verizon GN for GSM

carpenter

Reaction score
Is that possible to have rooted and unlocked GN work with gsm network?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
No, it's not. There is no GSM radio in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

OP
C

carpenter

Reaction score
how about note 2? i mean, can u use it in us gsm network after unlocking?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
how about note 2? i mean, can u use it in us gsm network after unlocking?

The Note 2 comes GSM unlocked, and it should work with international GSM carriers outside the U.S. right out of the box. However, I've seen no confirmation that it will work on U.S. carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile. Most of the time, Verizon's GSM-capable devices will not work with domestic GSM SIM cards (they'll only work with international GSM SIM cards). The Droid DNA and iPhone 5 are a couple of the exceptions to that rule in that they do work some domestic GSM networks, but I'm not sure with the Note 2.

OP
C

carpenter

Reaction score
How come iphone5 is so universal? Its not marked "global" in verizon store.
I am wondering how verizon lock their dual mode (cdma/gsm) phones if they even after unlock not usable in other network. that is crazy. Is they will work after rooting?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
How come iphone5 is so universal? Its not marked "global" in verizon store.
I am wondering how verizon lock their dual mode (cdma/gsm) phones if they even after unlock not usable in other network. that is crazy. Is they will work after rooting?

The iPhone 5 is marked as being a global device on Verizon's website.

As for how Verizon locks out domestic GSM carriers on many of their phones, it's a combination of software and hardware locks. This is something they've been doing for years in an effort to keep people from using their exclusive devices on AT&T and/or T-Mobile. The only way to get those phones working on a domestic carrier is through flashing software that would have to be leaked directly from Verizon or the phone's OEM. This has happened with some older phones, but it's not something that happens regularly. It's not the sort of thing that simply rooting or flashing a custom ROM can fix.

All Verizon LTE phone with working GSM capabilities come unlocked out of the box for international GSM use. But more and more Verizon phones are being found to be unlocked for domestic GSM use as well. I already mentioned the Droid DNA and the iPhone 5, and now the HTC 8X (Windows Phone) has been found to be completely unlocked out of the box. In order to find out if the Note 2 will work on domestic GSM carriers, all you need is for someone who has one to pop in an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM card and test it out.

OP
C

carpenter

Reaction score
The iPhone 5 is marked as being a global device on Verizon's website.

As for how Verizon locks out domestic GSM carriers on many of their phones, it's a combination of software and hardware locks. This is something they've been doing for years in an effort to keep people from using their exclusive devices on AT&T and/or T-Mobile. The only way to get those phones working on a domestic carrier is through flashing software that would have to be leaked directly from Verizon or the phone's OEM. This has happened with some older phones, but it's not something that happens regularly. It's not the sort of thing that simply rooting or flashing a custom ROM can fix.

All Verizon LTE phone with working GSM capabilities come unlocked out of the box for international GSM use. But more and more Verizon phones are being found to be unlocked for domestic GSM use as well. I already mentioned the Droid DNA and the iPhone 5, and now the HTC 8X (Windows Phone) has been found to be completely unlocked out of the box. In order to find out if the Note 2 will work on domestic GSM carriers, all you need is for someone who has one to pop in an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM card and test it out.
Thank you so much!