verizon hotspot workaround?

cjanicke

Reaction score
I had to replace my Moto X pure edition. I went to the Moto Z2 Force. With the X, I was able to use the hotspot without a subscription. To use it with the new phone, they want to charge me $30/month. I am on an older unlimited plan that I do want to change from. The new unlimited plans are closer to matching what I get on the old plan. Is there any way to get around Verizon's fee and use the hotspot?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
What he said. With the old unlimited plan, that's how it worked. There was an extra monthly charge. No way around it.
Might be time to ditch that plan. Wife had that for a loooong time. Ditched it and we're paying less every month and she's never got her 5gb limit. I held on to that for far too long.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Dutch7

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Have you tried the app FoxFi? Try it an see if it will work. The free version will kick you off after a little while. But if it works, pay the $7 (or at least that is how much it was when I got it) for the key and then it won't kick you off. It worked for me for years on my S5.

OP
C

cjanicke

Reaction score
Yeah, I used the Foxfi/ PDAnet app on an older phone. Seems like the companies shut them down mostly.

Sicfast

Reaction score
Just get the new unlimited data plan, I had the old plan as well. You get hotspot capability, ability to upgrade your phone, and you're not stealing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Secondlaw

Reaction score
I had to replace my Moto X pure edition. I went to the Moto Z2 Force. With the X, I was able to use the hotspot without a subscription. To use it with the new phone, they want to charge me $30/month. I am on an older unlimited plan that I do want to change from. The new unlimited plans are closer to matching what I get on the old plan. Is there any way to get around Verizon's fee and use the hotspot?
I'm on the same plan. There are two ways around this...

1. Purchase a factory unlocked phone. Im using a samsung gs8 with no issue.

2. Root your phone. Prior to receiving my GS note 8, I had no issue using gs5 or gs7 edge with my vzw rooted device.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
C

cjanicke

Reaction score
Just get the new unlimited data plan, I had the old plan as well. You get hotspot capability, ability to upgrade your phone, and you're not stealing.

Not stealing? I wasn't stealing with my Moto X. I had an unlocked phone that was fully functional. Verizon prevents the use of the hotspot on an otherwise capable phone. Your accusation needs to be taken back.

OP
C

cjanicke

Reaction score
I'm on the same plan. There are two ways around this...

1. Purchase a factory unlocked phone. Im using a samsung gs8 with no issue.

2. Root your phone. Prior to receiving my GS note 8, I had no issue using gs5 or gs7 edge with my vzw rooted device.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I know you can request the phone to be unlocked. I'm not sure if that would work at that point.
I've always been intimidated by the whole rooting process.

Sicfast

Reaction score
Not stealing? I wasn't stealing with my Moto X. I had an unlocked phone that was fully functional. Verizon prevents the use of the hotspot on an otherwise capable phone. Your accusation needs to be taken back.
Nope, I had the same plan you did up until recently. The grandfathered unlimited data plan for $29/mo DOES NOT INCLUDE tethering according to the terms of service. Tiered plans and the new unlimited plan allow for hot spot functionality. Sorry, but just because you think you should have something doesn't mean they owe it to you.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8

locked or unlocked, tethering did not come with the plan. you just got lucky :)