Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
verizon_nexus.png

Video removed due to language issue​

In the leaked documents we can see that starting next week that Verizon will make data plans mandatory on ANY PHONE. Let me say that again ANY PHONE, That means flip phones, and feature phones.

Further It states they may coerce customers to change their plan by offering them features and products that they most likely won’t use ANYWAY.

This could also be the end for some unlimited data users plans as well. This could be in response to the FCC asking for more details on their proposed throttling. (My advise is contact them and let them know you will leave if they touch your plan) (Another note, If you want to leave most Verizon phones <smartphones> from the last two years are compatible with T-Mobile)

This looks like another BS move by Verizon to get more money out of existing customers.

Don’t get me wrong Verizon is not dumb, They know they have 1 maybe 2 years of this price gouging left, If they let T-Mobile catch up that long, Most likely you’re looking at a year tops. So Verizon is trying to get everything it can at this point.

I’ve linked to the document for your own reading below. Enjoy.

Let us know what you think in the comments here and on youtube.

https://tktechnewsblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/augoperationalupdates.pdf

Source

Last edited:

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
My parents will not like this. They have a flip phone and its all they need at the moment. (according to them.) Charging data on a phone that never gets used for anything online related is outrageous.

Sent from my XT1060

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
My parents will not like this. They have a flip phone and its all they need at the moment. (according to them.) Charging data on a phone that never gets used for anything online related is outrageous.

Sent from my XT1060
I wonder how legal this may be....

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They did this once before. I remember my daughter got a new Chocolate and it was required to have a data package. It wasn't a smartphone like package but a data package non the less and it was $10 a month.
It didn't last but a few months because of consumer backlash. That being said and with so many pre pay, phone only offerings now, including Verizon, the ability for consumer backlash of speaking with the wallet is even greater than when I bought that phone years ago.
But alas, when there was only whining and moaning and no backlash when Verizon started charging an activation fee to upgrade existing lines I am not do sure the consumer will do anymore this time than whine a little then cross their fingers that big brother government will step in, which probably won't happen in this case. Granted the dumbphone market is MUCH smaller than it was back then BUT consumers could set a precedent by speaking with their wallet .If a large percentage of a small market makes a lot of financial noise perhaps someone will take notice.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
It comes in line with the Everything plans ..I moved my sister to the $45 plan after I left Verizon...she's using a feature phone and has data although she doesn't use it ...actually had promo upped it to 1G ...

M8 tap'd

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It comes in line with the Everything plans ..I moved my sister to the $45 plan after I left Verizon...she's using a feature phone and has data although she doesn't use it ...actually had promo upped it to 1G ...

M8 tap'd
My wife did the same thing but with an iPhone. She uses about 10MB a month at most. She spoke with her wallet that she wasn't going to pay for something she doesn't need but wanted to stick with Verizon. My middle daughter did the same as your sister, including the adding the extra data, again speaking with the wallet but she uses just over the 500 included and the extra stretches out over 3 months. My oldest daughter spoke with her wallet at the lack of reception in our world by moving to AT&T. I did the same but moved to T-Mobile, which since she travels the east coast for work didn't seem like the best option for her. We're all content, Verizon lost 4 LONG time post pay customers because of their policies.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'm not sure what everyone is reading but that PDF document clearly states throughout the memo that this is for "smartphones", not people who have a simple dumb phone. (perhaps I'm reading it wrong?) I think the person who made the video is reading more into this than what it actually says, as this document specifies "smartphones" only.

tap'n on my S5

Last edited:
OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I'm not sure what everyone is reading but that PDF document clearly states throughout the memo that this is for "smartphones", not people who have a simple dumb phone. (perhaps I'm reading it wrong?) I think the person who made the video is reading more into this than what it actually says, as this document specifies "smartphones" only.

tap'n on my S5
“Why do I have to keep my data plan for 2 years even if I switch to a basic phone?”
Positioning Tips
In these situations, be clear and direct with your customer on the “why”, as well as his/her available options:
 The data package is required because of the discount the customer is receiving on the phone
 To avoid the data package, the customer can:
o Switch to a MORE Everything plan
o Purchase a non-contracted smartphone, either by paying full retail price or using the Verizon
Edge program

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
As cr6 stated it is only for persons upgrading from an old plan (basic phone) to a new smartphone plan. If you get a smartphone plus the data plan you are required to keep the data plan for the entire 2 year contract so you can pay off the smartphone that was purchased at a discounted price for signing a 2 year contract. IF you get a smartphone + data plan, THEN switch the phone on the affected line FROM a smartphone TO a feature phone (thus keeping the smartphone and not paying for it) you are then required to keep the data plan. Now read the section in red

"NOTE
If a customer returns the smartphone within the 14 day return period, the data requirement will be removed."

Basically there was a loophole that would let you keep the smartphone after returning your line of service back to a basic phone on a basic plan, therefore not paying back the upfront cost that Verizon has already paid (I know, debatable right), over the life of the contract. They have closed the loophole. They aren't forcing everyone to change to a data plan. They are telling people that upgrade to a smartphone that if they don't return the actual phone they can't switch back to a basic plan. I have 4 lines, all smartphone/data lines. This will not affect me or those like me as existing customers in any way so the headline for this post is IMHO very misleading. But it did work as it brought me in to read it.

It also doesn't mention ANYTHING about those still on unlimited data being forced into a different plan. Keep brining your own phone or paying full price and you are good.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I may move sis over to AT&T once her contract expires ...

M8 tap'd
I thought your sis was on Pre Pay? My wife and middle daughter are on the pre pay, whatever it's called, that has unlimited calls/texts and 500MB data for $45 a month. For $5 more I get an extra 500MB of lte and unlimited throttled data. Heck even the throttled data is faster than what I was getting with Verizon at my house and around town so I dropped the extra 2GB for $10 feature. Whether an email takes 1/100 of a second or 1 second is of no consequence to me.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As cr6 stated it is only for persons upgrading from an old plan (basic phone) to a new smartphone plan. If you get a smartphone plus the data plan you are required to keep the data plan for the entire 2 year contract so you can pay off the smartphone that was purchased at a discounted price for signing a 2 year contract. IF you get a smartphone + data plan, THEN switch the phone on the affected line FROM a smartphone TO a feature phone (thus keeping the smartphone and not paying for it) you are then required to keep the data plan. Now read the section in red

"NOTE
If a customer returns the smartphone within the 14 day return period, the data requirement will be removed."

Basically there was a loophole that would let you keep the smartphone after returning your line of service back to a basic phone on a basic plan, therefore not paying back the upfront cost that Verizon has already paid (I know, debatable right), over the life of the contract. They have closed the loophole. They aren't forcing everyone to change to a data plan. They are telling people that upgrade to a smartphone that if they don't return the actual phone they can't switch back to a basic plan. I have 4 lines, all smartphone/data lines. This will not affect me or those like me as existing customers in any way so the headline for this post is IMHO very misleading. But it did work as it brought me in to read it.

It also doesn't mention ANYTHING about those still on unlimited data being forced into a different plan. Keep brining your own phone or paying full price and you are good.
Thanks for the clarification.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I thought your sis was on Pre Pay? My wife and middle daughter are on the pre pay, whatever it's called, that has unlimited calls/texts and 500MB data for $45 a month. For $5 more I get an extra 500MB of lte and unlimited throttled data. Heck even the throttled data is faster than what I was getting with Verizon at my house and around town so I dropped the extra 2GB for $10 feature. Whether an email takes 1/100 of a second or 1 second is of no consequence to me.

She's on contract bc we had family plan when I was unlimited..same price though

M8 tap'd