Verizon has taken down the change log for our Gingerbread update!

Asphyx

Reaction score
I don't think you can expect a HTC QWERTY slider on Verizon. They have Motorola DROID series for that; do you honestly think they'd ask HTC to make them a new device that duplicates an existing one?

The main issue with Verizon is that they need to get manufacturers to make phones almost “exclusively” for them due to using CDMA as the standard. Most Android phones are GSM because GSM is present everywhere.

You should do more research before you make your posts...
Verizon is NOT the only CDMA carrier in fact there are more CDMA carriers in the US than there are GSM carriers!

Sprint the chief rival.

HTC already makes a slider phone. CDMA ONLY too! It's called the HTC Arrive and used to be known as the HD7Pro.
It is available in a Win7 Phone!

They also make the EVO Shift 4G if you want a Slider with Android.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Asphyx, I know you're in the USA and there's nothing outside America.

But just imagine this: in Europe (that fictional, strange land beyond the sea), GSM is everywhere. CDMA? Not at all.
In Japan (an even more fictional land beyond the sea) an US CDMA phone like the D2 won't work because they use different standards.

Why would a manufacturer mass-produce models that will be only used in a few select countries?

Also I thought we're talking about Android smartphones?

HTC Arrive uses Windows Phone 7. There's HTC Desire Z with similar tech specs, but it runs Android. And has the same QWERTY slider form factor. The difference is in the CPU clock (800MHz on Desire Z, and 1GHz on Arrive).

Asphyx

Reaction score
Whats the matter Gas man?

Don't like it when someone corrects you on points?

Point is HTC does make sliders for use in CDMA.

Now maybe the next time you decide to give someone else attitude as you did just recently in regards to Ice Cream you will figure out your not exactly the brightest bulb on the planet and should just stop acting like you are!

Yes there is a whole planet around the US!
I been around it 5 times already on tours!

Which is why I have a global phone!

MrHatchi87

Reaction score
Lol well said. Let's not get a 2nd thread locked hahaha. As for GB, it will come when it does. No amount of complaining on this forum ( or any for that matter ) will push moto or verizon to release it. Let's all just bite the bullet and wait... and for those who don't wanna wait, find another phone. (Harsh... maybe... ) I want GB just as much as the others :)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Asphyx

Reaction score
Nah no worries of that...my point I think was made using his own choice of words to make them. lol

As for the D2 GLOBAL update, it will come eventually. I don't really think it matters much as by the time they release it (or soon after) Cyanogen will be running on the D2G 100% and no one will want to take stock, lose root and have to SBF back to install CM7.

There are plenty of better ROMs than current stock out there now, better battery, no blur that could and should be used right now.

And I hold out hope that they will insert the unlock bootloader code in whatever release they make because if they went back to the drawing board on GB for the D2G their current Android source probably already contains it since Atrix. if you look at Moto Source you see they tend to make one BLUR that they use overlays to build individual model varieties of the same OS.

lieblax

Reaction score
I have been waiting for this update for so long and have decided that I am done. I will now throw caution to the wind and finally flash a rom.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
A very short while ago, actually, rev stated that CM4D2G could've gone official but the only reason it hasn't gone official yet is b/c it would become harder to implement small fixes. I'll probably run stock for the next week in hopes that the 7/27 update rumor is correct...Or if the soak test is then. If the latter's the case, someone make sure to upload the update file.

leobg

Reaction score
Call me a pessimist, but I very highly doubt we will see an update before September (if at all... now that's too pessimistic :) ).

Running custom rom like CM4D2G won't fix some crucial problems that rely on fixing stuff in baseband software or kernel, unfortunately.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
And even after the new firmware is out, CM7 on D2G will probably still run on 2.4.330 kernel and baseband.

MrHatchi87

Reaction score
A very short while ago, actually, rev stated that CM4D2G could've gone official but the only reason it hasn't gone official yet is b/c it would become harder to implement small fixes. I'll probably run stock for the next week in hopes that the 7/27 update rumor is correct...Or if the soak test is then. If the latter's the case, someone make sure to upload the update file.

I would like to think the soak is happening soon.. *runs off to check email from motorola* lol as for the 27th, where did u read that? Granted I haven't looked at new things about GB for a week or so

SpaZZoiD

Reaction score
They prob wont release the ota for the d2 because they know by not doing so it will help d3 sales!!

Verizon is just all about money now. Me and my family have been with verizon since they were bell atlantic, i dont know the exact years but its a long long time. And lately i been really thinking about moving to a diff company, maybe AT&T.......

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Byakushiki

Reaction score
I'll probably be jumping to sprint sometime...
Sure they don't have droid. But they do have the nexus. (The only phone you can RELIABLY get an ota for...unless the carrier wants to piss off google :laugh:)

Asphyx

Reaction score
I would like to think the soak is happening soon.. *runs off to check email from motorola* lol as for the 27th, where did u read that? Granted I haven't looked at new things about GB for a week or so

He said it two or three days ago and he's right it probably could get official (squeak by) if submitted.

But there is a lot still not working AFAIC and he should really wait until we get through a week of nightlies where no one reports any issues or problems and they get a clean install from the get go.

Right now there are intermittent permission problems a flipped camera, no Compass, finicky WiFi, one way Bluetooth, have to reboot to switch radio systems and thats a lot of "Not Working" to attempt an official submission.

MrHatchi87

Reaction score
I would love to switch to Sprint for their phones, but since 99% of the people i know and my fiance and her family and my family are on Verizon, its just cheaper to stick with them... granted if the dont pull their heads out of their butts, i might be able to convince my fiance to switch... hahaha :p ( and im BORED at work, and killing time by bumping posts )

pbarch1

Reaction score
I un-rooted my phone 3 weeks ago waiting for GB and I have say I'm about done waiting. I too have been with VZ for years, 12 of them, all my business phones too. All they do is keep raising my companies rates give us crappy bandwidth and make using a global phone a real pain in the ass. And god forbid we get 4g our bill will double....
I've been looking and Sprint is looking pretty good.
Sorry for the rant