Verizon Guy is Being Fired

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
paul-mararelli-2011-fired.jpg

The Verizon Guy, (real name Paul Marcarelli), is being let-go from the company. It isn't anything negative that he has or hasn't done... apparently, Verizon is going to be taking their new ad campaign in a different direction. He has been under a strict contract not to discuss anything regarding his ad campaign outside of Verizon. He will still be kept on for a while to do some unspecified work, but he will no longer be the "Can you hear me now?" guy.

He was informed of this via email last September, but he isn't too broken up about it, since he has made a lot (amount undisclosed) of money from it. Also, his fame in the "role" has been a double-edged sword. He recounts one moment at his grandmother's funeral while she was being lowered into the ground, someone said "Can you hear me now?"

He isn't bitter about anything, however, and had this to say about continuing a career in acting,
"There’s a price to pay,” Marcarelli says of his Verizon years. “Don’t feel bad for me, but I’m definitely glad that chapter is over. Most people my age are now trying to trade in their street cred for money, and I kind of made my money. I still want to make something of value.”

Source: Engadget and TheAtlantic.com

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
That's crazy but I'm sure he has made enough money that he doesnt have much to worry about at all

GrillMouster

Reaction score
Now tha t VZW has the iphone, it's too hip to have a dorky-looking guy as it's public face.

illmatic636

Reaction score
I remember this. It was right around the "Rule the Air" campaign was going to start for Vzw. I also remember them saying they were dropping the "wireless" from the sub co name. I guess just Verizon.

But this guy has made a killing. It's to bad he couldn't copyright the phrase "can you hear me now? Good.. Then again, it's nothing like " LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

alquix

Reaction score
scoop up cathrine zeta jones when t-mobile gets bought out <3
yum yum yum yum yum

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Wow. cool the dude is also ready to move on. But, I am also quite sure he will be missing that regular paycheck...its not like he was making millions while he was "Can you hear me now Guy"...:)

edbdroid

Reaction score
Wow. cool the dude is also ready to move on. But, I am also quite sure he will be missing that regular paycheck...its not like he was making millions while he was "Can you hear me now Guy"...:)

I dunno about millions, but he made plenty of bank. He won't ever have to work again if he chooses not to.

Reaction score
Honestly I think Verizon's making a good move here...his ads were running a little long in the tooth and he looks like he's aged a bit since the young geek-a-fied dude with glasses who first busted on the scene...like what, 10 years ago?

Not that the new Xoom ads are any better with the young Mass Effect look alike character "grabbing" his tablet while it "grabs" him...but hey, this guy advertised a network and not the new generation of tablet hardware!