. joker402

joker402 New Member

The 2 years are not going away, the credit near the end of the 2 years is tho.

if they allow you to buy the iphone on 1 year then its probbly gonna cost $400 or more for the 32gb but i dobut they will do that ( i dont belive they do)
  20. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.