Verizon Getting Smart About Rooting Warrenty?

hendrixj92

Reaction score
Ive had my droid since April. and i rooted as soon as i got it. but i had to unroot to go get it replace because of a keyboard malfunction. i got there and they said something was wrong with my warranty. but i blamed it on the fact i bought it from an authorized retailer and not a verizon store, and they screwed up. which very well could be the case. or is it that they know when we root our phones?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Did you remove all the files/folders associated with rooting? Did you leave the Superuser App, Setcpu, or any other app that we use on rooted phones? If so, they may think they know the phone was rooted based on that sort of thing.

FrostMan

Reaction score
When you say authorized dealer, do you mean like best buy, etc? If that's the case you need to get a replacement from wherever you got it from, not Verizon.

OP
hendrixj92

hendrixj92

Reaction score
Did you remove all the files/folders associated with rooting? Did you leave the Superuser App, Setcpu, or any other app that we use on rooted phones? If so, they may think they know the phone was rooted based on that sort of thing.

absolutely. not a single file that would leave them to believe its rooted. even erased clockwork recovery and double check to make sure the stock recovery was on there.

When you say authorized dealer, do you mean like best buy, etc? If that's the case you need to get a replacement from wherever you got it from, not Verizon.

ya. i prob should have. but verizon was alot closer.

did they say WHAT was wrong?

all they said was there was a problem with the warrenty. but they overrided the problem cause they didnt wanna deal with it

lkariher

Reaction score
did they say WHAT was wrong?

all they said was there was a problem with the warrenty. but they overrided the problem cause they didnt wanna deal with it[/QUOTE]

You got lucky if you went into an apple store, which I ded with a broken, jailbroken, Ipod Touch when the genius guy saw it he took it and said yes this is broken, but your warranty is voided because the bootloader was a pineapple not an apple, don't ask. He said he could make no acceptions and gave me back my broken Ipod.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

it doesn't matter where you got your phone, best buy, wirefly, letstalk, amazon...ETC you can take them all back to verizon for replacement or to return within the 30 days.

FlipBack

Reaction score
This is worrysome. I need to get my Droid replaced(ear piece stopped functioning, it is VERY difficult to get it to charge, doesn't make a good connection easily) and I had it rooted. I have returned to it to stock 2.2 and stock recovery, did a data and cache wipe, etc. Didn't even bother signing into google so it's all stock apps as well. I'm gonna put everything I need off of the SD card and put it on my computer, and then format it too.

Am I gonna have a problem??

icebluemale30

Reaction score
This is worrysome. I need to get my Droid replaced(ear piece stopped functioning, it is VERY difficult to get it to charge, doesn't make a good connection easily) and I had it rooted. I have returned to it to stock 2.2 and stock recovery, did a data and cache wipe, etc. Didn't even bother signing into google so it's all stock apps as well. I'm gonna put everything I need off of the SD card and put it on my computer, and then format it too.

Am I gonna have a pem??

i doubt it i called Verizon told them i had trouble with my phone did a lil trouble shooting with them over the phone acted like it was still broke they said they will send me out a new one did the sbf unroot method manually update to 2.1-update then ota froyo 2.2 then sent it back got text telling me all was good ......done just don't send them your battery or SD card dancedroid

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not saying this is the case but something to consider.

Perhaps the CS at VZW was having a bad day and wanted to make you feel he/she was going out of the way to help and replace your phone.

My sense is that unless the CS you spoke with has a Droid and is up-to-speed on rooting they are not going to spend sufficient time looking to see if you ever rooted.

If you make a reasonable effort at removing the files used in rooting (SPR, ClockWorkmod, Super User Apps) and apps that only run in rooted phones you will be fine.

My two cents.

Mike