Verizon Goes From Evil Maniac To Perfect Angel, Kills Throttling UDP, Instead announces Double Data

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

This week has been a roller coaster for anyone on a grandfathered unlimited data plan. For months now we have been expecting Verizon to throttle data for the top 5% of users on congested towers starting promptly today. This caused lots of chaos and heart burn for those of us still on a legacy UDP. Many of you decided to jump ship and move onto brighter pastures with a shiny new carrier, a few of you upgraded and moved over to a limited data plan to avoid throttling, while even fewer of you worked the system and used the best buy glitch to upgrade your device while keeping unlimited data (locking you into a two year contract guaranteeing that you would not be throttled). As it turns out none of this was necessary.

No one knows why Verizon decided not to go through with their "network optimization" plan. My guess is that it could have been one of a few things. Either Verizon was being hounded by the FCC and caved, or they buckled under the pressure of a few angry consumers, or they really do care about their customers and wanted to provide a more appealing option for the data hogs. Verizon did get quite a bit of backlash from different media outlets, and the FCC did write a letter to Verizon telling them they better be careful with throttling.

I feel like this all may have been a scare tactic to weed out the last few UDP subscribers, but as other carriers decided to double data, Verizon felt the pressure to not be the only carrier to not do the same. They probably also figured that these plans with more data might actually be appealing to UDP subs, and would be a way to slowly coerce them to a tiered data plan.

With Verizon's new More Everything Plans 12GB turns into 15GB, 16GB turns into 30GB, 20GB turns into 40GB and tiers double from there. As you can see the plans with less data are unaffected. This means that you still have to pay a pretty penny for a decent amount of data. I would be comfortable sharing 30GB so for me I would have to pay $80 for two device access fees + $130 for the 30GB my total cost would be $210 a month which is still ludicrous. I am just happy to have my unthrottled unlimited data still. What do you think. Has Verizon gone from Evil Maniac to Perfect Angel?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I wouldn't go with "prefect angel", but I think it was a wise move on their part whatever the reason. Perhaps they realized the whole scheme just didn't make sense, or this "scare tactic" actually got more people to make a pre-emptive move off their UDPs. Whatever the case, those of us that used the "wait and see" approach are quite pleased with the end result.

tap'n on my S5

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't know about the evil maniac to perfect angel, but I know one thing for sure as I've experienced in the past and as I've gotten wiser (older), calmer heads tend to prevail. I didn't move my plan from my coveted unlimited data for my 2 phones, and have no plans in doing so because as far as I'm concerned no other carrier in the entire nation provides coverage like verizon does. Also, I've been a customer of Verizon, aka Bell Atlantic mobile for 20 years now and have the same phone numbers for that length of time. During that 20 years, Verizon has provided me with numerous upgrades and has given me credit to my account and sent me accessories free of charge, and even replaced phones they were out of warranty. All I had to do was complain long enough and with enough graciousness. I wouldn't get nearly the support from any of the other carriers that I have from Verizon historically and so as a result they'll have to tear my unlimited data plans for my dying hands.

Last edited:

bigmatt503

Reaction score
I don't know about the evil maniac to perfect angel, but I know one thing for sure as I've experienced in the past and as I've gotten wiser (older), calmer heads tend to prevail. I didn't move my plan from my coveted unlimited data for my 2 phones, and have no plans in doing so because as far as I'm concerned no other carrier in the entire nation provides coverage like verizon does. Also, I've been a customer of Verizon, aka Bell Atlantic mobile for 20 years now and have the same phone numbers for that length of time. During that 20 years, Verizon has provided me with numerous upgrades and has given me credit to my account and sent me accessories free of charge, and even replaced phones they were out of warranty. All I had to do was complain long enough and with enough graciousness. I wouldn't get nearly the support from any of the other carriers that I have from Verizon historically and so as a result they'll have to tear my unlimited data plans for my dying hands.
Well put Mr. Foxkat

Sent from my rooted galaxy s5 using Tapatalk pro

Last edited by a moderator:

swc2001

Reaction score
I am soooo confused. Either it was a scare tactic or lots of people complained (myself included as well as the FCC)
Yeah I wasnt about to jump ship until I could see how bad the damage of throttling was going to be. Like I said before.... I cant imagine they would throttle down past 1.5-2 Mbps, and if that had been the case I could still stream the crap outta Netflix on my phone.

Can anyone give a reference to the News of our Reprieve from the Evil Verizon?

ASUTodd

Reaction score
Mine went from 14mbps to .25 mbps........ at one point it even dipped to .09mbps. As soon as the announcement came out that they were no longer throttling, it shot back up to 6 mbps. I was sitting at 63gigs of data when all this went down. Im glad they backed off.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
63?!?!?!? Wow... How do you use that much data in a month?

ASUTodd

Reaction score
63?!?!?!? Wow... How do you use that much data in a month?
I use it as my home internet.... Netflix, HBOgo, two little boys watching youtube and playing games..... you name it!

Last edited:

swc2001

Reaction score
by the way.... just curious.... what is Verizons Early termination fee on a cell phone line?

swc2001

Reaction score
I am wondering if you upgrade a phone from dumb phone to smart phone..... and then decide to do early termination... how would that work.
Especially if you do some black friday deal like they had last year on the Galaxy s4 where the device was free.
SOooo if you had said free device and the terminate you would pay what.... basically 250 for a device? then you could swap that over to your UDP line... right? or do they take the device back?

Or could you just keep making the line inactive over and over again instead of terminating it?
just looking for loop holes to try and get my wife a new phone without losing her UDP. Also trying to avoid ebay if possible. and we dont have 600 to blow on a phone right now. LOL

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
They put the kibosh on that type of swapping of phones in order to keep your UDP a few months ago.
The Best Buy glitch that DMX mentioned yesterday is your only option at this point. (For what you're looking to do)

tap'n on my S5

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
They need to do away with anything less then 10gb data plans and then I would consider giving up my unlimited. But as long as they still offer 2gb for 3x the price of my unlimited...common sense prevails.