verizon intl charges

turnpike

Reaction score
ok i got my D2G to be able to use the unlimited data plan while i am deployed overseas in iraq. when i activated my phone i was told it would increase my 29.99 data package to 64.99 which i found to be acceptable. the rep said come back right before i leave and activate it...so i head back to the store the day before i leave and come to find out that i was lied to

verizons global data package has changed

for an extra $100 per month i get a whopping 70mb of data and every megabyte over that is $20.46 thats CRAZY!!!

so i was able to root it before i left and i'm hoping that i can use a iraq sim card and be able to reach the internet with my phone.

can anyone offer any other suggestions?
right now i'm rooted with the standard verizon sim card installed

kptphalkon

Reaction score
If you signed the contract with a 65 dollar unl global package there is no way they could have changed it on you...but i dont know. And yeah those fees are bull****

As far as i can recall your best bet is to get a second phone to use with an iraqi cell provider
Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

OP
T

turnpike

Reaction score
there is no contract for the data plan, only that one is required while having a smart phone. i was "told" that because i was in the states that i could not activate the intl data until i was ready to leave. supposedly that are different settings

waynebunch

Reaction score
I have the d2g in italy and had some issues as well once I swapped from my BB. The int plan is good anywhere over here for the 64 bucks. Make sure u update ur phone to the new plan before u leave. My first bill with this phone was $3000 haha.. but it got settled and now im skyping daily. Just d/l the skype app because the verizon one wont work overseas. Btw im using some fission, been a while since I've updated, works great.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

silver6054

Reaction score
I have the d2g in italy and had some issues as well once I swapped from my BB. The int plan is good anywhere over here for the 64 bucks. Make sure u update ur phone to the new plan before u leave. My first bill with this phone was $3000 haha.. but it got settled and now im skyping daily. Just d/l the skype app because the verizon one wont work overseas. Btw im using some fission, been a while since I've updated, works great.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

The international plan (the $64 one), as the OP said, has been discontinued. If you were on it, you can keep it (but can't cancel and restart it later) or if you are a business line. Otherwise it is the useless new plan, unless you can persuade Verizon to give you the old plan, which a few people have managed.

The good news is that your story does sound similar to the few that succeeded. If a rep told you to wait and sign up just before leaving (and this was near Jan 16th, when the plan ended) that gives you some ground. However, this was very soon after the plan ended, as time goes on they may be less willing, but try.

The other thing is that rooting has nothing to do with getting the phone unlocked. You need to ask Global Services for the unlock code, and then you will be able to use a local SIM.

tjm999

Reaction score
Turnpike let us know how you make out with this if you are able to. Stay safe.

TinMan09

Reaction score
just keep your verizon sim in the global and use data and when you get to iraq get one of the $20 global phones with the sim. Yeah it sucks carrying two phones, but from personal experience here in afghanistan, my cheap nokia phone gets better reception with the roshan sim card than my D2G does.

techguru

Reaction score
You need to call global support to unlock the phone to use another sim card. As long as you are a customer in good standing they will talk you through the process.

tjm999

Reaction score
Now that's a bummer. I got my D2G for the exact same purpose Tinman.

I have my cheap nokia from my last trip but the original poster may want to check ebay now for a cheap GSM.

just keep your verizon sim in the global and use data and when you get to iraq get one of the $20 global phones with the sim. Yeah it sucks carrying two phones, but from personal experience here in afghanistan, my cheap nokia phone gets better reception with the roshan sim card than my D2G does.

OP
T

turnpike

Reaction score
i'm going to try and call verizon in the next couple of days and see what they can do

the reason i want the data plan is so that i can use pda.net and connect to the internet...local internet is crazy expensive and super slow...and i can use the mobile skype for calls

Last edited:
OP
T

turnpike

Reaction score
well after 4 disconnects i finally got through to the global services...i begged and pleaded but no luck getting the 64.99 data plan...but she did activate my sim card and give me the unlock code so i can put in a different country sim card. right now it's like 2.89 a min for calls on verizon's gsm...but well worth it for a emergency.

pjjameso

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but, when you put in a 3rd party SIM card do you get a different phone number? I would assume yes.

silver6054

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but, when you put in a 3rd party SIM card do you get a different phone number? I would assume yes.

Your assumption is correct! If you use a country X SIM card, you will get a number in that country.

This is one of the selling points of using the supplied Vodafone SIM, you get to keep your US number, but I think for all but the most casual use, that convenience now comes at way too high a price.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Don't forget, that if you switch around countries, they charge each other roaming too. I have already unlocked my d2g, got a SIM card in Italy, but when I was in Greece I was roaming all the time, and ended up using all of my Euros on roaming charges, so that within 2 weeks my 80 Euros was gone (I did make more than a few phone calls).

I guess I'll have to get a sim card for every single freaking country I pull into. ugh.

btw, have been having no troubles at all getting a signal.

silver6054

Reaction score
Don't forget, that if you switch around countries, they charge each other roaming too. I have already unlocked my d2g, got a SIM card in Italy, but when I was in Greece I was roaming all the time, and ended up using all of my Euros on roaming charges, so that within 2 weeks my 80 Euros was gone (I did make more than a few phone calls).

I guess I'll have to get a sim card for every single freaking country I pull into. ugh.

btw, have been having no troubles at all getting a signal.
There are multi-country SIM cards, either regional (e.g. International SIM Cards from GOSIM - cheap mobile calls from abroad)
or Global (Gosim, Telestial). The disadvantage is that the cost is more in each country than a local sim for that country, but if you are going to a lot of places, the advantage may be worth it.