Verizon iPhone. Jan/Feb 2011 Release *Rumor*

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by Vanilla Ice, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vanilla Ice

Vanilla Ice Member

Ratings:
    +0
  2. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    You know it makes sense, atleast from a marketing standpoint, to have Verizon announce this and not Apple. I think with Verizon announcing it, it still leaves tons of room for speculation if it really is going to be the iPhone for VZW. Now if Apple just up and called for a conference, after they have announced all their latest gadgets already, it would be a bit more obvious that it was the Verizon iPhone. Not saying this press conference will be about the iPhone but it makes sense for Apple to allow Verizon to announce it.

3. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Oh...it's coming... 1/11/11 at 11 haha

4. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Haha...Gizmodo is not invited to the event, according to Gizmodo. They're the ones who ran that whole Iphone 4 found in a bar debacle. Coincidence that they're not invited? hahaa

5. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Adding fuel to the speculation fire is that the fact that TechCrunch’s MG Siegler has also been invited to the event, which he claims is not typical of Verizon.

“I don’t typically get invites directly from Verizon to anything,” Siegler reveals. “At least not that I can recall. They usually send those directly to the MobileCrunch and CrunchGear guys. But this invite appears to very specifically be for me -- it’s non-transferable. Would Verizon send me such an invite unless it was specially about Apple?”

Finally, Jim Dalrymple of The Loop also confirms receiving the exact same invite, and it doesn’t take a degree in rocket science to figure out that The Loop exclusively covers Apple products… so feel free to theorize amongst yourselves. It’s gonna be a long weekend…Update: The plot thickens, as the folks over at Gizmodo apparently have not been invited to the event by Verizon, despite claiming that they're "great friends" with the carrier. That can mean only one thing: Apple doesn't want them there after last year's major iPhone 4 leak. "AT&T, can you hear me now?"

via iPhone Rumors: Verizon Announces Special Event for Tuesday (Updated) | Mac|Life

6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +608
    Haha....Somehow I doubt it's for VZW to announce LTE pricing plans, which is about the only other thing it could be.

Although, I would find it inordinately humorous if they say "we will NEVER sell the IPhone and the purpose of this conference is to behold this quad-core, 4gig of ram, 1080P screen Droid Death Star...you may now bow before us"

7. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Now we wait and see what this means for Android. I've gotta say the phones announced at CES for Android are sick...definitely thinking about the Bionic, but this iPhone is going to change the game simply because it's an iPhone and it's on VZW.

8. Vanilla Ice

Vanilla Ice Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hahahahaha.... well if this meeting is for the iPhone, im sold.

9. Vanilla Ice

Vanilla Ice Member

Ratings:
    +0
    But it can also be an iPad 2 meeting or whatever.

10. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    haha, that would make a lot of people upset.

11. neubanks89

neubanks89 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    and so the android slaughter begins. as much as I have used and developed for android over the past year (it's been an experience), an iphone on verizon will truly test its long term viability. many would consider me a huge android advocate and i'll be first in line to get an iphone, that says a lot

12. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    it does. the iphone is trouble for android, no matter what specs the newest android phones have. the iphone set a bar that no one has beaten to this day, and its unlikely anyone will beat anytime soon. i care about specs, but the average consumer doesn't. they care about marketing and what's easy to use. the iphone provides both of those very effectively.

13. Vanilla Ice

Vanilla Ice Member

Ratings:
    +0
    another thing too. its better competition for android. it will only make both apple and android better. thats why i started this thread. its going to effect android in both bad and good. Maybe verizon will announce the iphone for verizon and steve jobs will present it and its new features else where.... i would like it to be at least a 4 inch screen. who knows.

14. jkhonea

jkhonea DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    Definitely WON'T be about the iPad 2. That will be a device event that Apple specifically announce. Say what you will, Monday may be very interesting. Very interesting indeed.

15. neubanks89

neubanks89 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There are two main reasons I'll be buying the iPhone on verizon:

#1: Device Manufactures fail to improve specs in the areas the general pubic actually cares about. Big one for me is the screen resolution the iPhone's screen looks better than any other device on the market period and 420x800 just won't cut it, even if the phone is 3Ghz quad core.

#2: Apps on Android aren't of the same quality (mainly user interface, not necessarily function) as iOS. This is not to discredit app developers, I'm one myself, but because the tools given to developers for Android are very difficult to use to make great user interfaces, Apple provides amazing developer tools that a 1st grader could learn in about 30 minutes.

I'll still take care of my android apps and keep my Droid og running but it's becoming a pain to try and support all the different devices out there and it's only going to get worse. I feel like a lot of app devs are like me and just coasting a little to see how bad it's going to get before we have to spend millions on devices to test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.