Verizon iPhone 4S on AT&T? Possible?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is stuck out of town and lost her iPhone. She's with AT&T. I also have a 4S for Verizon that is currently NOT on any of my lines. I've been trying to sell it with no luck so far. Anyway, I know the 4S is meant to have global capabilities. Can she activate my phone on AT&T somehow?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is stuck out of town and lost her iPhone. She's with AT&T. I also have a 4S for Verizon that is currently NOT on any of my lines. I've been trying to sell it with no luck so far. Anyway, I know the 4S is meant to have global capabilities. Can she activate my phone on AT&T somehow?

Don't see how it could be, CDMA for that phone and Verison GSM for AT&T.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
True, but the 4S was built to be a global phone (i.e., from a hardware standpoint, the 4S is identical on AT&T and Verizon), so I know it technically can take and use a SIM.

After doing a little research, it looks like it's probably not possible b/c VZW has it carrier locked, and will only unlock it for their international GSM "partners"... but still digging.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Looks like you stumbled upon the answer. If I recall Verizon only has certain partners in other parts of the world and will only unlock it to that specific network. If it's in the states it's locked to Verizon/CDMA. I was with my parents when they upgraded to their iPhones and that's what the employee told me about it being "global ready"

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
yes you can use a verizon iphone 4s on att it requires the phone to be jailbroken and you have to use a Gevey Sim ($50.00) and youll be able to use it on AT&T here in the states. I havent looked into this for a few months things may have changed but its worth checking out.

if the phone is running iOS 5.1 this wont work.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
yes you can use a verizon iphone 4s on att it requires the phone to be jailbroken and you have to use a Gevey Sim ($50.00) and youll be able to use it on AT&T here in the states. I havent looked into this for a few months things may have changed but its worth checking out.

if the phone is running iOS 5.1 this wont work.

Thanks for that info, good to know regardless.

#1 it's already running iOS 5.1, and #2 if I gave my friend a jailbroken phone, she'd probably think I bought it from a prison inmate. ;)