Verizon iPhone breaks record

Discussion in 'Iphone on VZW' started by Malvado, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15
    It took Verizon only two hours of having the iPhone 4 available for pre-order to break its all-time record for first day sales of a single device. That's in spite of the fact it only opened up pre-orders to its own subscribers and did so at the dead of night. To be clear, between 3AM and 5AM yesterday morning, more people ordered up the iPhone 4 than Verizon has been able to get through its doors on any full product launch day. Predictably, the carrier hasn't bothered to include the actual number of devices ordered up, but judging from the server issues it was having immediately after making the handset available and the subsequent shutdown of advance pre-orders, we'll go ahead and guess it was "a lot."

source: Verizon breaks first day sales record with iPhone 4 pre-orders -- in only two hours -- Engadget

2. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    moved to proper forum area

3. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Sorry about that lol I wasnt aware we had an iphone section lmao

Sent from my DROID2

4. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    guess there was a pent up demand huh, kodiak? more sales in two hours then any full first day launch in history...and that was only with current customers haha

#4 czerdrill, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  5. Kanibull

Kanibull Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now you know how many teenage girls will be on Verizon

6. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    :rofl3:

10 char

7. jussumguy88

jussumguy88 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Lol. This made me chuckle.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Every IPhone launch/pre-order sells out and the last one on AT&T, at least, was also suspended. I've never said it wasn't going to sell or won't continue to be the #1 selling handset, but it's market share is clearly going to decline to the 15-20% range. It's hung tough, and it's Q4 decline might be entirely attributable to buyers waiting for the VZW IPhone, but inevitably Android is going to have a majority market share.

Put a number on it...How many VZW pre-orders will there be, not day 1 but the entire week before opening to non-VZW customers? Is it more or less than 1M? 2M? 3M? 5M+?

Not really surprising or unexpected, however many people there are I didn't expect them to wait weeks or even days to finally order after having waited months or years. But without context, or an actual number (like how many actually sold, or even what the prior record was), it is the typical hype that accompanies every IPhone launch.

Care to respond to the fact that Android is now outselling IPhone nearly 3 to 1? That would be an actual number that could be discussed.

#8 kodiak799, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  9. Jasonjohns

Jasonjohns Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You guys are keeping me very entertained! This is better than peanut butter & nana samichez

10. SierraRR

SierraRR Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess that is good for VZW. But I am waiting for the TB

11. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Man if only they released the whole count of preorders...I mean sellint out in the first 2 hours os good but what if it was only 100,000 preorders lol...that wouldn't really be a record lmao

Sent from my DROID2

12. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    haha...there's the backtrack i was expecting. you have said countless times that you don't believe there is any "pent up demand" or "untapped market" for the iphone on verizon. that "anyone who wants one has already got one". then the iphone breaks every first day launch record in verizon's history in 2 hours and now it's expected and not a surprise. it doesn't matter if the previous record was 20, the point is in 2 hours, verizon sold out of their pre order inventory. at that pace they would have sold 240 in a day, and that would be a 1200% increase from any other phone in verizon's history. no matter how you may want to slice it, that's pent up demand, bro. you'll downplay and backtrack this to the end of time, that much is evident now.

again you're downplaying something that's in your face. that's what's bizarre and odd and makes you look like a fanboy.

as for android outselling iphone nearly 3 to 1, i'm pretty sure we discuss this every time we discuss anything. here it is again: 70+ phones, several more carriers, several different prices. you know, kia dealership in utah, 6 other dealerships in major cities? remember that? deja vu...see what happens when the iphone goes to the network with the highest android sales? outsells every phone in verizon's launch day history in two hours. calling me a fanboy for seeing the facts doesn't make it so, man. you can mark this off your calendar now. next we wait for the LTE iphone, so we can see how you spin those records haha

oh, also "if" the iphone is released first, LTE will be put on the backburner.

i'm getting weary of having to say the same thing over and over dancedroid