Verizon GN Has Really Bad Wireless Signal? (not 4G/3G)

GoBears

Reaction score
It also has the most lag by far of any the big phones, so make sure you give the guy all the facts before you go recommending. It's all in what's important to the person.

Syraz

Reaction score
Only have had my nexus 5days now but with both 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 radios never had any issue what so ever with wife, 3g or 4g, I am suprised how well it has worked here in Portland. and Wife both at work *which sucks* and at home it never has issues.

GoBears

Reaction score
Check the forums for all the phones you are considering. They all have pluses and minuses. Don't listen to any hate comments and just read for yourself. I'm pretty sure you can only switch to a different kind of device once and then you're stuck with that kind. So choose wisely if you decide to give up on the Nex.

OP
D

daudi81

Reaction score
Well - I actually think I'm going to keep it around for a few more days and see if I can get this 4.0.4 update to work. I'm not a big hacker/customizer so this will be new to me.

I've seen the posts about the Nexus on this forum and how it is giving people nightmares (rebooting, super slow 4G/3G switching, mic issues, etc) - and my ONLY issue seems to be the wireless function (not 3G/4G). And since I don't have really any 3G/4G problems, aside from it being slower than everyone else's, and my data-plan is unlimited, I can live without wireless.

I'm afraid if I take it back and get a different one I will risk getting one with all the other problems I don't want.

And after seeing some other people's results with 4G in my same area (4-5mbit average), I don't think mine is particularly slow in 4G. My wife's Tbolt is faster but it's not by a huge margin.

I think the OS is super sexy, and the phone looks sleek. I went to try out the Razr today (about 30 minutes ago) and that thing was WIDE. I don't see the draw to it being thinner if it makes up for it in width. Doesn't make sense to me.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Up to you daudi. Well good to hear your data speeds are normal, wifi connectivity looks to be a problem still.

SniperDroid

Reaction score
:D:D:D:D probably one of the more expensive targets you'd ever shoot at./QUOTE]

It doesen't even make the top ten.... but the speeds he's getting overall would indicate some sort of problem in the phone. Even in a crappy area, if he's getting 4g at all, he should be double that. I hope he keeps us informed on the final results. Or he can PM me for an address to mail the target to.

Sorry, booted the quote...

Last edited:

GoBears

Reaction score
We just got 4G in the area I work. My speeds vary from low 20's to around 3Mb. So his speeds are normal for weak 4G. On a ski slope I clocked in a 57Mb download so I know my phone is good.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
:D:D:D:D probably one of the more expensive targets you'd ever shoot at./QUOTE]

It doesen't even make the top ten.... but the speeds he's getting overall would indicate some sort of problem in the phone. Even in a crappy area, if he's getting 4g at all, he should be double that. I hope he keeps us informed on the final results. Or he can PM me for an address to mail the target to.

Sorry, booted the quote...
:D

Yeah OP, I would definitely try to get another Nexus. Sounds like a radio issue to me.

OP
D

daudi81

Reaction score
Dang - I was all excited this morning on my drive to work and I was getting 20mbit speeds on 4G. But once I get to work I can barely even get 4G, and I'm lucky to get above 1mbit at work today.

Sucks.

OP
D

daudi81

Reaction score
Just a quick update - I went to the store and checked out other phones - compared their speeds to mine and there wasn't any difference.

I guess 4G just isn't great in some areas in my state. Good to know it's not my phone.

I did take it upon myself to drive around the city to check different areas, and what a difference location makes. I would get 20+mbit in some spots, and 500ft more I would only get 9mbit. It seems I'm very unlucky where I work because I get horrible 4G signal there (1-3mbit) - and it seems everywhere else in the city is just fine, and wouldn't dip below 8-9mbit and stayed in 4G no matter where I was at.

I also get poor speeds at home, but I live up on the mountain so I think I'm lucky I even get 4G up here.

terrym041

Reaction score
How do I check the speed of my data I have a rzr

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

nadav64

Reaction score
Well to tell you the truth I also have wifi problems.
Wifi wise my gnex is very weak and in comparison to the 4s the gnex is trash.
I hope that this problem is only because ics is still considered a baby and it yet has to grow and get optimized.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
:D:D:D:D probably one of the more expensive targets you'd ever shoot at.

But yeah he's really getting slow speeds even for 4g. I've never heard 4g speeds that low even in weak signal areas. The wifi speed could be due to the service he paid for.

I'm no expert or anything....but I think his speeds are about right IF in a weak, bad reception area. On my Rezound, RAZR and G Nex they all averaged about what he got in certain areas, maybe 2Mbps higher. I never get over 10Mbps near my house or near my job. Double was possible too tho. I just had to be lucky and find those spots.

Just a quick update - I went to the store and checked out other phones - compared their speeds to mine and there wasn't any difference.

I guess 4G just isn't great in some areas in my state. Good to know it's not my phone.

I did take it upon myself to drive around the city to check different areas, and what a difference location makes. I would get 20+mbit in some spots, and 500ft more I would only get 9mbit. It seems I'm very unlucky where I work because I get horrible 4G signal there (1-3mbit) - and it seems everywhere else in the city is just fine, and wouldn't dip below 8-9mbit and stayed in 4G no matter where I was at.

I also get poor speeds at home, but I live up on the mountain so I think I'm lucky I even get 4G up here.

Yea...it like that sometimes for reception. As for Wifi...my G Nex had a better Wifi range, signal than my RAZR. I think you might have a bad G Nex as far as wifi. I get about 27Mbps down with my Rezound testing right now right next to my router. I never really did a speed test on wifi with my G Nex tho. Someone is using my RAZR right now. Did you test wifi speeds right next to your router at home? Could be the router settings. How many wireless things do you have connected to your router? Did you try a factory reset?

Just throwing everything out there right now...lol.

Last edited: